Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no doubt there are many people towing, in nominal term. What does that look like in % term?
11.2 million RVs in the USA and most are trailers. So lets be conservative and say 6 million. That is a lot of trucks. I have been towing and doing extensive camping now that I am retired for 6+ weeks a year. And there are MILLIONS of us. Don't believe me just try and make a camping reservation at a National Park.

BTW, steering by wire is here to stay. It will end up in all future tesla products. The stuff that can be done with it via a program is too big to ignore.

Can't wait for the next round of TSLAQ FUD moving from Sudden Unintended Acceleration to Sudden Unintended Swerving.

You know these articles are coming everytime a Cybertruck crashes.

I wont bother watching anything he does again, I thought his whole video was poor..
I watch him because he gives a different perspective of a market segment that is meaningful. But the best was the 1hr 20 minute across the table talk done by the Haggerty YouTube host. Not the Haggerty video. that was weak, but the host did a "across the table" talk with his co host(?). He spoke intelligently about the entire vehicle industry, and he was blown away.

View attachment 995590
Mr. Market reacted like the Cybertruck First Deliveries Event didn't even happen. Mr. Market didn't get it at the Reveal four years ago (neither did I), and Mr. Market certainly is still not getting it. The difference is that thanks to TMC, I get it now. Mr. Market will eventually catch up with us, and when it does, we will be rewarded handsomely. Colour me very impressed with the Cybertruck, far above my expectations.
Mr. Market has a last name. It is Maker. Having the event on Thursday did not give the market makers much of a field to play on... whether up or down, the Market Makers didn't have much time on the clock to play their game. I expect to watch them do their thing over the coming months. They are pros/shepherds, we are their sheep. They can't make grass grow but they can sheer the flock. and eat the weak ones.

• Disagree
Reactions: ifish
Your lips to Elon’s ears!
Remember I am the dickhead to the fanbois on here. When I say anything, I am being truthful...Fanbois just can't stand the truth. So when I posted the direction that SuperCharger placement is taking, and it is positive, you can believe it.
Tesla has to build ALL(of the good ones) of the gas stations for EV's right now. Ever time another Major automaker swaps over to Tesla I can only imagine the agreement. And how much that move gives Tesla's charging network Team additional reasons and the resources it needs to put up even more chargers.

There is no magic rule that tesla have to stick with just the 3 options currently on the website. If there is enough REAL demand for a cybertruck that is *all about towing* at the cost of sacrificing performance or charge speed or whatever, then I'm sure we will have the CyberTowTruck variant at some future stage.
I think Tesla know their market. They are initially making the truck for the largest chunk of the truck market, and I am not at all surprised that they conclude that braggable performance stats, charge speed and toughness or valued by that chunk more than towing range.

11.2 million RVs in the USA and most are trailers. So lets be conservative and say 6 million. That is a lot of trucks. I have been towing and doing extensive camping now that I am retired for 6+ weeks a year. And there are MILLIONS of us. Don't believe me just try and make a camping reservation at a National Park.
1701472143331.png

1701472183824.png

This sounds to me like about 80% of people don't really tow. The 80/20 rule is apt here. 20% of customers account for 80% of your problems and vice versa. Tesla is smart to get the truck out to the 80% who will find it fully capable of addressing all of their needs. The other 20% just need to wait.

View attachment 995590
Mr. Market reacted like the Cybertruck First Deliveries Event didn't even happen. Mr. Market didn't get it at the Reveal four years ago (neither did I), and Mr. Market certainly is still not getting it. The difference is that thanks to TMC, I get it now. Mr. Market will eventually catch up with us, and when it does, we will be rewarded handsomely. Colour me very impressed with the Cybertruck, far above my expectations.
Mr Market will react when an actual average person not under NDA or similar can make an order and take delivery of the truck.

View attachment 995595
View attachment 995596
This sounds to me like about 80% of people don't really tow. The 80/20 rule is apt here. 20% of customers account for 80% of your problems and vice versa. Tesla is smart to get the truck out to the 80% who will find it fully capable of addressing all of their needs. The other 20% just need to wait.
Occasionally is at least once a year, and that pairs with the many once a year trips we and many others take. We take those trips seriously and we will cover between 7,000 and 11,000 miles on a trip so they are not short trips. That is 36% of truck owners. The bureau of transportation says we have 48 million pickups on the roads so that is 17 million who tow at least annually. People that have horses and go to horse shows may only do it once or twice a year. But when they go they typically go long distances. While I hate having a gasser, we do have a plug-in hybrid for our towing as that is not yet reasonable for EVs. Assuming you like to camp in National Parks and National Forest as we do.

