Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the US, interfering with the mail is a federal offence. Should this not be considered similarly?

Edit: to clarify, interfering with delivery of mail to specific recipients is clearly different from going on strike and not delivering anything, before someone makes that argument

Besides, seems like they could just licence the car in neighboring country since they have to truck them in anyways, then the end user transfers it just like they bought a car used.

Last edited:
What started all this? What was the trigger?

Tesla’s been selling and servicing cars in Sweden for years. Why is this boiling over now? Did IF Metall suddenly decide they needed to inflate their dues and Tesla was the next target?

Tesla would rather pick up and leave Sweden altogether, even if it hurts the owners that live there, than agree to extortion. And they will point the finger, rightly so, to IF Metall if that happens.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say it was triggered by the long time campaign by Russia to stir up conflict all over the world. In Sweden we now have several public burnings of Korans, criminal gangs shooting each other and by-passers, IF Metalls conflict and more..

And I would of course completely disagree with this statement. :rolleyes:

Nordic model is to have both employers unions and employees unions. And those unions negotiate the collective agreements between themselves.

An individual company or its employees don't really have any say in these negotiations.
So two middlemen instead of one that employees and employers simply need to trust are working on their behalf!?

Unions are selfish, evil, propaganda machines. End of story.

As opposed to whoever ran this sweat shop complex back in 2011 then... Or?...

I mean – only 1,134 DEAD and some 2,500 injured.

But yeah... The 'real evil' here is Swedish Trade unions(!)...

Sure buddy.

Mail delivery holding is worse than hostage taking. It's the lowest level of civilization.

I wonder what the relatives to Jewish hostages in Gaza would say about that statement...

The amount of hyperbole in this thread...

Tesla is allegedly already meeting or exceeding the conditions in IF Metall's Collective agreement, so what's the problem? Why can't Tesla just sign it like everyone else in Sweden?

What is the Mission of Tesla again?

Is the Mission to advance sustainable transport or to crush the Trade unions on this Planet?

How would a planet without Trade unions be a better place for the majority of the workers on this Planet?

Last edited:
Here in the US, interfering with the mail is a federal offence. Should this not be considered similarly?

Edit: to clarify, interfering with delivery of mail to specific recipients is clearly different from going on strike and not delivering anything, before someone makes that argument

Besides, seems like they could just licence the car in neighboring country since they have to truck them in anyways, then the end user transfers it just like they bought a car used.
Seems there should be a law suit in there somewhere, but who knows in Sweden. Their efforts target a specific business and demographic of the population (in order to get more money from Tesla, extortion was already mentioned). Maybe it hasn't happened yet because it hasn't been an insurmountable barrier so far (just detours with ways around it). And just maybe... the more Sweden pushes it, the stronger the case (if there is one). More rope please?

It sure doesn't look good on the country or people IMHO. May need to recommend people drive around it in the future. To an extreme, this could affect tourism AND business in general. Although it's only one labor organization, still they are all teaming up to block Tesla deliveries from different fields.

I'm already annoyed at Sweden over this. To me, they are selling out to big oil - elephant in the room. I wouldn't doubt union money is benefiting from this financially. Again, I don't know all the facts or laws, but it's how I feel and what I suspect that has tainted the entire country for me.

That's it... No more meatballs!!!

Reactions: mars_or_bust
Seems there should be a law suit in there somewhere, but who knows in Sweden. Their efforts target a specific business and demographic of the population (in order to get more money from Tesla, extortion was already mentioned). Maybe it hasn't happened yet because it hasn't been an insurmountable barrier so far (just detours with ways around it). And just maybe... the more Sweden pushes it, the stronger the case (if there is one). More rope please?

It sure doesn't look good on the country or people IMHO. May need to recommend people drive around it in the future. To an extreme, this could affect tourism AND business in general. Although it's only one labor organization, still they are all teaming up to block Tesla deliveries from different fields.

I'm already annoyed at Sweden over this. To me, they are selling out to big oil - elephant in the room. I wouldn't doubt union money is benefiting from this financially. Again, I don't know all the facts or laws, but it's how I feel and what I suspect that has tainted the entire country for me.

That's it... No more meatballs!!!
Before anyone replies, my same distaste goes for the US push back as well. And if they could, I'm sure unions would hold mail or stop the trains as well. Try not to take this personally (here anyway).

But Sweden went a bit too far and looking like the whole country is joining in... it's the optics for me. Just like that non-Tesla fire on the Rainbow bridge yesterday, which caused my YouTube feed to start showing blazing Tesla's, all day! (I was actually hoping it was a Hydrogen vehicle, put that silliness to rest).

Reactions: mars_or_bust
As opposed to whoever ran this sweat shop complex back in 2011 then... Or?...

I mean – only 1,134 DEAD and some 2,500 injured.

But yeah... The 'real evil' here is Swedish Trade unions(!)...

Sure buddy.
No, not evil. Stupid. Idiotic. Moronic. Insane. Ridiculous. Self-serving. Did I mention stupid?

And now you think a trade union touting goodness and light for members, that is threatening the existence of dozens and dozens of businesses and the jobs of hundreds and hundreds of fellow Swedish workers with absolutely no dog in the fight, is somehow going to save the people of Bangladesh from being exploited!?

Give your head a shake.

Next you’ll be telling us that the people of Bangladesh and the rest of the world should have followed Sweden’s herd immunity program and been better off for it.

Sure buddy.

... and by "distaste" I mean how unions push their agenda's on non-union both in the news and in the courts. I'm on the fence re unions as likely one of the only forms of real leverage workers have to push back on slavery wages in some cases. I'm for fairness, but not a cult with required dues and mismanaged power and money both.

I wonder how many Swedish union folks are frustrated by the country's actions, maybe even embarrassed. (Hang in there, I get it, it's your job). FYI, Norway is all in and they're right next door.

I wonder what the relatives to Jewish hostages in Gaza would say about that statement...

The amount of hyperbole in this thread...
Indeed. Glad you can recognize it.
Tesla is allegedly already meeting or exceeding the conditions in IF Metall's Collective agreement, so what's the problem? Why can't Tesla just sign it like everyone else in Sweden?
Because they don’t have to according to your own country’s labor laws. That’s why.

Because as has been explained to you before Tesla has expressed to the union and the mediator, the collective agreement does not allow Tesla to maintain their business culture, a requirement for executing The Mission. That’s why.

Because overwhelmingly Tesla employees don’t want a collective agreement. That’s why.

And don’t be hyperbolic, not everyone else has a collective agreement.
What is the Mission of Tesla again?

Is the Mission to advance sustainable transport or to crush the Trade unions on this Planet?
🤦‍ Again with the hyperbole. Tesla isn’t trying to crush a trade union, they simply don’t want to be part of it. Democracy anyone?

Someone has forgotten who started the fight. Hint: wasn’t Tesla. But rest assured Tesla will finish it so they can carry on with The Mission in the way they want to.

Tesla doesn’t owe you, your country, or IF Metall squat.
How would a planet without Trade unions be a better place for the majority of the workers on this Planet?
Strawman much?

Last edited:
Before anyone replies, my same distaste goes for the US push back as well. And if they could, I'm sure unions would hold mail or stop the trains as well. Try not to take this personally (here anyway).

But Sweden went a bit too far and looking like the whole country is joining in... it's the optics for me. Just like that non-Tesla fire on the Rainbow bridge yesterday, which caused my YouTube feed to start showing blazing Tesla's, all day! (I was actually hoping it was a Hydrogen vehicle, put that silliness to rest).
Optics!? That’s what concerns you?

I’d think the fact that Tesla is already following or exceeding Swedish labor laws while the majority of their employees are entirely content with their jobs, is being attacked by a single union that has the power to threaten and force other unions and their members to strike against Tesla and hurt Swedish workers, citizens, and businesses that have no dog in the fight, don’t want to be part of the fight etc…is really the concerning thing.
No?

Because the union will then use their position to take advantage of Tesla. Look at the ridiculous demands the UAW made in the US, and how they used extortion to squeeze a deal out of them.

You literally just admitted that Tesla is meeting or exceeding the conditions of the agreement. They are already doing this on their own free will, without a union twisting their arm. What then is the purpose of a collective agreement? So the employees lose their stock options? Great, now they don't get to benefit proportionally in the company's success. Is it so the employees can pay dues? I'm sure they'd love that. Is it so that the employees must strike whenever the union orders them to do so?

Wow, so many benefits. No wonder all of Tesla's employees are chomping at the bit to join the union.

Last edited:
Optics!? That’s what concerns you?

I’d think the fact that Tesla is already following or exceeding Swedish labor laws while the majority of their employees are entirely content with their jobs, is being attacked by a single union that has the power to threaten and force other unions and their members to strike against Tesla and hurt Swedish workers, citizens, and businesses that have no dog in the fight, don’t want to be part of the fight etc…is really the concerning thing.
No?
Well, there's that too. ;)