Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic subforum? Really?

This with TSLA down ~75% a few months ago, AND after quoting a massively important, hour-long interview with CNBC's David Faber on the occasion of Tesla's Annual Shareholder meeting . . . .

Some of us here lost seven- and eight-figures in TSLA over the past year, and this IS the investor's forum, right?

Please take a moment to review another's post early this morning:

It’s noticeable the difference in how many quality TMC posters that were here for last years annual meeting who are no longer here for this years meeting. The exodus was gradual, but now striking.

Thank you.
So you have lost seven or eight figures (on paper), which I don't believe, and now everyone needs to read your whining? Sub-forum or other site completely should do. Again, membership here is not mandatory.

He is supposed to be maximizing the shareholder value. That's what he is supposed to be maximizing.
What a world we live in when you think money in your portfolio is more important than the continued existence of mankind via a healthy planet.

Maximizing shareholder value is exactly why we’re screwed as a species and are having to deal with all the difficulties of this world.

I am definitely grateful for all the work Elon and Tesla team has done. But it’s also “easy” for me as an investor because I got into TSLA in 2016. For people that first bought in these last couple years with a significant amount of money, it would be tough to hear that the CEO doesn’t care about losing money due to his tweeting. It’s one thing to say he doesn’t care about losing money short term in regards to the mission of putting more cars on the road. It’s another to have it due to just tweeting random things.
Too bad, so sad. That’s the breaks like for everyone who invested in anything at the peak of the market or invested right before one of the infamous crashes. That’s the risk you take.

Additionally, anyone who invested in TSLA without first knowing exactly who the CEO is - tough bananas.

Those of us who invested before Tesla was a sure thing, knew exactly what we were getting into and how risky it was. Nobody would have been sympathetic to us had Tesla ended up as vaporware.
Elon definitely has freedom of speech, as he should… like anyone else. But he doesn’t have freedom from consequences. We certainly don’t.
He never said he wasn’t free from consequences. He’s quite aware of all the consequences as he lives them daily, including the consequence of Tesla failing at the mission.
I also find that his tweets do not always explain his viewpoint very well. It’s during these longer form interviews where he explains himself and makes a bit more sense on what he’s trying to say. He just should be a bit more thoughtful of explaining himself better in tweets. Make use of the long tweet option if he’s going to say something that could easily be misconstrued. I’m not a fan of easily avoidable unforced errors.
There you go trying to change him to suit your perspective and needs. I understand his short tweets perfectly. Maybe it’s you and others who should change and improve your abilities to comprehend him.

I don't know anyone that was forced and is now forced by force or a weapon to buy/hold the shares. The markets are open most of the year. Not happy - sell the shares and don't support the company. Not everyone gets it apparently.

Elon is not going to kiss any behinds and make everyone happy.
Wow, missing the point entirely.

Public company C-suite executives have a fiduciary responsibility.

Many, like us, make MAJOR investments based on expectations of proper behavior . . . and when unhinged commentary damages our investment, AND THE MISSION, it's grounds for discussion here, and action by the BoD.

This is what can happen when CEO's behave irresponsibly:

What a world we live in when you think money in your portfolio is more important than the continued existence of mankind via a healthy planet.

Maximizing shareholder value is exactly why we’re screwed as a species and are having to deal with all the difficulties of this world.

Still, I'm perfectly fine embracing the concept of having both mankind's existence secured AND a rocketing SP. :cool:

Does that make me a bad person?

P.S. I wouldn't want Elon to change in any way. His track record speaks for itself regarding how well he has taken care of the people who have invested in him FOR THE LONG RUN.

Last edited:
I think we were shown a pic

tesla-next-model-teaser.jpg

Sure, but that's just a dark murky silhouette of the Highland Model 3. Like, I wanted to actually SEE the car. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'd heard Tesla Execs were visiting India again but now CNBC is suggesing they are considering setting up a manufacturing plant in India. I'm personally still sceptical as the tarif siutation hasn't been resolved, but we'll see if it has any legs this time.

TESLA IS CONSIDERING SETTING UP AN ADDITIONAL MANUFACTURING PLANT IN INDIA - CNBC-TV18, CITING SOURCES
How do you know the tariff situation hasn’t been resolved for Tesla or isn’t in the process of being resolved? I don’t think you know that anymore than you know if the above is happening.

• Disagree
Reactions: bigsmooth125
"Elon needs to stop with the stupid public commentary on whatever strikes his fancy at all hours of the day and night. Now."
"Until then, someone on the Board of Directors needs to tell Elon to control his Twitter fingers and his mouth. Period."

Bad Boy! Bad Boy! What ya' gonna do?

