Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing need not be high rate to be feasible (in mild climates)

A smaller car will have better efficiency.
Say 200 Wh/mile
A 15 amp outlet is rated for 12A continuous
At 120V that's 1.4 kW (or < 10m² of solar panels, which is less area than a typical parking spot of ~15m²)
Knock off 200 watts for vehicle loads
1.2 kW net charge rate
6 miles/ hour
9 hour shift = 54 miles
12 hours at home = 72 miles
Average US commute is 41 miles

200 amp split phase continuous service can handle 32 such ports
Three phase 200A: 48
That's about right. But will they still get use of the Carpool lane? :p Eventually, this incentive gives way to some new minority, like BEV only lanes.

Within a few years, FSD will replace their vehicles due to rising price of ICE, including used ICE. Eventually, insurance will be too expensive for "driver" cars when those are the only one's having accidents - so that insurance coverage evaporates! Who would insure only the unsafe ones?

Renters will pay the least for these older apartments, followed by businesses who outfit chargers then raise the rent, parking permit, and/or power bill. It's a different business model where the parting spot has way-mo value.

Not everyone gets to own a vehicle in the future that owns one today. Many will need to let go from an economics perspective alone. Therefore, no need to equip every apt with charging. But the ones who invest in utility upgrades will maintain a relevant business model at least.

Reading on X that the German terrorism attack on the tesla factory is now expected to cost tesla in the 3 digit millions of dollars. And no expected restore date yet.

I still think Tesla needs to look at providing its own power infrastructure for the German factory. Now that the terrorists who did this know how easy it was to take an entire factory down and costing hundreds of millions of dollars in the process I can’t see them not planning more of these attacks. Even if tesla throws a billion bucks at the problem it is still cheaper than having this happen once or twice more.

Or maybe it’s just too expensive doing business in Germany.

Interesting times.

Reactions: Spacep0d
(ordinarily I don't feed the bears)

Autonomy is $199/month.

At the moment. Who says it will stay at that price? Might come down
Yes... and just wait until it is further integrated and scored more heavily for insurance purposes. Mine currently only fluctuates between $90-110 a month (2021 Model Y Performance). Allstate on this same vehicle was $200/mo (after all discounts). These prices could diverge even more.

I don't know if my insurance is less now because I use FSD Beta (as I've never not had it). But eventually FSD becomes (bundled with) your insurance - that's the future I see. Bigger penalty for driving on your own, but I could be wrong. It helps to look at this from the end state and try to figure out how we get there.

So by the time M2 comes out, 4680 should be ramped considerably. Tesla gets huge IRA credits for that. Also, battery raw materials prices could keep falling. Tesla's lithium plant should be up by then too.

None of this was expected when Tesla announced they were working on a 25K car.

What if it is priced at 20K? That's 12.5K after tax credit. How many could Tesla sell for 12.5K?

The answer is a lot more than they can produce for several years. So actual price will be higher with very good margins.

A $25k Tesla will sell like hotcakes in Europe and Asia and do very well in the U.S. It should easily be over 4 million units after ramping up globally.
Tesla’s brand is still very strong.
Margins are what we should be concerned about. The market will not reward mere volume. BYD shows that.
Regarding the last comment above for the market's reaction on volume: Yes and no. In a prior conference call for Tesla, Elon had mentioned that the profit per car would be dwarfed by the profit from FSD deployment and realization. To this point it was even mentioned that they don't even care about the profit per car. Now several years later the implementation of an AGI type solution to self driving becomes readily applicable to many regions and traffic situations. And the more input real time incar video data the better the training. And what happened to talks about FSD licensing with other auto OEMs? The market remains conveniently silent.

Remember when NFLX wanted to charge an extra fee for streaming and DVD by mail? Well the market screamed bloody murder but collected all the shares when retail investors fled. The same pattern is happening here, the noise is whatever the car's color is at the moment while every mile driven in a tesla is another set of video data to train and refine driving. Think it can't happen, look at SoraAI and tell me how many production studios are shifting their strategies-- this includes apple TV+ making original content. And tesla FSD is really just SoraAI in reverse.

Remember no one cared when gmail read our emails or meta read our posts but now with AI (AGI) the implications of data scraping have changed.