The tent is securely mounted to the bed rails and suspended over the cargo area (and past it, unless I'm seeing wrong). Cybertruck also has a tent mode (whatever that does).
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-basecamp
I think the "tent mode" keeps pressure in the air tubes (Nope, I read it again. the tubes are manually inflated, so I have no real hope that "tent mode" does anything) because the page explains that the mesh windows will keep you comfortable... They must be some new technology. I've been in tents for a couple of years of my life total. and mesh windows don't do crap when it is hot outside and the wind isn't blowing, and I mean really blowing. And I've never once had a mesh window warm me up in the winter no matter how hard the wind blew. A total lack of engineering, and just a real capitalistic advertising BS concept and "press release."
Still further proof that Elon is stretched too thin. And I am being very positive when I say that instead of other things.

Last edited:
Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.
I'm not quite so negative about it, but do agree that they screwed up with the narrow (and short) bed. In a conventional pickup it is a common practice to build a simple platform to utilize the full width of the truck bed above the wheelwells, giving you a usable width of nearly 6'. The original specs for the CT were touting a 6.5' (or 6'-5"-I forget which) bed length. All would have been great for camping in it. Granted many new trucks have tiny, 5-5.5' beds that are useless for anything beyond groceries, but not so in the past. I also expected at least some sort of pass-through or mid-gate, allowing AC for camping. And especially for dogs-being able to put them in the bed while traveling and keep them out of the passenger area, while still providing AC would have been great. I've said it before-IMO shortening the truck to make it fit a small suburban garage is a mistake. With all the other cool tech it also would have been nice to have AC vents in the bed area as well. Like you said, I can't imagine anyone paying over $3000 for the flippin tent!.

Another limitation with the unibody/integrated bed design is of course that the bed can never be removed, meaning no way to ever make a flat-bed out of it. Though not a terrible limitation. The sloped sides of the bed also make it a lot harder to design/mount a canopy/topper, let alone secure it. Though I do love the powered tonneu cover, that alone is a big selling point to me to have all that lockable storage without some poorly done aftermarket design. There are also no stake pockets in the bed, so forget about putting side-boards on it for extra hauling capacity-this (and the narrow bed) make it useless for carrying a big load of firewood or hay bales. A standard, flat-topped bed, at a standard width, would have been much more practical for a lot of existing accessories, could still have kept the tonneu cover and a usable rear window/rearview mirror. Not sure just how much this would have compromised the structure by not having the "wings" integral from the back of the "cab".

I still want one and think it's cool AF. But their focus on style over function in the bed does limit it's usefulness a bit.

Last edited:
Here is what the Cybertruck 2023 is in ICE form (just replace the hinged trunk lid with a very expensive, limiting, accordion door).
A worthless BIG damn trunk. Not even designed with hauling in mind. I know trucks. hauling most things in that would require some real imagination.

Last edited:
I'm not quite so negative about it, but do agree that they screwed up with the narrow (and short) bed. In a conventional pickup it is a common practice to build a simple platform to utilize the full width of the truck bed above the wheelwells, giving you a usable width of nearly 6'. The original specs for the CT were touting a 6.5' (or 6'-5"-I forget which) bed length. All would have been great for camping in it. At least on trucks with a decent sized bed-so many new ones have a 5.5' bed that is useless for much beyond groceries). I also expected at least some sort of pass-through or mid-gate, allowing AC for camping. And especially for dogs-being able to put them in the bed while traveling and keep them out of the passenger area, while still providing AC would have been great. I've said it before-IMO shortening the truck to make it fit a small suburban garage is a mistake. With all the other cool tech it also would have been nice to have AC vents in the bed area as well

Another limitation with the unibody/integrated bed design is of course that the bed can never be removed, meaning no way to ever make a flat-bed out of it. Though not a terrible limitation. The sloped sides of the bed also make it a lot harder to design/mount a canopy. Though I do love the powered tonneu cover, that alone is a big selling point to me to have all that lockable storage without some poorly done aftermarket design. There are also no stake pockets in the bed, so forget about putting side-boards on it for extra hauling capacity-this (and the narrow bed) make it useless for carrying a big load of firewood or hay bales. A standard, flat-topped bed, at a standard width, would have been much more practical for a lot of existing accessories, could still have kept the tonneu cover and a usable rear window/rearview mirror. Not sure just how much this would have compromised the structure by not having the "wings" integral from the back of the "cab".
I envisioned the camper top to be a wedge instead of a box. Which would make the thousands spent for the tonneau cover a complete waste. (Dreaming, I hoped Elon would offer $X000 off and allow people to order the cyberNOTAtruck without the expensive heavy POS)