Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHAT DID I MISS???

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 2.11.11 PM.png

So, will Government Motors (GM) have to change the name to CCPM, or is "government" general enough to keep it the same?

I'd hate to see them have to change the bright, shiny, new Elon logo they created.

That GM logo Elon joke aside, the lowercase "g" is strikingly similar to a gas nozzle, either intentionally or subconsciously appealing to their designers and executives who approved it, despite their stated brand identity as a drive to increase adoption of electric vehicles.

Intentionally, it could be the "g" represents "gas" shaping like a gas nozzle, and the M stylized like a rotated uppercase "E", with a line connecting those two, seemingly clever, but stubborn (sticking to ICEv) and hopeless (transitioning to EV).

With inspiration from GM's brilliant minds, here I present their latest logo:
gm.jpg

The first of the golden parachutes deploys. Toyota management capitulates, steps down so next generation of management can move the company into the 21st century.

You have to realize we are watching the next generations business school case studies unveiling as we speak. Did Akio Toyoda wait too long to step down? They have at least 5 years of catching up while onboarding a new CEO. I find the headline here extremely ironic. Toyoda watched as newcomers undermined the foundation of his empire for 10+ years and didn’t recognize it. If he’s lucky, the next generation of Toyota leadership will salvage what he’s build and he won’t have to watch his life’s work falling apart. Calling what he did a “Blueprint” for anything is a joke.

Honestly, it seemed to me like Elon and Zach were being pretty conservative (for the most part) throughout the call and the biting their tongues during some of the analyst's questions, especially Jonas (who seemed to indicate he knew more than he should).
That sort of behaviour is a worry.
Analysts shouldn't get hand-holding.
Or anything else.
That we private punters don't also get.

Playing around with the 50% CAGR starting in 2020 with 510k vehicles. In order to meet this goal, Tesla is going to have to produce this many vehicles each year:

2021: 765k
2022: 1.15M
2023: 1.72M
2024: 2.58M
2025: 3.87M
2026: 5.81M
2027: 8.71M
2028: 13.07M
2029: 19.61M

Now I see the basis for 20M units per year by 2030.
Now show me the way to do 6m units add in the last year ? It can't be done in a sensible manner, if nothing else the suppliers will down tools.

So sketch a more realistic curve and look carefully at the implications for 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: StapleGun
What did it seem Jonas knew that he shouldn't have?
Just in some of the halting ways when he was talking with Elon... he seemed more informed than the other analysts at least to me. If you have a chance to listen to it again maybe you can hear it too. Really stood out to me.

The first of the golden parachutes deploys. Toyota management capitulates, steps down so next generation of management can move the company into the 21st century.

You have to realize we are watching the next generations business school case studies unveiling as we speak. Did Akio Toyoda wait too long to step down? They have at least 5 years of catching up while onboarding a new CEO. I find the headline here extremely ironic. Toyoda watched as newcomers undermined the foundation of his empire for 10+ years and didn’t recognize it. If he’s lucky, the next generation of Toyota leadership will salvage what he’s build and he won’t have to watch his life’s work falling apart. Calling what he did a “Blueprint” for anything is a joke.

I have a slightly different take...

Akio Toyoda getting criticism from current Chairman, wants more control, handpicks successor & replaces Chairman with himself.

Hydrogen, hybrid & synthetic fuel full ahead. Toyota accelerating towards irrelevance.

I have a slightly different take...

Akio Toyoda getting criticism from current Chairman, wants more control, handpicks successor & replaces Chairman with himself.

Hydrogen, hybrid & synthetic fuel full ahead. Toyota accelerating towards irrelevance.

If that's how this plays out then Toyota will diminish over time into true irrelevance. They are already terribly late to the EV game, if they don't start running NOW they will be left very far behind by the automakers who are paying attention.

If that's how this plays out then Toyota will diminish over time into true irrelevance. They are already terribly late to the EV game, if they don't start running NOW they will be left very far behind by the automakers who are paying attention.
Isn’t Toyota already done for? They’re too late to the BEV game. Everyone else has come up with at least an acceptable product, and Toyota doesn’t even have a prototype. Toyota today is like Nokia in the late 2000’s. Nokia was too late to adopt Android and decided to go all in on Windows Phone. It was a decent wager because Nokia was already too far behind competitors in producing Android phones. Too bad they lost.

The only possible way out is for Toyota to purchase another EV maker to adopt the technology. It’ll be a painful learning process but it’s the only thing that will keep them from bankruptcy.