Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. As new Tesla vehicles become cheaper, resale value will continue to drop. A Model Y somebody got for $55k earlier this year may re-sell for $30k in 2 years if the price of a new Model Y drops to $40k by then. The buyers who enjoyed excellent resale value are those who purchased before mid-2021.
Anyone who thinks cars are an investment (other than some antiques that are almost never driven) needs some summer classes before they can graduate.

I don't think so. As new Tesla vehicles become cheaper, resale value will continue to drop. A Model Y somebody got for $55k earlier this year may re-sell for $30k in 2 years if the price of a new Model Y drops to $40k by then. The buyers who enjoyed excellent resale value are those who purchased before mid-2021.
Fair point, but what are your alternatives? As the world moves more and more to EVs, I believe that ICEV will take an additional resale value hit because they aren't EVs...So I'm not sure how you beat this trend of Tesla scaling and the price reductions that naturally occur as a result. Buy a Kia? MachE? MB EQS? Don't see how that helps...ICEV? No way. Maybe the only solution is to buy the Hummer EV, since the volumes are so low that demand will still remain pent up....Brilliant Mary!

Fair point, but what are your alternatives? As the world moves more and more to EVs, I believe that ICEV will take an additional resale value hit because they aren't EVs...So I'm not sure how you beat this trend of Tesla scaling and the price reductions that naturally occur as a result. Buy a Kia? MachE? MB EQS? Don't see how that helps...ICEV? No way. Maybe the only solution is to buy the Hummer EV, since the volumes are so low that demand will still remain pent up....Brilliant Mary!

Exactly. If I were to buy a car today, without regards to environmental concerns, I'd rather get a well-used ICE, drive it for 2-3 years, and then buy a Tesla. During this time, I bet a new Tesla would be going down in value more than my used ICE would. Or if I really wanted an EV now, I'd get a used Tesla.

This is about the worst time to buy a new car. Teslas are still expensive, other EVs are crappy or unavailable, and ICE cars are on the way out.

My other thought here is this is the quarter when Energy finally blooms?

The business has other tailwinds in 2023 as well:
  • Tesla plans to recognise $1B in deferred revenue from FSD (w. the wide release of v.11 "Single Stack" at the end of March, I expect at least $250M of that in Q1)
  • Tesla has $22B in cash, that's likely earning net interest of about 0.5% for Q1 (2%/yr), so call that > $100M in interest income
  • Tesla is now earning IRA production credits for its battery manufacturing:
    • 50% of 2170 credits // Panasonic at Giga Nevada (0.5*9million*$45=$200M)
    • 100% of 4680 credits // Giga Texas (Q2 est'd ~$40M & inc ea. Qtr)
  • that's ~$400M in Q1 in extra revenue (equivalent to +$1,000 for each car delivered)
  • economies of scale due to increased factory utilization are another cost saving, and decreased raw materials costs will also improve veh. gross margins over time
  • @The Accountant first brought up the issue of Tesla's "Deferred Tax Credits / Valuation allowance here years ago: (I think Tesla began claiming some in 2022Q4... this may continue in Q1. Paging @mongo)
Path to S&P Inclusion - valuation allowance - "Net Operating Loss Carryforward" $1.8 B

TL;dr Tesla isn't your father's Oldsmobile... ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tried to shop for what in my mind was going to be a cheap beater M3 for daughter's learner permit. Oh boy was I mistaken.

The cheapest non salvage M3 that I found in all of the US is this one:View attachment 927194 $26000. A new one is View attachment 927196-$7500=$34490. Six years old, 110k miles and worth over 75% of what a new one costs. Naturally they have dropped more from the 2017 introductory pricing as well as last year's peak. But if you use today's price as a baseline, the resale value is absolutely astounding.

The $ that could have gone into advertising instead went into building a superior product and it shows in the demand still six years later. The superiority year by year over used and new competitors remind drivers and riders every day. How many of the competitors' ad campaigns from 2017 are still at work getting replayed everyday in 2023?

As a shareholder I like this.
I find myself realizing that there is a BIG gap between what my 2018 TM3 is "worth" in the market and what it's worth to me. It now has 80K miles on it. Paint and interior are immaculate (I do pride myself of taking excellent care of my vehicles). Looks and feels brand new IMO. I just put a new set of Michelins on it, so it might as well be new to me. How much would I pay for a fancy new one with an octovalve? Maybe $100. I've already got the latest firmware and beta FSD rockin'... So, just like my TSLA, I will HODL my 2018 TM3.

Tesla plans to recognise $1B in deferred revenue from FSD (w. the wide release of v.11 "Single Stack" at the end of March, I expect at least $250M of that in Q1)
What would they be recognizing revenue for?

All of those people already had the FSD Beta, and I don't think any new functionality was added in V11. So, I wouldn't expect any additional revenue to be recognized from the V11 release in Q1.

I plan to keep my Model Y for the next 10 years or longer.. I've had it for about 2 years now.. with all software updates I just don't see a reason to update to a newer one..

So resale value doesn't mean much to me.
I agree. Hoping that the Y will last at least 10+ years. Currently on year 3. My record is 15.5 years before I could let that car go.
However, it is interesting that Tesla has basically locked us in. The ecosystem is better than other brands. Plus if you got FSD (Beta) (which I did before it got too expensive), I couldn't justify the cost of it now and don't want to live without it. Although the new car price is similar to what I paid, the $15K FSD package is just too high to even consider it. I've driven back and forth across this country with FSD and it was quite relaxing... most of the time. When something did show up (like the minor phantom braking on the rolling hills in ND), it did allow me to have a "discussion" with the car about what it was doing. It does help keep the driver more alert! :)

Why is Musk so confident about Burnt Hair coming soon?

Seems like it won’t be auto, the whole auto side of the story is fairly tightly bound. There might be a small upside surprise, but certainly volume or revenue are pretty well known.

Possibly margins on auto are going to crush? With Berlin and Austin in full swing and raw materials pricing down, may be a surprise with margins.

My other thought here is this is the quarter when Energy finally blooms?

Edit. Or more likely, like with most Tesla Kremlinology, Burnt Hair is just literally a weird perfume/ scent idea and there is no catalyst coming soon.

I’m thinking he has something in store sometime soon. He wasn’t joking around about the burnt shorts the first time and he replied to that tweet. He says they are working on burnt hair and it has to be just right. I’m actually thinking the timing has to be just right of when they release the product. I think the release will coincide or just be right before shorts get burnt again. Just like what happened last time.

Dang, I was hoping Tesla would do this LLM development instead of Twitter. Anyways, I do think Twitter will be the first external customer for dojo. And likewise these LLM models would definitely feedback into Optimus.

Just hope they'll be state of art by then.