Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on automotive experts, I think it’s fair to say that the child seats definitely were a major factor. Problem?

MSM will word things in such a way to never give Tesla any credit. Based on other accidents there, rescue workers said it’s a near miracle that anyone survived.

When the actual rescue workers involved with the crash are now interested in Teslas, I’d say it’s not because of the child seats.

Quoting the journalist about demand issues: ‘It takes forever to get these cars’. (At 2:22)

It's hilarious how she tried to present Tesla in the worst possible light by naming as many negative things she could think of that she had heard to explain the demand problem. She mentioned how buyers had "buyer's remorse" due to the cars working in an unfamiliar manner (that must be why Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating in the industry, right?) and that the low demand was explained partly by the fact that "it takes forever to get them". Huh? So I can tell when a product has low demand because it takes a long time to find one?

Next up: Gasoline prices are hitting two-year highs due to low demand and over supply. Motorists frustrated by long lines at area gas stations.

The best clue from Elon is when he sells. He always sells at the local tops. Probably 10/10 success rate that beats all the TA in the universe.
Its not that he sells at local tops, but rather his selling, with its volume and velocity, leads to supports broken and more selling that ensues. If Elon wakes up tomorrow and sell 5k shares chances are it wont be at a local top.

C'mon, SEMIs!

"When Elon Musk announced plans to upend the long-haul trucking industry five years ago, it was hard to not laugh."
bloomberg.com

Opinion | Elon's Impossible Electric Truck Is Getting the Last Laugh
5:19 PM · Dec 14, 2022

"...The decline of domestic oil refining and 2022’s squeeze in energy prices have conspired to drive US truck fuel costs up to almost double what they were five years ago. Plug the current prices of Californian diesel and commercial electricity into the trucking expenditure calculator made by logistics-data company ACT Research Co., and even an electric rig that’s twice as pricey to buy as a conventional vehicle is getting 12% cost savings every mile, equivalent to nearly $17,000 a year at typical usage levels."

Another laughable article. The original reason the Tesla Semi was a joke was because it violated the laws of physics. Apparently, a doubling of the price of diesel is all it took to re-write the laws of physics. Powerful stuff, that economics. :rolleyes:

Well, NBC nightly news showed the cliff accident. They immediately said it was a Tesla. Of course they said the kids’ lives were saved because….they were in child seats.

I'm going to have to get one of those child seats for my 9-year-old! That's amazing! /s

Did they mention if the two adults whose lives were also saved were in child seats as well?

NY Times - this evening:
Father Deliberately Drove Car Off Cliff, Authorities Say After Dramatic Rescue

Excerpt:

Dharmesh A. Patel was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and child abuse after his Tesla careened off a treacherous cliff in Northern California with him, his wife and two children inside, the authorities said.

The rescue was described as almost miraculous. A family of four whose car had careened off a treacherous cliff-top road in Northern California, plummeted more than 250 feet and trapped them on Monday managed to survive and avoid life-threatening injuries.

But now, the authorities say their car’s dramatic drop wasn’t an accident, but an “intentional act,” and that the father could face charges...
Could face charges? If it was indeed an intentional act, he MUST face charges. I would think the authorities have some pretty convincing evidence (like testimony from the wife) to make that assertion.

Yeah, #2. They could be polished lead in the shape of the Tesla logo. After the owner unbolts them, they could be hung in the garage (or put up for sale on eBay).
If you are going to do that it should be the 30X steel they are going to make the cybertruck with. Or at least a cheap steel made to look like cybertruck steel.

Last edited:
Or they could just add the third row seats to all cars, and give buyers the option to have them removed after delivery (and if removed, give the buyer a $3000 check). The Y was designed to have the rear seats removed, so this seems like the best solution.

Everyone who wants a 5 seat MY could then just buy the 7 seat Model Y, get the credit, and have the seats removed upon delivery. Adds some work, but not something a service/delivery center can't handle. Seats can then be shipped back to Tesla for use in another 7 (ahem 5) seater.

I know it seems stupid, but this would also get around the dumb IRS guidelines.

I can't believe the number of people that keep saying "just put a 3rd row in and then take it out"

The website says changing it to 7 seats affects these things.
  1. Third row seating for two
  2. Easy Entry into third row
  3. Third row USB-C charging
  4. Sliding second row with adjustable seatbacks
  5. Fold-flat second and third rows for maximum cargo storage
  6. Electronic fold-flat releases in trunk
So you "pull the 3rd row out" and leave behind wire harnesses for USB, wire harness and motors/latches for the fold flat feature, and more expensive 2nd row seating?

It's not just a 3rd row, it's a 3rd row and the car got redesigned around that 3rd row being there.

Last edited:
Looks like Amazon is borrowing some emergency funds sensing trouble.. while this is not confidence inspiring for macro, glad Tesla is far removed from that.

Overall though, not a great look.

Just Numberwang at the moment. 😀

Haha, yeah. Speaking of which, anybody here have an account where you can make this request?

ChatGPT: Retell the story of the Three Bears, with "The Tesla Economist" as the baby bear.​

Yeah, you're gonna be okay if you can hold long and strong. Nibble if you got cash you don't need for a few years, else hold'em if you can. GLTA!

Cheers to the Longs!

Serious question on Tesla energy: why sell Megapacks when you are entering the energy market as a provider?

In Europe we are already having many days with low or even negative electricity prices as a result of abundant wind and solar production.

Hornsdale power reserve payed for itself in two years on the buy low-sell high principle.

There is no way in hell that the Chinese competition is getting this kind of strategic acces to the energy grid in the free world.

I say go ahead and disrupt this market 😉