Don't hold your breath or expect that (the free-floating consciousness) to cease. In fact, as Musk continues to experience increasing success, you will hear a lot more of it.

As a self-identified bipolar savant with Asperger's, Musk's default mode is to question others' reality and be oppositional while purporting his own ideas. A double-edged sword of sorts, inherent with extremely bright people, who shine and succeed most of the time, but have trouble relating to others and the general populous. They don't fit in and social norms are foreign to them.

Why do you think Musk works the voluminous hours he does? It's the only place he can derive pure pleasure. Houses, wealth and, believe it or not, "your stock portfolio", don't mean much of anything to him. His self-worth comes from accomplishment, uniqueness, pushing himself and those around him harder, and from winning battles, not dissimilar to "I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and....". At times he enjoys being a bully, and at other times, he withdraws and is profoundly sad in his aloneness and uniqueness. Stirring up the public sentiment with bizarre thinking and comments is stimulating for him. And, as you know, even the SEC can't harness him.

The more power he accumulates, the more controversial and intrusive he will become and the more fights he will pick, ie Pedo comments, etc, etc. "Someone needs to tell him" Oh NO! Anyone attempting to put a bridle on Elon's elite consciousness will soon find themselves working elsewhere, having missed or not learned the lesson on the Care and Feeding of Narcissists.

Sorry. With Musk, you get the whine, with the shine!
It's an investment strategy and the reason I currently am down to one share of TSLA stock (for the moment).
Ah, I see, " . . . am down to one share of TSLA stock . . ." explains much.

Wish I could have predicted the irresponsible, unhinged, and factually incorrect, commentary from our brilliant, yet often damaged, CEO like you were able to. It would have saved me soooo much stress, time, and money.

What's your secret?

Still, I'm perfectly fine embracing the concept of having both mankind's existence secured AND a rocketing SP. :cool:

Does that make me a bad person?
No, that doesn’t make you a bad person.

As long as you realize we don’t always get to have our cake and eat it too. And should the cake sit there beyond the reach of your fork, don’t act like a spoiled child. 😉

This with TSLA down ~75% a few months ago, AND after quoting a massively important, hour-long interview with CNBC's David Faber on the occasion of Tesla's Annual Shareholder meeting . . . .

Some of us here lost seven- and eight-figures in TSLA over the past year, and this IS the investor's forum, right? For some of us, that's real money. It was an avoidable loss, mostly due to self-induced errors by our CEO . . . ..
You have no evidence to show that TSLA down ~75% is caused by Elon Musk's comments (BTW last time I checked 52 weeks high is $314, so it's only down ~45% comparing to that), it could be caused by a lot of factors, macros for example. TSLA was held down for a long time before 2020, was that caused by his comments too? He tweets a lot less back then.

No, that doesn’t make you a bad person.

As long as you realize we don’t always get to have our cake and eat it too. And should the cake sit there beyond the reach of your fork, don’t act like a spoiled child. 😉

I never ACT like a spoiled child.
It is one of my life's ambitions to become one. ;)

Too bad, so sad. That’s the breaks like for everyone who invested in anything at the peak of the market or invested right before one of the infamous crashes. That’s the risk you take.

Additionally, anyone who invested in TSLA without first knowing exactly who the CEO is - tough bananas.

Those of us who invested before Tesla was a sure thing, knew exactly what we were getting into and how risky it was. Nobody would have been sympathetic to us had Tesla ended up as vaporware.

He never said he wasn’t free from consequences. He’s quite aware of all the consequences as he lives them daily, including the consequence of Tesla failing at the mission.

There you go trying to change him to suit your perspective and needs. I understand his short tweets perfectly. Maybe it’s you and others who should change and improve your abilities to comprehend him.
Out of curiosity, what is the highest price you paid for a share of TSLA? Mine is 333. (Based on current stock split.)

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan
If you ignore the historical context of Elon's rather consistent stance with regard investors, and take that quote in isolation, you might draw that conclusion.

However, when you have watched and listened to him over the years, it's clear he values truth and honesty, and believes that "telling it like it is" is better for the company (and hence investors) long term, even if it causes perturbations in the short term. And given the company's performance, value, and outlook, it appears he's largely been right.
Additionally, while being questioned repeatedly on that topic, Elon was very close to tears. It’s hurtful to him that people think he doesn’t care about them. He’s the most ‘for people’ person on the planet.

So believing he doesn’t care about shareholders in demonstrably false. He has proven through actions many times that he cares about shareholders.

Out of curiosity, what is the highest price you paid for a share of TSLA? Mine was 333.
I bought some demand shares at $165ish this year - calculating in all the splits, I believe the price would have been $2,475. But it’s no secret the majority of my shares were bought at an original cost of around $30 before any splits.