Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After hours stock movement (during the shareholders meeting) wasn't a downward dive like some were fearful of.
On the contrary, it reflects the positive mood at the shareholders meeting.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 05.44.31.png

So much Q... where to start... no, let me sum up.

You think Elon speaks randomly, without purpose? Everything is planned, Nothing is reckless. Do not mistake Passion for Recklessness. And the SEC and the Government have NO PLACE trying to preempt or abridge Elon's right to speak when, where, and how he sees fit. He NEEDS to be able to do that BECAUSE he has fiduciary duties.

Maybe try to sip less of the Q-laid?

His quote has nothing to do with the SEC and government. It's all about the things he chooses to say about his personal beliefs.

Personally, I don't think a CEO should say "I don't care about our shareholders". Not saying he shouldn't be CEO, I'm saying he shouldn't be giving the finger to his shareholders.

Last edited:
Yes, he does. He just don't give a F. He just cares about his mission and being to express his own views and emotions. Years ago he said he wouldn't forget the early buyers who helped the company survive the early years. He never did anything to show that appreciation. To the contrary, Tesla nerfed the batteries of early Model S's specifically and had to settle a lawsuit over it. He could have given us new batteries or some type of monetary credit but nope.
Right because Elon is such an emotional incompetent crazy CEO as evidenced by being the richest self made man on earth and founding/running the most valuable space and auto companies. Er …

Also, Tesla did indeed take care of the true early customers by creating a replacement battery for the Roadster. Elon never promised anything for Model S owners other than an 8 year battery warranty.

Why are you even here? Go have fun at /r/realtesla or on the TMC Elon forum.

His quote has nothing to do with the SEC and government. It's all about the things he chooses to say about his personal beliefs.

Personally, I don't think a CEO should say "I don't care about our shareholders". Not saying he shouldn't be CEO, I'm saying he shouldn't be giving the finger to his shareholders.
Elon neither said that or gave the finger to shareholders. This is you putting words in his mouth because you didn't like how he answered a question in an interview.

How is increasing operating expenses worth $50 in share price? There are still studies trying to figure out if advertising actually work or not.

Oh because there is such a thing as positive ROAS. I did work in one of those companies that tried to figure out if advertising actually works.

I won't go over my arguments again - I posted them when advertising was an R-rated topic in this thread not so long ago. You can read them in my older posts if you'd like.

Reactions: nativewolf
I'm not sure he fully appreciates that "we" includes retail shareholders like us. That seems pretty reckless for a CEO to be so cavalier about something he is supposed to have a fiduciary duty.
Even if what you believe is true, he’s been clear about where he stands. You should therefore invest accordingly and have now lost your right to be shocked, indignant, angry etc… if he says something that you think hurt your investment portfolio. Don’t hold TSLA, don’t buy TSLA if you think his position on his freedom to speak his mind on any topic, consequences be damned, doesn’t suit your beliefs, ideals or investment risk level.

It’s pretty simple.

Elon neither said that or gave the finger to shareholders. This is you putting words in his mouth because you didn't like how he answered a question in an interview.

he said (from memory).. I'll say what I want and if we lose money, I don't care. I'm not sure how else to interpret that other than him saying he doesn't care about the shareholders.

Last edited:
Even if what you believe is true, he’s been clear about where he stands. You should therefore invest accordingly and have now lost your right to be shocked, indignant, angry etc… if he says something that you think hurt your investment portfolio. Don’t hold TSLA, don’t buy TSLA if you think his position on his freedom to speak his mind on any topic, consequences be damned, doesn’t suit your beliefs, ideals or investment risk level.

It’s pretty simple.

It's possible to be a fan of the company and their products while simultaneously not approving of every single thing the CEO does. The former outweighs the latter.

Even if hypothetically we all agree that Elon shouldn't be saying these things....

1) Who is going to tell Elon?

2) And will he take any notice?

We don't need the answer to 1), because I'm sure I know the answer to 2)

I don't agree with everything Elon says, but I know he is going to say it anyway.

But - "actions speak louder than words" and "results matter".

Regardless of what he says, Eon is doing a good job at CEO, Tesla products and financial results are the evidence of the effectiveness of his actions.
And he is able to get those results even while saying some dumb stuff occasionally. call it "multitasking"..

he said (from memory).. I'll say what I want and if we lose money, I don't care. I'm not sure how else to interpret that other than him saying he doesn't care about the shareholders.
Sigh. Elon‘s role in the company does more for the shareholders than anyone else alive could, probably. His comments might dip the stock price temporarily but in the medium term, it’s all about company execution which isn’t affected by his tweets. So spare me your simplistic understanding of how the world works.

Yeah, Elon cared so little about the shareholder that he only dedicates 363 days out of the year vs 365 days trying to maximize cash flow for Tesla.

What Elon said is that no amount of money, power, crying shareholders, critics, God, his mom, or whoever can silence him. He will say whatever he feels is right. Good principle to live by because I know most people will shrivel up under pressure, or worst throws people under the bus/go against own morals and principles for money and power.

Last edited:
Right because Elon is such an emotional incompetent crazy CEO as evidenced by being the richest self made man on earth and founding/running the most valuable space and auto companies. Er …

Also, Tesla did indeed take care of the true early customers by creating a replacement battery for the Roadster. Elon never promised anything for Model S owners other than an 8 year battery warranty.

Why are you even here? Go have fun at /r/realtesla or on the TMC Elon forum.
You got it twisted and are moving the goal post. Reread my post. I never said he was incompetent. If he were, I wouldn't have been able to retire and travel the world in my 40s. I'm here to add a voice of reason to what is supposed be a forum about analyzing an investment. Why are you here? I could reply in kind but I'll wait to see if the mods are serious about curtailing snippiness.

Personally, I don't think a CEO should say "I don't care about our shareholders".

Please show us where Elon has ever once said the statement you represent as a "quote". Then I'll search Q for the same. Deal?

EDIT: I see upthread @Drumheller provided a link to the transcript for the David Faber/CNBC interview. It was DAVID FABER who asked "So you just don't care?" But you misremember that as Elon having said he don't care. What Elon meant clearly is that to him doing the right thing is more important than power, or money, and that he will do the right thing even at that cost. This is NO SURPRISE to anybody that follows Elon. It is absolutely consistant with his philosophy of life, and his past actions.

This, folks, is a classic example of why you should always read the source, and ignore the Q talking points... :p

151324a89931189ccae4946979503150.jpg

#FAQ.

Last edited:
Soros also dumped 75% of his Rivian stake as well over the past several months, according to this article from The Street:
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/rivian-burns-billionaire-george-soros

From the article: "During the first quarter ending March 31, Soros, through his hedge fund, Soros Fund Management, sold 10.77 million Rivian shares, or 75% of his stake, holding on to 3.58 million shares. The reduced stake was worth $55.4 million on March 31, but has lost further value, as Rivian's stock price is down 16.6% since the end of the quarter. Soros' position is currently valued at $46.2 million."

This quote is concerning to me. He may not care about losing his own billions, that is certainly his prerogative, but as CEO of Tesla he has fiduciary duties towards other shareholders, Tesla customers, employees and the society as a whole.