Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine BYD and others have merger scenarios for all the legacy automakers most likely to fail in the next 5 years. It’s a matter of price, product availability and politics, etc., to pull the trigger.

So, will Government Motors (GM) have to change the name to CCPM, or is "government" general enough to keep it the same?

I'd hate to see them have to change the bright, shiny, new Elon logo they created.

1674659292383.png

EL
ON​

Good point, but I do believe some of the battery technology improvements are already incorporated in the 500GWh/year of cells prediction.

Elon says the expansion in Nevada has a first target of 100 GWh/year of 4680 cells, but that this output could improve to 500 GWh over time. So I expect this increase over time to include both production ramp/efficiencies AND improved cell power density.

Just to temper expectations slightly. Either way the expansion is bullish and shows that Tesla is extremely confident they have 4680 production down.

On the video, Elon said the existing plant is Phase 1, and this newly-announced 100GWh/yr plant is Phase 2. Then there would be Phases 3, 4, etc. to get to 500GWh/yr.

I do agree that there is room for interpretation about the 100GWh/yr output. If the current bty workshop at Giga Texas (which has been announced as having 50GWh/yr capacity) is the prototype for Giga Nevada Phase 2, then it may be that the 100GWh/yr target INCLUDES future improvements in chemistry.

It don't think it matters though. Tesla will just keep building battery factory modules until they have enough bty capacity. This is exactly how I envisioned Tesla's exponential growth with the "G-Cube" comment I posted way, way back in April 2020:

Going forward, it's all about sourcing raw materials! :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Once Tesla gets the 4680 Xerox machine tuned up and running it will be like setting up McDonald's franchises at each of their production facilities. Raw materials is the limiting factor and they are working toward addressing this too.

Duplicate, duplicate, duplicate the machine that builds the batteries with the greatest speed, smallest footprint and lowest cost.

With this recipe perfected, in addition to Tesla's other established battery streams, it is a slam dunk thanks to planning, preparation, and execution on the part of Tesla. ...
I love the sentiment and am bullish about the prospects but..
It is crucial to remember that nothing about Tesla is a "slam dunk".
Tesla does manufacturing so very well and new technologies (such as octovalve, Gigapress, factory OS, vehicle OS) so very well that it seems to be a 'slam dunk' but it is always a highly complex, precise and accurate amalgam of very difficult things.

The reason I make this point is that delays and errors in any of this cause cascading problems. Tesla has proven since the beginning that rapid iteration is their methodology.

As investors, not enthusiasts, we need to understand the risks. FWIW, in my opinion the best investing approach is to understand all the risks one can identify and consider the consequences and mitigants. It is that approach that allowed relative calm during the extreme disruptions of last year.

As an Elon-related investor and observer since 2010, and multiple companies, A calm and deliberate, ever-so-slightly-cynical approach has helped to survive nicely through seemingly endless 'sturm und drang'. In sum, I cannot imagine a 'slam dunk' in anything at all associated with Mr. Musk.

From Zip2 to Neuralink it has seemed to be Douglas Adams' Infinite Improbability principle in action. Reality is vastly different.

In the end I HODL, almost literally, but never cease to worry about blue birds and other black swans.

I wish he would complain about the lease loop hole and the hybrids with tiny batteries qualifying for the full EV tax credit.

Manchin writes bill to stop temporary electric vehicle tax credits​

"It is unacceptable that the U.S. Treasury has failed to issue updated guidance for the 30D electric vehicle tax credits and continues to make the full $7,500 credits available without meeting all of the clear requirements included in the Inflation Reduction Act," Manchin said in a statement sent to Ars.

The Treasury Department failed to meet the statutory deadline of December 31, 2022, to release guidance for the 30D credit and have created an opportunity to circumvent stringent supply chain requirements included in the IRA. The IRA is first-and-foremost an energy security bill, and the EV tax credits were designed to grow domestic manufacturing and reduce our reliance on foreign supply chains for the critical minerals needed to produce EV batteries... Being an automotive powerhouse is in our blood which is why it is shameful that we rely so heavily on foreign suppliers, particularly China, for the batteries that power our electric vehicles.

