Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who would want to buy old ICE factories if ICE market is shrinking ?

They would need to remove the ICE making equipment and put in new equipment to make EVs.
Presumably they would raze the buildings and build new whatevers. Basically just land value. Fremont shows the problem with trying to convert ICE to BEV.

Presumably they would raze the buildings and build new whatevers. Basically just land value. Fremont shows the problem with trying to convert ICE to BEV.
Thats what I was thinking - "upgrading" existing factories to produce EVs is a LOT faster than building new ones (from regulatory perspective). So use the common infrastructure like building, power, water etc - but build new lines / machinery within the building. They could even reuse painting shops etc.

Lolz

So , exactly which companies am I supposed to be afraid of ramping to high EV volumes with low cost, efficient factories?

BYD maybe..

But wow, with Toyota still pushing hybrids and now this from Volkswagen, it seems like a tipping point to me. I never really wholeheartedly believed that some major car companies would pretty much collapse, but seems to become more likely year after year...

Thats what I was thinking - "upgrading" existing factories to produce EVs is a LOT faster than building new ones (from regulatory perspective). So use the common infrastructure like building, power, water etc - but build new lines / machinery within the building. They could even reuse painting shops etc.
Exactly. An EV is not all that different from an ICE in structure, I don't know why some seem to think you need a different building to produce them.

Who would want to buy old ICE factories if ICE market is shrinking ?

They would need to remove the ICE making equipment and put in new equipment to make EVs.

Problem is that Tesla has shown us that converting old ICE factories to BEV is not the most efficient way to go.

Look at how inefficient Fremont is compared to Shanghai. The work and materials sourcing input flows are not the same..

Will it work? Yes. Will it have the same output per man hour as Tesla? Highly doubtful.

While I never believed many of Elon's promises and only paid a total of $10k for two FSD licenses I do think Elon's promises have significantly hurt his reputation and the ripple effect has harmed Tesla as well. I'm hoping Tesla will consider options to help customers who are rightfully upset over this in the future.
While only updated thru 2021 this list of Elon's promise is striking.

FSD Timeline Promises (summary)

As far as Investor day it will be all about scale.
I can see people make a case at 15k, but paying 5k for what Tesla is delivering today is WAY above what you get vs the industry, but is short of Elon's promise. I mean the driver assest package you buy from other manufactures are just pure trash. They limit you where it can be used, runs into stop cars, disable or just runs you off the road at a light curve, and can't do any of the advance functions FSD can do besides ping ponging between two lanes markers in a straight line. Top it all off, it is not OTA upgradable so you are stuck with what you have or go to the dealer and wait 5hrs.

And those systems are not free either, in which you can only get it by buying higher trim packages first before you are allowed to upgrade to the advanced driver assistant packages. So perhaps you can blame Elon for upselling FSD with his grand promise, but for 5k it was a bargain.

The only true competitor to FSD beta is what you get from Waymo/Cruise as features are close enough to be compared. Yes, Waymo is way more reliable in their pre-programmed area, but the car comes with over 100k worth of software/hardware and a team of engineers fixing every little problem on the fly. Not only that, it's not commercially available for purchase and due to it's limited geofencing, it's doesn't work beyond those areas. So it only works 0.001% of US roads even if it's available to purchase.

So yeah, it's pretty difficult to make a case that you were gipped 5K. You can be in the "well I wouldn't have spent 5k if I am not allowed to make 100k/year as a Tesla robotaxi according to Elon" camp but that's probably not a reasonable position to take.

Last edited:
I can see people make a case at 15k, but paying 5k for what Tesla is delivering today is WAY above what you get vs the industry, but is short of Elon's promise. I mean the driver assest package you buy from other manufactures are just pure trash. They limit you where it can be used, runs into stop cars, disable or just runs you off the road at a light curve, and can't do any of the advance functions FSD can do besides ping ponging between two lanes markers in a straight line. Top it all off, it is not OTA upgradable so you are stuck with what you have or go to the dealer and wait 5hrs.

And those systems are not free either, in which you can only get it by buying higher trim packages first before you are allowed to upgrade to the advanced driver assistant packages. So perhaps you can blame Elon for upselling FSD with his grand promise, but for 5k it was a bargain.

The only true competitor to FSD beta is what you get from Waymo/Cruise as features are close enough to be compared. Yes, Waymo is way more reliable in their pre-programmed area, but the car comes with over 100k worth of software/hardware and a team of engineers fixing every little problem on the fly. Not only that, it's not commercially available for purchase and due to it's limited geofencing, it's doesn't work beyond those areas. So it only works 0.001% of US roads even if it's available to purchase.

