Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems there are conflicting reports about whether or not it would be possible to grant Elon 25% voting rights without granting common stock. I've seen some reports saying that it can be done. Others say it can't.
Yeah, have heard the same... but where there's a will there's a way!

Bear in mind that Elon said he wanted 25% voting control, not # of shares. He followed up on one suggestion to go with a Class B share, saying he was amenable to such an idea but it was illegal in Delaware past the IPO stage.

In other words, there may be other ways to get him what he wants without granting additional common stock. I expect we shall soon see what the board is planning...
I agree. There are other ways. What I am trying to point out is that, no matter how this turns out, a light may be shed on the current value of everything that is in the development "hopper" and could be good for the basis of the next mega-move.

Huh? You can perhaps only attribute 15 to 20% on his selling, but the rest was just the overall market tanking in 2022.
I seriously doubt Tsla would trade at a 140 PE today given the margin compression we have seen. So whatever tanking Musk have done due to his selling is no longer relevant. The voting machine/weighing machine came into play here.

So getting away from the latest Elon crisis, what do folks think about the upcoming Financials? They set new production and delivery records, but how much will it affect the margins? What about EPS?

Or will other things revealed in the call and/or financial documents drive an upward change in the SP?

We're getting close, so if you're working on a prediction, please share!

(Paging @The Accountant ... I know it's tax time, but your input is always valued)

Last edited:
The optimus video is very concerning. It can mimic / track movements and copy-- yay great, so can any robot. But then it can also review 1000s of videos of t shirt folding as well. And then use an AI engine to parse out variations and then do it on its own. In of itself not a problem, but lets say someone sees the optimus as a weapon, and trains it to shoot, and then besides the video training of above, merges current algo that select targets. How long before a government or group represented by a government buys enough shares to get a controlling interest, and then wa-la, optimus becomes the terminator.
How long? Might be a while. Probably cheaper and easier to build purpose built specialized robot and drone death machines that will end our species’ brief reign on this small, out-in-the-boondocks-of-the-galaxy planet (the only one habitable by us within reach).

That said, I’m willing to pay the one-eyed-man-in-the-land-of-the-blind to continue to be technoking of Tesla, et al (all? 😉) companies to help stave off extinction.

For those of you who have opined exhaustively, and I mean exhaustingly, please feel free to refrain from giving us more of the same. 🙏

To replace the X.ai organization that he has already created for that purpose?
Agreed, seems likely to be X.ai. Might be something like TSLA purchases rights and agrees to share development so that existing tech can be shared. Key staff etc move to X.ai where influence over development is stronger for him. Some open questions…. Probably more clarity coming soon or this thinking may be completely out of alignment. YMMV

So getting away from the latest Elon crisis, what do folks think about the upcoming Financials? They set new production and delivery records, but how much will it affect the margins? What about EPS?

Or will other things revealed in the call and/or financial documents drive an upward change in the SP?

Financials having no place on this thread about stock and valuation of TSLA. Anyone claiming there is a correlation is just pure coincidence and all such representation is purely by chance...

We are also expecting delivery guidance for the year. I think that will affect the stock price more than Q4 margins and EPS.

But we don't know what else might be revealed. The fun of owning TSLA is that every day is "Anything can happen day!".

bxbgdvivnwozju4krnor.jpg

And to be clear on the implications: If Elon leaves ... Dojo, AI, FSD, Robotaxi and Bot leave with him. None of those initiatives succeed without Elon leading the push. All of the talent who've made millions working for Tesla leave too. The stock crashes 80%. Tesla is not like a Walmart, Apple or even Microsoft where their founders left a mature company that any fool could run. Pay the man whatever he wants ... he's worth even more.
Speculation: Elon may be making a decision on increasing Tesla's compute in the near term. (He's recently commented on how fast the competition is ramping.) He needs to decide if Tesla, AI.com, X or some other new entity is going to own it. I was overjoyed when Elon decided to put Bot under the Tesla umbrella ... he didn't have to do that. Elon's not the type to make idle threats ... no time to FAFO.

