Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So wait, you’re buying those shares from the company with the money they just paid you? And it’s diluting (marginally of course) the stock?

Tesla is effectively getting your salary back in their coffers, and without a share buyback you’re being compensated on the open market by other people who would be buying your shares?

This setup is blowing my mind right now, this is effectively taking their labour cost burden and shoving it onto the stock market.

Yes, so much so that the GAAP accounting standards were pressured, successfully, to make it such that stock based compensation (something that used to only be reported on the balance sheet), got charged as a non cash expense on the P/L statement. This was done since the non tech companies got tired of seeing the tech companies get “free” employee compensation without having it reduce their EPS. So starting in the early 2000s IIRC, companies had to report this phantom non cash expense, thus reducing their EPS.

Of course, it made no real difference since analysts just backed out the stock based compensation from the EPS calculations to report non GAAP earnings since they were and are a better measure of a company’s operating results.

So wait, you’re buying those shares from the company with the money they just paid you? And it’s diluting (marginally of course) the stock?

Tesla is effectively getting your salary back in their coffers, and without a share buyback you’re being compensated on the open market by other people who would be buying your shares?

This setup is blowing my mind right now, this is effectively taking their labour cost burden and shoving it onto the stock market.
ummm, yep.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Does anyone know what these trolleys are for at GigaTexas? Judging by the size and quantity I wonder if they could be for the front and rear ends of unboxed production? They look a little too small for a full vehicle.

That said, there could be a number of reasons for them (e.g. just carting battery packs around now that volume is increasing substantially)

1694854639747.png

Timestamp

Anyone else get an email from National Financial Services LLC regarding a class action lawsuit with Tesla for shareholders who held the security on 2023-07-14? Sender address was [email protected].

Not one to click on things until I know they are legit.

Edit: Maybe this is it.
Reuters Article
CNN Article

Last edited:
Anyone else get an email from National Financial Services LLC regarding a class action lawsuit with Tesla for shareholders who held the security on 2023-07-14? Sender address was [email protected].

Yes, received a few emails for shares I hold in different accounts. Not sure what the class action is all about though (the link didn’t give much info).

I received a notice from TDA. Didn't click on the link though.
Headers show: Received: from JSQMailer2.broadridge.com (jsqmailer2.broadridge.com [167.212.2.100]) by mail at j3iss dot com
IP-lookup shows: So I imagine it's legit. (Being lazy I was waiting to hear what those who went through the legalize thought--other than it's just another frivolous lawsuit)

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 06.39.23.png

Tesla directors agreed to return a bunch of stock options. Issue is settled, the letter alerts shareholdes they have the ability to appear before the judge on Oct 13th and speak against adopting the settlement.

They seem to be using the shareholders list off proxyvote.com (I think we vote on shareholder proposals via this site) and sending it as a mail from the brokerage. How is this even legal?
It's offical docs sent to offical shareholders by their brokerages, same as annual proxy voting materials. What's the problem?

They seem to be using the shareholders list off proxyvote.com (I think we vote on shareholder proposals via this site) and sending it as a mail from the brokerage. How is this even legal?

If it is a legitimate court action Tesla is likely required by law to provide a way to inform the shareholders that are eligible to participate.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what these trolleys are for at GigaTexas? Judging by the size and quantity I wonder if they could be for the front and rear ends of unboxed production? They look a little too small for a full vehicle.

That said, there could be a number of reasons for them (e.g. just carting battery packs around now that volume is increasing substantially)

View attachment 974272

Timestamp

I cannot say with any certainty what they might be for, but, I'd agree that it does look as though they have been unboxed. 😉

View attachment 974272

Timestamp
They look like typical material handling carts used in many factories. Although white and red which I believe is Tesla's factory color scheme. You can see a few linked together to be pulled like a train through the factory.

Typically when parts arrive on trucks they would be transferred to something like this to move the work location in the factory. They allow even line worker to move them in to position as parts are depleted on the line.

I would expect the unbox process to use something more sophisticated with locators and possibly some actuators to assist with the assembly process.

You have to like the headline. Basically going through what we all know about Tesla's labor cost structure compared to the big 3. Even explaining that Tesla line workers get stock options as an incentive for the company to do well. Paywalled.

Here is a excerpt.

The Detroit companies’ labor costs, including wages and benefits, are estimated at an average of $66 an hour, according to industry data. That compares with $45 at Tesla, which isn’t unionized and was founded 20 years ago. Meeting all of Fain’s initial demands would boost average hourly labor costs to $136 for the Detroit companies, Wells Fargo estimated.