Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On monetizing auto fleet:

Elon stating that they still believe every HW3 tesla will still be capable of becoming a robotaxi

(missed opportunity to talk about insurance etc)
That wording raised my eyebrow. I pulled a full Roger Moore on that one.

What the heck does he mean by "we believe" ? There's an awful lot of leeway there. Didn't sound very "dead certainty."

20% margin for energy business is bad. A gut punch. Unless that number encompasses a drastic pumping of mega pack factories (a very specific hopium interpretation to have), there’s a lot of bad in this call. Anytime Elon has to revert to talking about autonomy as the savior, that’s not good. It’s the same like he’s given every earnings call since like 2016. Throw in some dojo and Optimus projections and yah, it translates to “all your calls are dead for the next 2 years” lol.

And the way analysts keep drilling on pricing and the way the team keeps answering basically comes out to “yah today our production was much higher than sales, so uhhh make the least dumb decision and drop prices.” And they can only do that so much with their margins. It’s why Wall Street momentum really first started dying on the earnings call where Wloj said they weren’t actively working in the cheap car, because the whole “50% growth every year” narrative is dead. It’s actually dead. Until that model 2 comes out. And yah, it’s coming now, but until then we’re going to be in this painful valley which was entirely preventable had they kept to a projected model 2 release rather than putting all eggs on this robotaxi business.

Then again this could all be a clever cover for the fact that the 4680 is wildly delayed, like 3 year ramp delay. Which is actually what I believed happened, and all this “we’re not working on model 2 cuz model 3/y sales are so dominant” talk was just a cover. That’s why Berlin was hinted to start with 4680 yet to this day doesn’t have it, why semi is delayed, why cybertruck is delayed, etc.

Disagree. Look at the average number of days of inventory for other manufs (60-90 days vs. 15 days for Tesla).

Other manufs know how well a car produced 3-4 months ago is selling today. Tesla knows how well a car not even produced yet is selling.
That was not the point … Elon was saying it takes a long time for OEMs to figure out what the sales were. When we get the transcripts we can see the exact language… I think Elon is talking about how dealers operated may be 20 years back.

But Less than Zero promised 80% margins… 100% margins…

o_O
If I remember correctly that 50%+ estimate from ZeroSumGame was solely for Megapack, whereas Zach was referring to Megapack and Powerwall combined, and Powerwall has worse margins.

It's also ambiguous whether Zach and Elon were including IRA tax incentives, installation, or long-term services revenue in the mid-20% estimate. Both of these constitute a substantial portion of ZSG's margin estimate.

Megapacks still are priced at over $400/kWh. With $45/kWh for free from the US gov't, that's like for $450-500/kWh of revenue for the hardware. 25% gross margin would imply cost of ~$350/kWh.

But the LFP cells should cost closer to $100/kWh, if not less. Is the rest of the cost structure really going to be $250/kWh? Another way to look at it: will the cells be merely 20-30% of the overall cost structure? I doubt it, after the factory is at scale anyway.

If Megapack prices come down and the IRA credits aren't included, I could see 25% gross margin in the long run.

Very unlikely to pass, the GOP only controls the House, not the Senate. And the President would veto any such provision.

Depends who plays hardball - President & Senate need the GOP controlled house to pass debt ceiling increase, which comes increasingly more desperate as the debt limit is reached and the US faces defaulting on debt.

At this point which party is more likely to risk the US defaulting for the chance of political wins? I think that is fairly obvious.

Dear Lord Elon's answers sometimes are frustrating to listen to.

Adam Jonas is literally giving Elon a easy freebie there with that question about Henry Ford and how Ford's ability to drop costs and realize efficiences forced many other auto makers to go out of business and if we're seeing a repeat of that.

All you had to say Elon to get some nice press was to say "While we're not intentionally trying to put other auto makers out of business, the DNA of Tesla is such that it's a natural byproduct. Tesla's efficiencies and constant reduction in COGS will lead to other auto manufacturers going out of business".