Manchin writes bill to stop temporary electric vehicle tax credits

I wish he would complain about the lease loop hole and the hybrids with tiny batteries qualifying for the full EV tax credit.
Well, Manchin is entirely correct in this case. The intent of the legislation was to onshore the battery supply chain all the way back to the mine. The Biden administration is subverting that purpose.

Tesla will mostly qualify and will make its investments regardless, so it's not something that is to Tesla's ultimate detriment, except that it could cause confusion and hesitation in the market meanwhile Tesla is the main seller of BEVs in the U.S.

And of course, this whole law is unsustainable and therefore will not be sustained for very long.

Last edited:

Manchin writes bill to stop temporary electric vehicle tax credits
Toyota is in Manchin's pocket. He and they are why hybrids are included.
Even if it does it would almost certainly be symbolic because Biden could and probably would veto. This was the flagship legislative initiative of his term so far and it would be very weird if he reversed position on this.
The dems are too busy trying to keep the government from defaulting and just generally fighting the Rep House to worry about this sort of small potatoes.

Even if it does it would almost certainly be symbolic because Biden could and probably would veto. This was the flagship legislative initiative of his term so far and it would be very weird if he reversed position on this.
Spending bills require only a majority vote because they are must-pass. Manchin's bill won't survive as a standalone, but he is probably putting it down as a marker for inclusion in the spending bill deal that Biden will eventually have to swallow.

I am writing this post from Reno. While it's true that many big companies came to Reno when Tesla came, and while it's true there was a labor issue at the time, what has changed is that housing (particularly apartments) have caught up with (and somewhat passed) demand and that Reno is an attractive place to move to now in order to work for Tesla. That was not true when there was little available housing years ago.
This always seems to happen to Tesla. People will remember what Elon said two years ago and treat it as gospel for today when conditions have evolved dramatically. In this case, Econ 101 shows that shortages will resolve themselves over time if the market is left alone to do its job. We can be thankful Nevada didn’t impose rent caps or other silliness to “fix” the housing problem.

On an unrelated note, I’m surprised that 4680s will be used for stationary since they are currently built with a really strong and presumably expensive steel case suitable for structural cells. Maybe they can use a thinner case for non structural packs. Probably an easy change actually.

FnRky_QX0AEKJsA

That JB Straubel guy. I think I heard of him before. Maybe Joe Manchin should look him up and have a chat how Straubel is wrong.

FnRky_QX0AEKJsA

That JB Straubel guy. I think I heard of him before. Maybe Joe Manchin should look him up and have a chat how Straubel is wrong.
More appropriate would have been the energy production act if this is the final impact. 🔋

It’s all rain dances anyway. If it rains, it’s because you danced. If it doesn’t rain, it’s because you didn’t dance enough.

Reactions: SOULPEDL and Rarity
Of course Microsoft guided cautiously, as everybody else is being caution,
as everybody awaits the recession. I would expect Tesla to be somewhat
cautious too in their guidance, even though lower prices should expand demand
and production is increasing rapidly.

Waiting for a Godot, and waiting for this recession have parallels.
What’s the old saying, the mkt has forecasted 9 of the last 5 recessions.

Well, the EV incentives are being paid for by a new 15% minimum corporate tax, so that part is sustainable (revenue neutral to the Federal Gov't)

US Inflation Reduction Act includes 15% corporate minimum tax on income > www.ey.com
The thought that it will be revenue neutral seems fanciful. The cost figures that they put in the budget for the law were extremely unrealistic. When that fact becomes clear, and they find it difficult to exclude Tesla in some fashion, the law will be amended or go away.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tim S and Nocturnal
It's hard not see that this Better Battery Bill nonsense is in direct response to the current IRA backfiring on Model Y due to Tesla price correction. Heck, I thought the bill was originally created to slow Tesla. Now I'm certain due to the timing here. They will effectively cause some to wait and see, adding to FUD. It doesn't need to pass (and won't IMO). But tie it to the debt limit mess? Hope not, a game of chicken that is.

I imagine BYD and others have merger scenarios for all the legacy automakers most likely to fail in the next 5 years. It’s a matter of price, product availability and politics, etc., to pull the trigger.
Westerns brands with pedigree will be very helpful for the Chinese to break into Western markets.

It's happening already. SAIC bought MG and is already high on the sales lists in Europe. Geely bought Volvo/Polestar.

Last edited: