Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have zero interest in FSD until it legally can do the things you mentioned. I'm fine with built in autopilot for road trips.

So for people like me, the question is whether to buy it now, or wait until all those things are possible but by then it costs $20-25K or more.

If FSD costs $25k, then a bare bones Model 3 RWD with FSD would cost $71k vs $63k for a M3 performance.

99/100 potential buyers (including me) would take the cheaper $63k M3P.

Last edited:
The expectation that FSD should transfer indefinitely is unrealistic and inconsistent with the way software is sold. Software is not a physical thing which is complete and then free forever. The idea that you can buy it and get free updates forever transferring it from car to car doesn't work.

Agreed.

I was thinking more along the lines of it including one or two transfers when the vehicle is traded on a new Tesla vehicle.

Perhaps an X-number-of-years transferable license for a flat fee could be an alternative.

Raising FSD pricing could be just as much about the IRAct. Shifting as much cost around to things that can technically be considered post-delivery.

Funny we've had this bill passed for 5 days and the final language in front of us for weeks.....still no clarity of which EVs (and consumers) actually apply.

I feel like a lot of us are having to look closer at the sausage-making involved in running a 300+ million person country now that it affects something we know and care a lot about. I include myself in this group.
From what I have read, we aren't really supposed to know the specifics of what vehicles apply to it yet. Perhaps that sort of thing in general is way too specific for Congress to tackle. Instead, they set more broad goals like 'increasing amount of domestically sourced minerals over the next 10 years', and let the relevant Agency (like Department of Transportation, Energy, or Treasury) apply those policy goals in the bill to the actual society / marketplace as it currently exists, and in which they are much more connected day to day than Congress: the assumption being that the relevant agency can hack through the details - many of which have come up in this forum, (i.e. what is or is not an SUV? what is included in 'minerals'? by weight or by cost? etc.)

I am starting to see that this process of going from broad legislative strokes to specific rules (i.e. rules that WOULD decide if a Model Y is an SUV, plus all those other questions) is the thing called "rulemaking" - the making of "rules" a.k.a. "regulations" and the process of rulemaking is described by law (summary links below).

But I get the overall idea: Congress in general is trying not to make super-specific pronouncements on some of these things (when it does do that, we tend to call it 'pork' ;)) and instead just set the direction, then let the agencies hash it out closer to ground level.

Some descriptions of the detailed, multi-step rulemaking process (and btw it does involve public comment ... let's keep our eyes open for those opportunities):

Regulations generally start with an act of Congress, and are the means by which statutes are implemented and specific requirements are established

I have zero interest in FSD until it legally can do the things you mentioned. I'm fine with built in autopilot for road trips.

So for people like me, the question is whether to buy it now, or wait until all those things are possible but by then it costs $20-25K or more.
That all depends on how much faith you have that FSD will be solved. If you trust Elon and think FSD will be solved soon and you think a functional FSD is worth you while than jump on it now. Else you will regret having to pay so much more.

I think the fact that Elon is increasing the prices continuously is a clear sign that he has ultimate faith that a functional FSD is happening very soon.

That all depends on how much faith you have that FSD will be solved. If you trust Elon and think FSD will be solved soon and you think a functional FSD is worth you while than jump on it now. Else you will regret having to pay so much more.

I think the fact that Elon is increasing the prices continuously is a clear sign that he has ultimate faith that a functional FSD is happening very soon.
I'm curious to try the new version. FSD in my Model S is nowhere near autonomous. It can't even handle construction on a highway I've been driving regularly, where cones push all the cars onto the shoulder for a couple miles. It freaks out and would hit the cones 100% of the time.

I guarantee $25k is past the point of maximum revenue generation.

I do think it should be pushed to subscription.
A car with Robotaxi is worth $25k more than one without. Many people won't need a car with Robotaxi and that's ok too.

Maybe Tesla should think about adding a tier above "FSD"?

Or perhaps adding some features to EAP makes more sense.

A little bit of thinking on FSD value proposition...

First, it's worth considering that for a lot of people, it comes with a HW3 upgrade (and a chance of future upgrades, if they're deemed necessary for FSD). And second, Tesla has started valuing it at 50% for trade-ins. So for a lot of people, it only needs to demonstrate (X * 0.5) -1000 in additional value. Or $5,000 for the current $12,000 price, and $6,500 for the $15,000 price.

And even if you ignore both of the above, consider that almost every other automaker has an autonomy program (e.g. Ford has Argo, GM has Cruise, etc), but none of them are even entertaining the possibility of letting customers own autonomous vehicles. The value of owning their own fleets of autonomous vehicles is way too great for them to even give a small piece of that away. So even if the probability of Tesla achieving L4 or greater is small, the future value is definitely large enough to make the current expected value greater than the opportunity cost of purchasing it.

I would be right there with you on this, if, and only if, they sold FSD as a transferable license that could be moved from car to car. Rather than making "owning" it part of a particular VIN.

It seems to me that whatever the subscription price settles at will be fair market value. It will be a constant and not dependent upon keeping the same car for longer than you might otherwise because "it has FSD included" and I paid a LOT for it. I'm all for early-adopters helping fund development and participating in the Beta program. It is amazing watching this unfold and I am grateful for everyone who contributes. But, I've got some German blood that simply wouldn't let me ever opt in on the purchase option and be able to sleep well at night after having done so. The long-term value isn't there, for me, in the purchase option.