So yeah, it's pretty difficult to make a case that you were gipped 5K. You can be in the "well I wouldn't have spent 5k if I am not allowed to make 100k/year as a Tesla robotaxi according to Elon" camp but that's probably not a reasonable position to take.
There were some very specific claims made during Autonomy Day 2019 that were used to push FSD, with robotaxis to be enabled in 2020 (pending regulatory approval), many snippets of these have been circulating around the AI subforum

1677229176476-png.910690

Don't know, I think Tesla's butt is pretty covered but these claims from Autonomy Day are probably the biggest risk I can see. And it wasn't even that many years ago.

Require some extensive retooling with lengthy downtimes?
Yes, but they can reuse the building, the workers, stamping presses, the bodyshop robots, and paintshops.

The temptation is to make EVs with only small changes to body shape and a lot of the existing ICE GA parts to save time and money.

The problems with a compromised design can be higher costs, less efficent, dated asthethics, overall not an appealing car.

I would reuse the factory becuase otherwise they are laying off a lot of workers in one location and hiring in a new location, or asking workers to move. But I would avoid the compromised design, Do an EV specific design with new tooling.

Elon liking multiple tweets commodity prices decreasing, hopefully a sign of Tesla commodity costs going down.

Lumber -63% o_O I knew it was fake AF back then. So, eggs are the new lumber?

Me too. This is a very complex board though! Munro is all about manufacturing and costing. Everyone has their specialties. I wouldn't expect them to know about this type of complex board, AI chips, etc.
I disagree. They did show their 'expert' 'analyzing' this which basically says "stay away from our new tech analytics". At least to me it does.

From the "Tesla Model X Owners Club" on facebook:

"The Tesla service center near my house had about 20 Model X all lined up nice and pretty in the parking lot. My curious self had to stop in and find out why they all had QR codes on the windshields. Can you believe they are all $20,000 cheaper than MSRP!! I asked one of the service guys who obviously had no clue because he didn’t even realize there were QR codes on them. But his boss came out and told me that all the showrooms are clearing out their older X and S. And that all the showrooms will be receiving a new product on Tuesday. ... Not to mention, these cars for sale are 40K cheaper than when I bought my X."

Presumably FSD HW 4 will start shipping Tuesday. Sigh, and I've only owned my Model X for 14 months now...

I am buying used next time. Mine is down $50k.

But that's a huge announcement. VW is saying that BEVs are eating market share out of ICE so much that they have no choice but to convert factories or else they'd end up with stranded ICE factories. It is actually an obvious development.
This is about not having the luxury of taking 3 years and putting up new buildings before they finally get around to production - it is also acknowledgement that they need to conserve cash now for their impending years in the wilderness which they will be having before they can regain market share. If they don't prepare now for the worst, they will come out of the fire as a chicken briquette rather than a phoenix.

Problem is that Tesla has shown us that converting old ICE factories to BEV is not the most efficient way to go.

Look at how inefficient Fremont is compared to Shanghai. The work and materials sourcing input flows are not the same..

Will it work? Yes. Will it have the same output per man hour as Tesla? Highly doubtful.

Europe has literally banned new ICE passenger vehicles being sold in 12 years time. All the ICE factories are going to be worthless as ICE factories soon, so makes complete sense that VW will convert them all to EV Manufacturing, keeping the very valuable permits and consents in place, as well as reusing large amounts of the plant & equipment (paint shop, stamping, robots etc) & trained workforce. Fremont itself was a ICE factory when Tesla purchased it.

Europe has literally banned new ICE passenger vehicles being sold in 12 years time. All the ICE factories are going to be worthless as ICE factories soon, so makes complete sense that VW will convert them all to EV Manufacturing, keeping the very valuable permits and consents in place, as well as reusing large amounts of the plant & equipment (paint shop, stamping, robots etc) & trained workforce. Fremont itself was a ICE factory when Tesla purchased it.

My POINT - a "factory" is not a "factory" per se. Can they be converted? YES. Will they be as efficient as a ground-up design? Not a chance in hell.

Tesla's GF Berlin will likely be able to produce 2-3X the cars from the same floorspace.

As Elon keeps telling us, it's the machine that builds the machine. Tesla is on version 3.0. VW is retrofitting version 1.0.

I understand WHY VW is doing this (it's an easy sell to the Board and shareholders). But from a long-term vision play, it's not nearly as efficient, and that lack of efficiency against a HYPER-EFFICIENT player like Tesla is not going to work out well long-term.