Having sadly read a bunch of random comments on reddit today about Tesla, I have to vent a bit:

I am so sick of the negativity, cynicism, and outright lies and FUD that is out there. As a long term shareholder, I am actually coming around to the view that Tesla should be a bit more like apple, and just not announce anything. I love seeing updates about FSD and optimus, and the potential model 2, but thats we wanting a short-term sugar rush of a slightly higher stock price today or this month or year.

If I was Elon, I would be tempted to keep whatever is next from Tesla massively under wraps. Why play nice with wall st? Why give the media what they want? As long as Tesla can get the personnel they want to work on FSD and Optimus, I think they should just work away under wraps. We know they CAN keep things secret (the roadster was a total shock), so why not double-down on that.

In my dreams, Tesla already has a design of a Tesla Van, a Tesla Bus and a Model 2, and are working round-the-clock on making them super cheap to build, and super awesome products. I am very happy for them to just deny everything until the day they suddenly start taking orders for them. Why give the rest of the world any warning or heads-up on whats under development?

I'm looking forward to Q4 earnings call, and will hang on every word. But if Elon's answer to everything is 'this is not the time for new product announcements' I'll be fine with that. Cybertruck announcement to release was way too long. Happy for it to be 95% shorter. I trust Tesla to design a great product. Hopefully earnings call is just great updates on ramping of megapack, cybertruck and maybe the semi. That will be more than enough to keep long term investors content.

Having sadly read a bunch of random comments on reddit today about Tesla, I have to vent a bit:

I am so sick of the negativity, cynicism, and outright lies and FUD that is out there. As a long term shareholder, I am actually coming around to the view that Tesla should be a bit more like apple, and just not announce anything. I love seeing updates about FSD and optimus, and the potential model 2, but thats we wanting a short-term sugar rush of a slightly higher stock price today or this month or year.

If I was Elon, I would be tempted to keep whatever is next from Tesla massively under wraps. Why play nice with wall st? Why give the media what they want? As long as Tesla can get the personnel they want to work on FSD and Optimus, I think they should just work away under wraps. We know they CAN keep things secret (the roadster was a total shock), so why not double-down on that.

In my dreams, Tesla already has a design of a Tesla Van, a Tesla Bus and a Model 2, and are working round-the-clock on making them super cheap to build, and super awesome products. I am very happy for them to just deny everything until the day they suddenly start taking orders for them. Why give the rest of the world any warning or heads-up on whats under development?

I'm looking forward to Q4 earnings call, and will hang on every word. But if Elon's answer to everything is 'this is not the time for new product announcements' I'll be fine with that. Cybertruck announcement to release was way too long. Happy for it to be 95% shorter. I trust Tesla to design a great product. Hopefully earnings call is just great updates on ramping of megapack, cybertruck and maybe the semi. That will be more than enough to keep long term investors content.

It's crazy

After a two week detox from social media during the holidays, I came back but still keeping some stuff out, Reddit is out, only if I need something and finding it through Google, else it's EVs cesspool

Instagram is another, some pretty small Brazilian EV accounts (less than 500 followers) I follow, and when the Hertz selling Teslas new hit, every single comment there was saying they are bad because of that, people that never even talked about EVs before going out of their way to comment that, or bots idk

Last edited:
Has there been any discussion somewhere about the biggest flaw in this whole debacle?

If Elon owned 100% of Tesla and fully controlled whatever AI and robots Tesla built, exactly how would that save the world from whatever bad would happen if he didn't?

How would that protect us from the Chinese, North Koreans or for that matter any owners of companies that are in this sector?

Even assuming that Tesla gets there first. Is Elon, and so many others it seems, really thinking that no one else will ever solve this? Be it one year, three years or a decade later.

How would Elon controlling Teslas AI save the world from whatever bad Elon thinks others will do with AI?