The subscription model will hopefully be refined to eventually become a tiered rate that is based more upon usage rather than a flat monthly hit for everyone. This would better fit a wide cross-section of driving styles spanning from once a week to the grocer, to those who commute 300 miles daily to work.
Your point is valid in particular those who, for lots of reasons I do and do not understand, want to get a ‘new’ car every 83 days/weeks.

This is not something I’ve ever done nor am likely to do. I come from very old school tradition and thinking that does not allow me to do anything but quite literally drive my vehicle into the ground before acquiring a most likely new-used one. There are a number of reasons for that mentality, not least of all the depreciating asset logic - which is now being turned on its head, thank you, Elon, for making all those laughing, pointing fools look like, well, fools.

Secondarily, I suspect (strongly) that in the not too distant future how vehicle ownership is viewed will take a radical left turn - in which case all will make sense to your German blood.

I’ll remind people, again, not to get too caught up in what has been and assume that moving into the future looks the same. It will not.

Last edited:
A little bit of thinking on FSD value proposition...

First, it's worth considering that for a lot of people, it comes with a HW3 upgrade (and a chance of future upgrades, if they're deemed necessary for FSD). And second, Tesla has started valuing it at 50% for trade-ins. So for a lot of people, it only needs to demonstrate (X * 0.5) -1000 in additional value. Or $5,000 for the current $12,000 price, and $6,500 for the $15,000 price.

And even if you ignore both of the above, consider that almost every other automaker has an autonomy program (e.g. Ford has Argo, GM has Cruise, etc), but none of them are even entertaining the possibility of letting customers own autonomous vehicles. The value of owning their own fleets of autonomous vehicles is way too great for them to even give a small piece of that away. So even if the probability of Tesla achieving L4 or greater is small, the future value is definitely large enough to make the current expected value greater than the opportunity cost of purchasing it.
What this really truly hinges on is whether or not you believe FSD Beta in consumer vehicles will ever be more than Level 2 ADAS requiring driver supervision at all times. In trying to determine that, you need to form an opinion on whether it's even possible with the current hardware + camera setup, whether it will be granted regulatory approval, and whether Tesla will take on the risk required to certify these consumer vehicles as Level 3+.

Taking shots at Ford's and GM's offshoots is all well and good until we remember that Tesla is also planning a dedicated Robotaxi vehicle and we have no idea what that looks like, whether it will come with a more robust sensor suite, and whether it will be available to consumers or at what price. But the last update we received, during the Q1 earnings call, was that a new Robotaxi model with no steering wheel or pedals was slated for volume production in 2024.

If you believe that FSD in consumer vehicles will remain Level 2 and that the upcoming Robotaxi model will possibly become part of a Tesla-owned fleet and not necessarily available to consumers, there are suddenly many more parallels when comparing to what other companies are doing.

Reactions: Xepa777
How can you increase the price to $15k, when people who paid for it more than a year ago still can't get it?
Same way they increased it in January. 😂

I think there is a very good chance we get the full release to anybody who has paid for it soon (by that I mean by December), but I doubt it will be 10.69.2 at release. The earliest I could see is a couple weeks after 10.69.2 releases to all beta participants. I have some doubts that early, but the early videos on 10.69 look very good.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Well when the price goes up everyone that wants the beta gets the beta. (Exception for people that still need the camera upgrade.)
Not quite everyone, all I get above EAP is stopping for red lights and a chime telling me to manually start again when they go green!

I think it will be a (not so) minor miracle if FSD can ever function properly over here on some of our insanely antiquated narrow roads and roundabouts anyway.

Reactions: Hbrink
It is only a demand driver for well informed buyers. The percentage of car buyers that is well informed about FSD is fairly low and there is a significant FUD campaign ongoing to keep it that way or push it even lower. With the release of the new version you can expect the FUD to be dialed up further, even beyond 11.

If you think Dan O'Clown videos were ugly attacks, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
“If” crash free driving works out (proof means time for convincing data), the “F” in FUD is fear and fear reverses roles.

When someone in one’s social circle has a spouse or child injured in an accident, the mind wanders if that could have been avoided if they were in a Tesla. Fear is a great informer.

I know people today who buy vehicles by weight just because heavier means safer in an accident.

The interesting question is how ride services would tier pricing for rides in Teslas?

I think data will have a lot of influence as to how this all falls out, of course. But when it does - Boom. Is a Tesla safer than a school bus?

If the data supports extremely low incidence of crashes along with a slew of cost in use savings (by mile, insurance and maintenance) then how do you put your loved ones in any other car. Good luck Volvo!

The best accident mitigation is no accident. If the data supports it, then Andy Groves inflection point has arrived.

Thanks for your comments, lots of thinking is called for on these eventualities🙂

My big problem with paying for it now is I’m not even sure I’ll own this car by the time the feature matures.
That is the crux of the problem. I have a 2018 Model 3 with FSD and I am not even in the beta program.
The car is 4 years old and it is unclear whether it will have officially released (non-beta) FSD before its old enough to be replaced.

That is the crux of the problem. I have a 2018 Model 3 with FSD and I am not even in the beta program.
The car is 4 years old and it is unclear whether it will have officially released (non-beta) FSD before its old enough to be replaced.
I'm in this situation except I don't have FSD purchased (EAP here). I might at somepoint go to the subscription and pay the 1000 to replace the computer... but this car goes away when my Cybertruck comes in. So hopefully less than 2 years.