Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spec is 119 KW front motor powered by a 1.9KWh battery. That's over a 60C discarge rate. That means it can run at full power for less than a minute. Sounds more an F1-inspired KERS package to me.

Realistically, it'd probably exceed thermal limits in 20s. So maybe software limited to 10s at max power? Just enough for a quarter mile sprint?
I was shocked at the small capacity of the battery too. I'm thinking they put a full contact cooling plate between each cell to minimize heat issues but that's not going to reduce the number of charge/discharge cycles that battery will go through if people use full acceleration regularly. I'll predict driving enthusiasts who actually use the power on a regular basis are going to replace that battery every 5 years. GM is banking on the fact that their typical customer will rarely be flooring the car because I bet it's warranted as part of an 8 year powertrain warranty.

Maybe they think having to bring it in for warranty battery replacements will keep them in the ICE camp a few more years.

I was shocked at the small capacity of the battery too. I'm thinking they put a full contact cooling plate between each cell to minimize heat issues but that's not going to reduce the number of charge/discharge cycles that battery will go through if people use full acceleration regularly. I'll predict driving enthusiasts who actually use the power on a regular basis are going to replace that battery every 5 years. GM is banking on the fact that their typical customer will rarely be flooring the car because I bet it's warranted as part of an 8 year powertrain warranty.

Maybe they think having to bring it in for warranty battery replacements will keep them in the ICE camp a few more years.

Haha, that's gotta be it: repeat business. Even at $1,000/KWh that's only a $1,900 part. So GM deakers charge Corvette owners, wot? $2,500? But I'd bet the battery is worn out after 100 quarter-mile sprints at 60C discharge! Cheap, wot? That's like $10/mile for racing! (plus the cost of Premium dinojuice).

Meanwhile, Andrew over at the Tesla Plaid Channel already has over 250 quarter mile races on his 2022 Plaid S w/o a single mechanical failure (and he runs 9.3s/151mph in the quarter mile). :D

Cheers!

Spec is 119 KW front motor powered by a 1.9KWh battery. That's over a 60C discharge rate, which means a full discharge in less than a minute. They hybrid Corvette sounds more an F1-inspired KERS package to me.

Realistically, the battery would probably exceed thermal limits in far less time than that. So maybe software limited to 10s operation at max power? Just enough for a quarter mile sprint?
Ultium is a hybrid capacitor-battery so supports very high C-rates but, predictably, sits between Ultracaps and Li-Ion in both energy- and power-density.

As I've previously noted this is a bit odd, but now we know that it is 36 units which was previously unclear,

1674211279784.png

Since when did delivery of 36 Semis not constitute something that ought to be reported on the end-quarter P&D report as either Production or Delivery, or both ?

(It is of course possible that additional units might have gone to other clients in confidence, but at least we now know the minimum was 36)

Is it possible that a crack team of developers and engineers have been working 14 hour days on Optimus since the last time you forgot Tesla was working such a thing?
If there's a "crack team" of engineers working 14 hours a day on Optimus, I'm going to be really pissed off if Cybertruck deliveries don't start by June. Said with no humor what so ever.

As I've previously noted this is a bit odd, but now we know that it is 36 units which was previously unclear,

View attachment 897782

Since when did delivery of 36 Semis not constitute something that ought to be reported on the end-quarter P&D report as either Production or Delivery, or both ?

(It is of course possible that additional units might have gone to other clients in confidence, but at least we now know the minimum was 36)
Rob Maurer talked through the Reuters article (the source of this claim) on the day it was released and was sceptical. The new video only shows 4 trucks and I'd assume that if Pepsi had 36 of them they would have had more displayed?

On a side note - is it a market norm for heavy vehicles to have production and delivery figures published a couple of days after quarter end? I had a quick look on the PACCAR website as an example and couldn't find anything. Perhaps it's just light commercial/passenger vehicles that are announced as a market norm?

Edit: The Modesto Bee article says that this facility is only expecting 15 Tesla Semis

The semis are part of an overall order of 15. In early December, Tesla CEO Elon Musk held a flashy private event at the company’s Gigafactory in Sparks, Nev., to celebrate the delivery of the first semi to the Modesto plant. Williams and fellow PepsiCo executive Kirk Tanner were at the event, which featured lasers, smoke and a lot of high-fives. The electric semis have been on the road since, used for distribution of Frito-Lay products. The plant’s sustainability project also includes the purchase of 38 Volvo natural gas-powered semis, six electric Peterbilt box trucks, 12 electric forklifts and three electric yard tractors. The site also installed additional solar panels and on-site charging and battery storage stations.

Read more at: https://www.modbee.com/news/business/article271282657.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Rob Maurer posted a link to this Chinese assisted driving test and Tesla get a perfect score; fun video:

This video makes me ashamed to be American.

As Americans we should be proud we have an American company accomplishing so much yet "we" slander, attack, criticize, and lie. Whatever it takes to undermine and destroy. The only place we can get a test that isn't rigged against Tesla is in China. what does that say about our culture?

As Americans we should be proud we have an American company accomplishing so much yet "we" slander, attack, criticize, and lie. Whatever it takes to undermine and destroy. The only place we can get a test that isn't rigged against Tesla is in China. what does that say about our culture?
It says that by undermining education, we've allowed the crooks to take control.

Considering Teslas are the only ones having "brake issues" in China and publishers got sued and told to publicly apologize and fined in China for making up BS, I wouldn't call China innocent.

Almost three months old, but still worth sharing this datapoint from the UK, as it probably has not changed much. If you want an EV that's not a Tesla, count on having to waiting up to half a year extra.

Found out why $TSLA was down today :)

That Edmund‘s choice of “winners” doesn’t include direct sale manufacturers is not surprising considering this: CarMax to acquire all of Edmunds in $404 million deal

Last edited:
Almost three months old, but still worth sharing this datapoint from the UK, as it probably has not changed much. If you want an EV that's not a Tesla, count on having to waiting up to half a year extra.

But, we have an ICE car of the same brand and color for immediate delivery ;):D
Seriously though I think this is a deliberate strategy. Dangle those 0 margin EVs in front of buyers to steer them away from Tesla and better yet sell them an ICE with profit margin in the meantime.

Why is that suddenly news?
Because the Mass Media will bring up any kind of negative item. Tesla, by becoming successful without advertising in Mass Media, is a threat to their (and some of their customers') existence. Of course, if you have a quality product at an affordable price, advertising really isn't required. It also helps that people really don't want the same hundred plus year old items with just a new skin.

Is it possible that a crack team of developers and engineers have been working 14 hour days on Optimus since the last time you forgot Tesla was working such a thing?
They are all working on fighting bots on the bird.

*runs away

I do wonder when we will get the next update. Hopefully sometime this year.

That Edmund‘s choice of “winners” doesn’t include direct sale manufacturers is not surprising considering this: CarMax to acquire all of Edmunds in $404 million deal
I don't care for them but to be fair they did include the Model 3 as a finalist. Y was not included though. They said nice things about it at least.

Last edited: