Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all of the AI training software runs in Python and Tesla has developed a Python compiler / interpreter for Dojo.

I remember when he presented it. What a crazy insane feat for a car company to have done all it took to get to the point where they could abstracted it so the customer(the FSD team) only had to change one line of code...

I got asked if the cybertruck was profitable in first quarter. Was that broken out in the 1st quarter report?

In the Q1 24 update letter Tesla wrote:

Profitability
Our operating income decreased YoY to $1.2B in Q1, resulting in a 5.5% operating margin.YoY, operating income was primarily impacted by the following items:
- reduced vehicle ASP due to pricing and mix
- increase in operating expenses partly driven by AI, cell advancements and other R&D projects
- cost of Cybertruck production ramp

So probably not profitable in Q1 on average. However, they might have already been profitable at the end of the quarter or become profitable any week while on the steep part of the ramp. Does anyone remember at what point in the ramp the other vehicles Tesla launched became profitable? Maybe one roughly can express that as a percentage of the output that the line was designed for? My gut feeling would be that maybe they could break even in Q2 and be profitable afterwards but that´s just a guess.

Amazing news, Tesla had to compromise here potentially with partnerning with Baidu but this opens up billions in profits from FSD for the future.

Don't know why is the mapping function is related to FSD? Tesla doesn't do mapping. I think Tesla uses Google in US and Baidu in China for mapping function, FSD or not?

Considering this deal comes right after Elon's trip, it is probably related to FSD. I think Baidu probably provides more than "mapping and navigation function".

Amazing news, Tesla had to compromise here potentially with partnerning with Baidu but this opens up billions in profits from FSD for the future.
AFAIK Tesla still gets maps from google outside of china, so its just swapping google for a local map partner? I think Tesla still uses google for route planning too. FSD does the moment-by-moment driving, but it doesn't handle planning a route. It doesn't know about toll roads and road closures. Thats a higher level piece of planning that sits seperate to the car-control aspect driven by FSD.
Tesla probably thinks a baidu deal is fine, as otherwise they would use google anyway, and China gets to look like its in control by 'forcing' Tesla to partner with a Chinese company. Everyone's happy :D.*
*except shortsellers.

Nice pre market greenery
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.00.55.png

the-only-way-is-up-yazz.gif

Last edited:
AFAIK Tesla still gets maps from google outside of china, so its just swapping google for a local map partner? I think Tesla still uses google for route planning too. FSD does the moment-by-moment driving, but it doesn't handle planning a route. It doesn't know about toll roads and road closures. Thats a higher level piece of planning that sits seperate to the car-control aspect driven by FSD.
Tesla probably thinks a baidu deal is fine, as otherwise they would use google anyway, and China gets to look like its in control by 'forcing' Tesla to partner with a Chinese company. Everyone's happy :D.*
*except shortsellers.
This is a guess but teslas previously showcased that they can build their own maps in the US that are more than your typical road atlas and can piece together a map of the roads that shows how many lanes, is there an island, which lanes are left turn etc.

But China has data laws that might prevent them from building that.

Baidu has that kind of data for Chinese roads already. Tesla has for years already actually had a more detailed UI about roads in China than it has about US roads. This deal probably just lets Tesla use baidus maps in a way they don’t have a deal before for.

*except shortsellers.
Google does provide Tesla with road closures and traffic updates. Detours information usually happens on hwys more than city streets. Google is banned in China so they have to partner up with the google of China to enable fsd.

*except shortsellers.
Tesla has been using Baidu maps in China since 2020. They have been using Mapbox Valhalla for route planning in the rest of the world (not sure about China). They use Google only for map tiles and satellite view.

The only recent change with Baidu maps is the spring update with 3D buildings.

While Baidu's maps are fine, their self driving taxis suck. But I am not complaining as long as the SP goes up because legacy media has no idea what they are talking about 🤣

Last edited:
Tesla has been using Baidu maps in China since 2020. They have been using Mapbox Valhalla for route planning in the rest of the world (not sure about China). They use Google only for map tiles and satellite view.

The only recent change with Baidu maps is the spring update with 3D buildings.

While Baidu's maps are fine, their self driving taxis suck. But I am not complaining as long as the SP goes up because legacy media has no idea what they are talking about 🤣

Unless it was a deal something like "You must continue to use Baidu's maps and not start using Google's or another company for FSD roll out"