Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Elon liked this thread, which maybe a nothing burger, but just agreeing that wallstreet is being brutal to Tesla by moving the goal post despite the over performance.

Larry's thread basically explains that Tesla's guide is 50% yoy compounded growth. However in years they over performed like last year, people are expecting Tesla to grow 50% over their overperformance for the year after.

2020->500k guide but hit 499k
2021->750k guide (but actually hit 936k)
2022->1125k guide (but now people are expecting 50% growth over 936k).

Now to be clear, Zach did express that hitting 50% growth will be difficult due to China shutdown, so obviously he didn't mean hitting 1125k, but 50% over 936k. However I guess Larry has a point that people lost track what Tesla's performance should be because they have been over performing so hard.

I hope they go cutthroat and cut prices to absolutely annihilate the competition in the US. It's time they pay for dragging their feet and spreading lies for so long.
They need to be able to produce enough vehicles to do this. No point slashing prices to annihilate anyone when all you do is add to your waiting list.

How about they step down prices to keep wait lists at around 1-3 weeks instead?

They need to be able to produce enough vehicles to do this. No point slashing prices to annihilate anyone when all you do is add to your waiting list.

How about they step down prices to keep wait lists at around 1-3 weeks instead?
Yes, of course. What the heck did you think I meant?

Although, decreasing their prices to the point that their backlog fills up and nukes the sales of the competition would also be super funny and cool.

Reactions: Electroman
OT personal note: After exiting my TSLA position a bit ago (selling my last blocks of shares about 7 weeks ago) for various reasons, I began to buy back in, picking up 20k today to begin rebuilding TSLA's place in my portfolio. Tesla (the company) is obviously in good shape with a bright future ahead of it, albeit with a few major risks to keep an eye on. TSLA as an investment still has far too wide a range of outcomes for me to generally consider investing in it, but frankly, at this point I may be looking more at wanting voting shares than wanting investment $ return, although both would be nice. Here's looking forward to the P&D report and earnings call, and most especially the annual meeting in just a few short months.

Tom Zhu interview for those wanting to get to know more about him. This was a multipart interview and has english subtitles available.

Quite interesting because Tom's daily work itinerary, relationship with Elon, Tesla China relations, and Tesla China operations and culture are covered in the series.
It's a year+ old but worth watching again. The English subtitles are high quality translation and accurate. Tom Zhu, in this video, is another person to add to the list who calls out how smart Elon is: "Extremely forward thinking...smartest in the world..."

Edit: Fuqua interview with Tom Zhu worth revisiting: Fuqua interview

Last edited:
OT personal note: After exiting my TSLA position a bit ago (selling my last blocks of shares about 7 weeks ago) for various reasons, I began to buy back in, picking up 20k today to begin rebuilding TSLA's place in my portfolio. Tesla (the company) is obviously in good shape with a bright future ahead of it, albeit with a few major risks to keep an eye on. TSLA as an investment still has far too wide a range of outcomes for me to generally consider investing in it, but frankly, at this point I may be looking more at wanting voting shares than wanting investment $ return, although both would be nice. Here's looking forward to the P&D report and earnings call, and most especially the annual meeting in just a few short months.
Welcome back.

Stay a while!

A new Twitter CEO, and 9 other things Elon Musk should do to revive Tesla investors’ faith in stock, according to an analyst​

(Dan Ives)

Priority No. 1? “Name a CEO of Twitter by the end of January.”

Priority No. 2, Ives said, was: “Stop selling stock and no more boy that cried wolf or Pinocchio situation.”

Priority No. 3 involves cutting back on Musk’s typically aggressive growth forecasts for Tesla. “Lay out conservative 2023 delivery and targets given the darker macro,” he wrote. “The 50% growth target is not happening in our opinion, with 35%+ delivery growth a more hittable and realistic goal for 2023.”

No. 4 on that list called for greater attention on Tesla, rather than Twitter

No. 5 called for announcing Cybertruck deliveries will begin by the end of next year, amid concerns about competition and production

No. 6 called for changes to Tesla’s board to add more people with experience in tech and electric vehicles.

No. 7: A big share buyback.

No. 8: More financial metrics and “transparency” around margins.

Amazingly, the number in the headlines does not match what he number in the article.

Edit: rearranged link to make sure people didn’t think these were my opinions.
There's some overlap between that list and what I'd like to see for Tesla / TSLA in 2023. Walking thru his list:

1. Agreed with the caveat that while virtually any unnamed new CEO could be good, a few names could certainly be even more detrimental than Mr. Musk retaining that role.

2. Hopefully this is already a "done deal" and we shall see no such forms for 2023 as per Mr. Musk's verbal statement recently. This and #5 are the two I give the greatest likelihood of occurring.

3. I am personally very OK with Tesla's evolution over the past year, from being very certain of > 50% growth in 2022 12 months ago to progressively more cautious language around the annual 50% goal as each quarter went from forecast to actuals. Tesla (and perhaps all of us) *should* set very aggressive goals and strive to achieve them, even if we know we may fall short. I would like to see Tesla maintain its aspirational goal of 50% while being a bit more open that 40% - 45% is more realistic under current circumstances and *still* quite incredible growth.

4. This would be best-case scenario, but barring that, perhaps handing over the CEO title. No shortage of qualified top talent within Tesla already, although the one name most recently discussed would be quite problematic IMHO.

