Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's likely know, but really depends by Germany-France-UK sales.

They won't, at least according to the Minister of Culture spokeperson.
It was all over the news today
(allegedly, Musk tweeted after someone in the Ministry contacted him to propose the Colosseum, but nobody knows what's real at this point).
This is a superb beginning for a Hilda’s weekend!
May irrelevancy reign!

• Funny
Reactions: capster
Reactions: petit_bateau
Yeah, he was pushing Ford hard a year and a half ago when it was ~$20 a share.

Yeah, he was pushing Ford hard a year and a half ago when it was ~$20 a share.
How it started:
1688161151066.png

How its going:
1688161184912.png

I like our chances :)

Giga berlin worker who just left for private reasons after 2 years + did an AMA on reddit, quite positive (no real insider news, just general stuff that makes it sound like a good place to work):
Sorry German, google translate didn´t work on the whole page, I guess you can copy/paste the text though.

Giga berlin worker who just left for private reasons after 2 years + did an AMA on reddit, quite positive (no real insider news, just general stuff that makes it sound like a good place to work):
Sorry German, google translate didn´t work on the whole page, I guess you can copy/paste the text though.

I saw this exchange in that thread and thought I'd share (along with my Reddit voting "cheatsheet").. maybe I see too much negativity on Reddit, but this was definitely refreshing..

1688163284033.png

@Troy just updated his estimate, is now expecting a beat of analyst numbers. Let´s not restart the discussion about whether it makes sense to continuously update estimates. You can give this post a funny rating instead, ok ;)?!

I have the feeling it could in fact be a beat, some good news lately: record number of ships to Australia, Turkey booked out until end of year, UK just got a ship with 4000 cars less than a week ago, US inventory dropped. Good China numbers, too.

Is +1200 cars enough to move the stock after the huge run we had?

Texas getting megapacks is nice and all but it isn’t bullish. Those megapacks would have been shipped to customers had any been ready to receive them. I don’t think this is big deal since megapack project installation is going to very lumpy, and it is entirely possible that no customers were ready to receive megapacks right now, even if Tesla has a backlog of orders.

New lines going in. Major electrical work being done, for many months now.
Logic says they need that extra energy to run those extra lines.
Maybe it would have been possible to have an interim config that allowed the new lines to run without the megapacks, but that just adds steps. Tesla getting it done. Bullish.

Something interesting just happened. My 2016 AP1 S 90D is now updating to 2023.20.7 normally not a big deal but this is the same build number that FSD beta 11.3.6 is built on. This is the first time that I know of that a non-FSD capable car has received the same build as a FSD beta car.

My thoughts: single software stacks to all cars = super bullish on FSD. Also, end quarter coincidence? 🤔
Are you sure FSD isn't built on 2023.7.20, not 2023.20.7 ???

Are you sure FSD isn't built on 2023.7.20, not 2023.20.7 ???
Both builds have it. Check out TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker
  • 2023.7.20 is FSD 11.4.4
  • 2023.20.7 is an older FSD 11.3.6 (even though the build number is newer, it has an older build of FSD)
I'm not trying say that my AP1 has the FSB beta (it wont ever get it, I know this), I am just saying that the build versions have unified and there aren't seperate versions now. It should give everyone easier access to FSD beta and make it so people can click a button and pay $199/mo and then be able to use it.

Texas getting megapacks is nice and all but it isn’t bullish. Those megapacks would have been shipped to customers had any been ready to receive them. I don’t think this is big deal since megapack project installation is going to very lumpy, and it is entirely possible that no customers were ready to receive megapacks right now, even if Tesla has a backlog of orders.

Factory sized uninterruptable power: bullish
Tesla as its own power company: bullish
Time shifting solar generation: bullish
In house real world test bed: bullish

Alluding to Tesla not having a material backlog: bull💩
SmartSelect_20230630_190751_Firefox.jpg

Factory sized uninterruptable power: bullish

That's the big one for me right there.

I don't know if Texas's grid has been fixed (?) in the last few years...but a good part of the state went down when it was too cold, and then months later went down again because it was too hot. If Tesla can buffer themselves for some protection from that sort of event, that would be great.

Whether or not Tesla has immediate customers for those megapacks, I'd say it's better planning for the factory as a whole, and therefore Tesla as a company/stock, to install as much solar and battery back-up as they need, as soon as they can. As Tesla fans and TSLA hodlers, thinking on it a bit, I think most of us would prefer Tesla forego $$$ in revenue now, in exchange for protecting a gigafactory from unpredictable (well, sortof predictable, if Texas hasn't fixed their grid), unplanned shutdowns.

I'm not hoping for another catastrophe for Texas...but imagine the positives if nationwide news is: "Texas without power...but Tesla factory still running, and workers PREFER to be there since they can't run their AC at home."

New lines going in. Major electrical work being done, for many months now.
Logic says they need that extra energy to run those extra lines.
Maybe it would have been possible to have an interim config that allowed the new lines to run without the megapacks, but that just adds steps. Tesla getting it done. Bullish.

Remember the Austin, TX ice storm of Feb 2022? The factory was shutdown w/o power for 5 days during that event. Let's estimate what 5 days of unplanned downtime would cost at present productions levels:
  1. 5K/week Models Y = 3.57K cars
  2. Selling price per car = $47,740 (assuming no options)
  3. Gross Margin auto ~20% (WAG; YMMV)
  4. Doing the math, that's $34M lost profit
Of course there's other losses too, but that's makes a bty farm w. 64 megapacks pay for itself in about 2 ice storms...

Cheers!

Remember the Austin, TX ice storm of Feb 2022? The factory was shutdown w/o power for 5 days during that event. Let's estimate what 5 days of unplanned downtime would cost at present productions levels:
  1. 5K/week Models Y = 3.57K cars
  2. Selling price per car = $47,740 (assuming no options)
  3. Gross Margin auto ~20% (WAG; YMMV)
  4. Doing the math, that's $34M lost profit
Of course there's other losses too, but that's makes a bty farm w. 64 megapacks pay for itself in about 2 ice storms...

Cheers!
With the craptastic Texas ERCOT "regulated" grid I think it is money well spent. But it is, as you suggest, de-risking in nature. The more megapacks the better.