A couple of thousand pages back I discussed the profitability of FSD. Nothing has changed my opinion expressed then. Historically new safety devices like anti lock brakes or back up cameras start out costing a fortune on expensive, early adopter cars. As they are proven, their prices rapidly come down. Also, if they are truely valibule, they tend to be mandated by government. I recall BMWWanting over $800 for a back up camera. Now they are standard on the cheapest cars. Why would we think this pattern wouldn’t hold true for FSD? Has there ever been a more significant safety device? Personally, I think Tesla will be an extremely successful company in the future, but I don’t assign much emphasis on FSD contributing to that financial success beyond the first few years. The political optics compel governments to mandate such significant technology rapidly at a reasonable price.

Quite good numbers for Jan+Feb in EU.
View attachment 1025561
We already know Q124 will be lower than Q123, the question is "by how much".
Also, there is the matter of a idle Tesla Berlin.

And Giga Berlin was paused because of supply chain part problems.

"Tesla Giga Berlin’s Model Y production was paused. But it was not due to Tesla’s own strategies. Instead, the production pause was triggered by supply chain issues that arose due to tensions in the Red Sea. From January 29 to February 11, Giga Berlin stayed silent."

Reading on X that the German terrorism attack on the tesla factory is now expected to cost tesla in the 3 digit millions of dollars. And no expected restore date yet.

Possibly a dumb question: would a business have insurance to cover this sort of thing? I guess there's two sides to that -- is that sort of insurance offered, and if so, do most businesses pay for that coverage?

May be worthwhile to keep this in mind when Gary or Ross become a topic of this thread and consider how much weight their opinions may be worth.

Screenshot_20240307_111742_X.jpg

May be worthwhile to keep this in mind when Gary or Ross become a topic of this thread and consider how much weight their opinions may be worth.

View attachment 1025571
Topic as in two people who own less shares combined than many here, but are given weight to their knowledge of Tesla’s business and how far reaching their wand swinging appears to be?

Yeah, wrote these two off years ago.

As for ARK, opinions vary but like Andrea James they at least knew Tesla was special and destined for significant rise of valuation before anyone else in their industry. ARK currently thinks TSLA is undervalued. Well, duh. But they get credit for actually putting some money on the line far beyond the other two gentlemen ever have and they’ve never changed their tune like the wind. Even when selling TSLA they’ve never talked the company down nor said the kind of ridiculous nonsense the other two spout like clockwork.

R2 looks pretty sweet from a customer point of view, but as a company? It worries me that they haven't cut back enough, lot's of gimmicks that adds cost, two glove boxes, rearmost windows that open partially for airflow, flashlight, it's the small things that counts

R3 is similar to Cybertruck in my opinion, so weird that I like it

And also, unveiling three new products when neither is close to being available?

A couple of thousand pages back I discussed the profitability of FSD. Nothing has changed my opinion expressed then. Historically new safety devices like anti lock brakes or back up cameras start out costing a fortune on expensive, early adopter cars. As they are proven, their prices rapidly come down. Also, if they are truely valibule, they tend to be mandated by government. I recall BMWWanting over $800 for a back up camera. Now they are standard on the cheapest cars. Why would we think this pattern wouldn’t hold true for FSD? Has there ever been a more significant safety device? Personally, I think Tesla will be an extremely successful company in the future, but I don’t assign much emphasis on FSD contributing to that financial success beyond the first few years. The political optics compel governments to mandate such significant technology rapidly at a reasonable price.
To be fair, the FSD is much more than a 'safety device' which only shows that once released properly, its contribution to humanity will be next to infinite. Which, in fact, is still infinite. It will change everything.

So by the time M2 comes out, 4680 should be ramped considerably. Tesla gets huge IRA credits for that. Also, battery raw materials prices could keep falling. Tesla's lithium plant should be up by then too.

None of this was expected when Tesla announced they were working on a 25K car.

What if it is priced at 20K? That's 12.5K after tax credit. How many could Tesla sell for 12.5K?

The answer is a lot more than they can produce for several years. So actual price will be higher with very good margins.

I’m not American and haven’t lived there in awhile but curious. Can trump not just stop the 7500 dollar credit program thingy next January or is it somehow protected?

Just curious.