Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small sample of just 4 countries (Germany alone had that many registrations in just Oct-Nov), but nice to see them up about 40% over Q4 2021!

View attachment 890517

Keep in mind that there is not daily data for Sweden prior to 2022, so that view only includes data for 3 countries for Q3 2021.

Growth in those 4 countries is a bit less than 20% YoY

1672435697647.png

Not downhill, but does beg the question of why add end of your discounts for S and X when that wasn’t necessary in previous quarters?
My guess is an attempt to rescue the stock price as this is the most painful draw down in Tesla's history. Many bulls are yelling at Elon for not doing anything. So they are going all out to meet or even break guidance, and with low inventory on hand FCF numbers will be more beautiful than having inventory on hand.

My guess is an attempt to rescue the stock price as this is the most painful draw down in Tesla's history. Many bulls are yelling at Elon for not doing anything. So they are going all out to meet or even break guidance, and with low inventory on hand FCF numbers will be more beautiful than having inventory on hand.
Ahh. This makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not much you can't do with your voice in a Tesla these days and it is the only way to turn on/off the heated steering wheel/seats w/o turning on the HVAC. Which is super useful.
The other way is to use the icons on the touch screen. I’ve put mine on the bottom bat like they were prior to the last UI change.
IIRC they’re hidden in the menu of icons, can’t remember how to get them to show, bit once you do, you can put them on the bottom of the screen just like any other icon.
I too prefer to not interrupt my audio experience with issuing voice commands.

I was assuming that the prices of S/X were going to be lowered more permanently due to commodity price pressure easing.

When the IRA kicks in they’ll be getting some of that sweet government cheese; even if the consumer doesn’t see a tax credit, the battery manufacturer would!

Keep in mind that there is not daily data for Sweden prior to 2022, so that view only includes data for 3 countries for Q3 2021.

Indeed, but note that the previous record of 10K in that graph is for Q1 2022, a quarter that includes data for Sweden, and we’re now at 14K. So up 40% in 6 months.

Edit: it’s not an all-time record because of absolute massive amount of 25K Tesla sales in The Netherlands in the second half of 2019, caused by the imminent end of a very favourable tax regime for EV’s in The Netherlands.

Last edited:
That is a very “Glass is half Full” way to put it.

Musk is clearly pushing hard at the end of this quarter to burn the shorts.

Not just a little, he wants Maximum Scorch.

That is at least… the Glass is half burned down viewpoint.

Today I purchased 17 more shares of Tesla at a cost of $119.11 per share. In the past few weeks, I have had doubts about my investment in Tesla due to the drop in stock price. However, my cost-basis per share is low since I purchased my shares during the Model 3 ramp in 2018, when Tesla was valued at around $30 billion. As a result, I am still up several hundred percent on my initial investment, but I did lose a significant amount of paper money in the crash. Looking back, if I had sold at the peak, that "paper" money could have been life-changing and it has been weighing on me.

I took some time to reflect on what happened and my own knowledge and realized that despite holding Tesla for 5 years and reading this forum regularly, I have very little understanding of finance, investing and market cycles. To remedy this, I purchased and read a book on investing by Peter Lynch (One Up on Wall Street) over the weekend. Last night, I decided to put some of the principles from the book into practice by printing out the Shareholder Deck from Tesla's website.

I spent several hours reviewing Tesla's financials and created my own spreadsheet with all the basic data (statement of operations, balance sheet, operational summary, Tesla's guidance, etc.) and some graphs, just like all the YouTubers do. It was eye-opening for me to type out the numbers in my own tables and see the company's history. Of course, I was already familiar with some of the information, but going through every row and column in the financial statement and figuring out what the terms mean was a great learning experience for me. It showed me where Tesla came from and gave me some clues about what the future might hold.

I encourage anyone who is stressed out about the share price to do what I did and take a closer look at Tesla's financials to see for themselves how efficient the company is. Tesla has growing revenues, industry-leading margins, very little debt, and a significant amount of cash on hand. It might take some time but eventually the share price will reflect the company's fundamentals again. As a fun exercise, I also compared Tesla's financials to those of Volkswagen and Toyota and was struck by the differences. It helps to put things in perspective!

Are you me? I got in on TSLA around the same time, lost life-changing paper money, and also bought the same book recently lol!!!

Not downhill, but does beg the question of why add end of your discounts for S and X when that wasn’t necessary in previous quarters?
I think they are trying to provide a bridge so people that buy today are not mad in the new year.

Best I can tell reading the law the S, X and 3, Y will get the credit regardless of the price if they are leased. It would go to the leasing company and be applied to the payments of the lease.

Here is one article that references the loophole for expensive cars. I think we can stop talking about seats, sandbags and air suspensions for the Y.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote from this article.

According to the Treasury Department, a "qualified commercial clean vehicle" is a vehicle made by a qualified maker, acquired for use or lease by a taxpayer and is "propelled to a significant extent" by an electric motor powered by a battery. Any leased EV that falls satisfies the broad requirements and is less than 14,000 pounds would be eligible for the $7,500 credit.

The interpretation of the definition of commercial vehicles allows consumers to sidestep the far more stringent requirements implemented by the IRA that EVs must meet to be eligible for the credit if purchased. To be eligible under the new law, purchased EVs must have undergone final assembly in North America; cost less than $55,000 or $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles (SUV) and pickup trucks; and be purchased by an individual with an annual income of less than $150,000 or a family with an annual income of $300,000.

For example, the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid SUV — the starting price of which is about $167,000, according to Car and Driver — is eligible for a $7,500 commercial clean vehicles credit if leased under the Treasury Department's guidance.

Last edited:

Growth in those 4 countries is a bit less than 20% YoY

View attachment 890522

Missed that, thanks.
But now I am confused - your plot has all four countries also!

I redid mine without Sweden:
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 23.28.29.png

Q4 23/Q4 22 = 11,940/9,228 = 1.29, so 29% up with a day missing this Q.

Safe to assume it will weigh more than 6k?
It had better because I’m taking advantage of that Hummer loophole. Sadly it’s only 80% depreciation in 2023 but that’s still awesome.

That law helped push huge gas guzzlers. Only fitting that it might help some get into nice clean CTs.

Electricity prices in Berlin, and it's implications for not just Tesla, but potentially for inflation forecasts etc., driven by energy prices.

This will only last for a couple of days because the following factors occurring at the same time:
- record new year temperatures all over western europe: 17 degrees Celsius in Brussels, bikini weather on the mediterranean coasts.
- lots of wind, close to stormy weather on the North Sea, so many gigawatts of wind power
- many businesses closed for holidays
- the lowest natural gas price in almost a year.

Only the last factor will remain important. The gas price ended 2022 at 72 euro/MWh. Only a couple of weeks in january 2022 were cheaper. This will be the biggest deflationary factor.

Gas will hopefully not get as expensive as in 2022 anymore because of more LNG capacity showing up, the latest one in Finland: Finland opens floating LNG terminal to replace Russian gas

• Informative
Reactions: Stormy24 and hobbes