Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon: Higher volumes, lower margins - hoping for extra margin from FSD in future.

yeah if you're in the "FSD is in the bag" camp you'll love this.... Wall St. is gonna hear "We've decided to permanently lower vehicle margins to drive volume and hope to make it up with a thing that doesn't exist yet" and hate it.

The big thing I’ve been waiting for.

Musk said Cybertruck launch event likely in Q3. Customer deliveries usually lag the launch event by 1 month.

First customers should be driving around in Cybertrucks by October. Maybe as soon as August.

EDIT: later in the call Musk said “around the end of Q3” so customer deliveries is likely October -> November. Not a huge surprise. Nice to see this confirmed though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that line of reasoning. I'd like to hear a strategy to achieve higher margins indepenent of FSD, meaning sooner.

I agree with you in terms of my hopes as an Investor seeking future returns.

But I like it in “The mission” terms of wanting to see as many Teslas on the road as quickly as possible.

And I love it in terms of a consumer and being able to get future vehicle purchasers cheaper (or choosing higher trim options for same price as the entry level trims used to cost)

Interesting Elon just clarified when he said energy>auto he meant by gwh, not by revenue.... and Zach says they'll likely be adding storage to P&D report, and that they're aiming for margins comparable to auto.
I actually laughed out loud: Elon has been saying "Energy is gonna be bigger than auto from 2016" at least...
and all the time he was thinking GWh and not $$$ :D
We've been trolled for 7 years (but still love it, GWh is good enough).