5. This is already a done deal, but yes, more discussion of timing, etc for it would be very appreciated and welcomed by the market and those of us who have reservations. This and #2 are the two I give the greatest likelihood of coming true.

6. I would actually be a fan of expanding the board, if for no other reason than to increase the % of truly independent directors. They need not have deep experience in either tech or EVs, as those are already Tesla strengths; rather, new independent directors should bring strengths to support areas Tesla is less strong in already.

7. Tesla should definitely begin a buyback program, but it doesn't need to be a major one. Minimum should be the greater of A) total new share options granted each quarter or B) total share options exercised each quarter. Maximum should be the lesser of C) net revenue for each quarter or D) net free cash flow each quarter. I'll leave it to the board / executive management to decide where between those min / max points would be most optimal each quarter.

8. Additional transparency in corporate governance and accounting is always welcomed. In particular, clarity around Tesla's Chinese subsidiary's financials, current balance sheet (separate from overall corporate balance sheet), and whether the lease for the factory land includes any restrictions on repatriating the profits outside China (yes, a great deal can be indirectly repatriated via paying suppliers in China from these profits and shipping the purchased goods to the factories in the US or Europe, but a clear picture of this would remove some concern).

More interestingly IMHO - what other ideas do we collectively have here as to what Mr. Musk or Tesla could to revive investor confidence in TSLA (beyond those here who never lose faith to need revived)? Certainly the board and executive leadership have access to a great deal of information that we outside the company do not possess, but presumably we have some ideas (or at least asks for information for us to develop ideas so we can trust Tesla has it under control confidently rather than blindly). Thoughts everyone?

Last edited:
A Modest Proposal:

This is the time of year when we evaluate past performance, and look forward to the coming year. I propose it's time to make a fundamental change in the way we rate CEO Proformance: by their golf game.

Teeing off is not just a metaphor for business, it's a lifestyle for serial entrepreneurs. What's really important, Production planning, or choosing the right fairway wood? Deliveries, or ironing out issues with the short game? How is it any different? Instead of dissecting tweets, we should be counting birdies. It's all about making the green, amirite?

To close this round, those of you who still think having a distracted CEO means the business can't be doing well, I remind you of The Point of Golf:

The Point of Golf.jpg

Having a CEO with time to pursue his hobbies is the sign of a thriving business.

Cheers to the Long (Irons)! :D

Last edited:
More interestingly IMHO - what other ideas do we collectively have here as to what Mr. Musk or Tesla could to revive investor confidence in TSLA (beyond those here who never lose faith to need revived)?
Mostly execution and growth :-
  • Doing a good job of all product ramps.
  • Introducing new products.
  • Continuing to gain market share in automotive and energy.
  • Good progress on FSD.
  • New factories, including energy storage battery factories.
Continuing to add to the pile of cash when possible during a recession. paying a dividend or doing a share buyback once they are certain any risk of a recession has definitely passed.

I don't mind increasing the size of the board and/or adding more diversity,

For the CEO role, I expect Elon to make the final call, and he may be willing to step back into a lower profile.

Elon is absolutely necessary for new product development/product improvement, and the more time he can spend working on that the better.

If there is a recession, I rate earnings in a recession way higher than earnings at any other time. So all I want is profit and continuing to grow the cash pile, rather than a loss and eating into the pile of cash. That profit and cash improvement can be very small.

When Tesla opens up their network in the US, it will be absolutely inundated by non-Tesla EVs.

Well, I don't see how Tesla Superchargers can be "inundated" with EVs from other brands. Tesla built ~two-thirds of all the EVs ever sold in N. America. And many of those other 'city-cars' never venture far enough from home to need a fast charge on a road trip.

What it will do however, as this video clearly shows, is provide free advertising for Tesla cars as happy, content Tesla owners explain the benefits of owning the best EV there is. ;)

Cheers!

Holy crap! JHC! This is a disaster on an epic scale. "Tesla is the Gold Standard”. Other than that, a complete cluster. I don’t see how the Government approach of throwing money at the problem is going to help. When Tesla opens up their network in the US, it will be absolutely inundated by non-Tesla EVs.

I hope Tesla has found a way to monetize this.
I thought they were going to roll out new chargers with CCS adaptors. Then we’d only have to deal with it at the CCS equipped charging stations.

I’d thought the other charging networks were catching up, but it just took a little demand and a small curveball and it all fell apart.

More interestingly IMHO - what other ideas do we collectively have here as to what Mr. Musk or Tesla could to revive investor confidence in TSLA (beyond those here who never lose faith to need revived)?
I think we gotta take a hard look at what’s impacted Tesla‘s stock price the most and address those things more or less in order of impact.

1) Musk needs to figure out a way to stop the Chinese government from doing COVID (or other disease shutdowns).
2) Elon needs to brush up on his welding skills so he can build more cargo ships so at the end of the quarter we don’t have thousands of cars in transit.
3) He needs to move to a planet where people don’t invade their neighboring countries and destabilize the energy economy. Musk is working on this. Seems like it’s taking a few years.
4) The Fed… Musk needs to take over the fed so he can control interest rates. Though if he executes well on item #3, this step might not be needed.
5) Musk needs to replace all of the shill media organizations that publish news influenced by their advertisers and billionaire owners. He’s already working on this with Twitter.
6) Eliminate some politicians and “interested parties” who have slowed down factory ramps. Berlin would be a good start.

Aside from this, Tesla is executing well. Musk should get on these issues.