Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can he choose when the form 4s drop?

If so, releasing them all today (instead of waiting longer to reveal this week’s sales) could suggest he’s done.
He can't choose when the forms 4 drop. In fact I think his Friday sale form is actually kind of late. So it seems he did CHOOSE when it drops...probably needs to pay a penalty for the late form from Friday. Does suggest this is intentional.

I don't think that's actually true about his window for selling.

And regardless, to dump shares the day after the shareholders meeting is incredibly bad optics and in very poor taste. Even doing on Monday is better than doing in the very day after the shareholders meeting.
So I guess this stands: incredibly bad optics and in very poor taste.

Re: Elon's second round of sales (in trilogy) - I'm gonna call this 'A New Hope' starting tomorrow and imagine we're about to start episode 4 at this point. I guess I would only be mad if I had a short term outlook which was partially sideswiped by the sale, (ok, I do) but there are 8 more trading days until the decision about how to generate a lot of $$$ hits for me. Could go up or down 25% in that time, what could possibly go wrong...

He does love to sell when the SP looks like it is about to run away. Can’t say I am surprised. Many people here saw the action and suspected.

How else do you kill a rally after a subsidy bill basically written for the company (certainly in contrast to the other players) passes and a three for one stock split is on the horizon?

Damn we would have been at 1000 easy.

Love ya Elon! Make sure this money does not go to waste with your TWTR adventure!

Come on, give us a kiss tomorrow and say you have enough money… for now 😂

how much tsla did he sell last time? was it ~10b?
and now another ~7?

he sold 17b (edit - may be in fact around 15b) worth of tesla to buy twitter?
of course it appears ultra stupid right now but we generally know better.

all i know is he must have some hell of a plan for it in order to sell away that much tsla… especially if they grow 50% per year foreseeably

i can’t imagine how twitter can top that nor can i imagine what he’s got planned if it’s not $ but the strategic angle

i mean jack could have attempted to marry square and twitter and didn’t, so what else is em planning?

(unless maybe elon is just evil and will be the real life baddest bond villain of all time - fate loves irony)

Last edited:
I just learned Elon sold more TSLA shares.
I just learned today in the middle of my clinic from the oncologist calling on my cellphone that my 48 year old brother had terminal metastatic stage IV rectal cancer and he got admitted to the ICU today for terminal kidney failure due to cholangitis from liver metastasis and just watched him pass away at 9PM tonight. I was supporting him for the last 3 months through his cycles of chemo and radiation therapy, he had no metastatic and everything failed, they supposedly never saw an aggressive cancer like this, ever.
All this while I have been on call 24/7 for the 25th consecutive straight day on a total of 28 while one of my patient passed away during his hemodialysis treatment after his shoulder surgery.
The CPI numbers better be frigging good because everything is turning into a big pile of steaming crap lately.

Next time you think you are having a bad day, please get in line for the silver medal on the podium of the worst day ever.

Last edited:
He can't choose when the forms 4 drop. In fact I think his Friday sale form is actually kind of late. So it seems he did CHOOSE when it drops...probably needs to pay a penalty for the late form from Friday. Does suggest this is intentional.
How is it late? You have the following two business days after the transaction to file. So the form 4s for Friday sales were due tonight. And they were filed tonight.

how much tsla did he sell last time? was it ~10b?
and now another ~7?

he sold 17b worth of tesla to buy twitter?
of course it appears ultra stupid right now but we generally know better.

all i know is he must have some hell of a plan for it in order to sell away that much tsla… especially if they grow 50% per year foreseeably

i can’t imagine how twitter can top that nor can i imagine what he’s got planned if it’s not $ but the strategic angle

i mean jack could have attempted to marry square and twitter and didn’t, so what else is em planning?

(unless maybe elon is just evil and will be the real life baddest bond villain of all time)
It’s a social media platform. He leveraged Tesla for a social media platform. I think it’s okay to carry two contradictory thoughts in your head at the same time: Musk is a genius and a jerk.

I just learned Elon sold more TSLA shares.
I just learned today in the middle of my clinic from the oncologist calling on my cellphone that my 48 year old brother had terminal metastatic stage IV rectal cancer and he got admitted to the ICU today for terminal kidney failure due to cholangitis from liver metastasis and just watched him pass away at 9PM tonight. I was supporting him for the last 3 months through his cycles of chemo and radiation therapy, he had no metastatic and everything failed, they supposedly never saw an aggressive cancer like this, ever.
All this while I have been on call 24/7 for the 25th consecutive straight day on a total of 28 while one of my patient passed away during his hemodialysis treatment after his shoulder surgery.
The CPI numbers better be frigging good because everything is turning into a big pile of steaming crap lately.

Next time you think you are having a bad day, please get in line for the silver medal on the podium of the worst day ever.

That's awful. Sorry for your loss. Certainly does put things in perspective.

Elon thinks Twitter is a better place for his money than Tesla. Twitter.
Probably because he thinks buying Twitter can accelerate X.com by around 5 years.

And it may not be just money, more about what he wants to achieve, and what problems he is focused on solving.

Whether or not things go to plan, is something we will only ever be able to judge in hindsight.

He is spreading his time out over more and more ventures, that may be a bit less time spent on Tesla.

But it is his money, he can spend it however he wants to.

Hey - Last year, I sold some of my TSLA stock and bought a motorcycle. Did I think the motorcycle was a better investment than TSLA shares? No I didn't; but I wanted that motorcycle. Live Life! What did I do to earn that motorcycle? . . .I sat on my ass and invested in Tesla and let Elon and others do the heavy lifting.

Elon wants Twitter; he's earned it. Go get it. Live Life!

Last edited:
Probably because he thinks buying Twitter can accelerate X.com by around 5 years.
He could have started his own social media app for far less and been well on his way months ago.
But it is his money, he can spend it however he wants to.
And we can point out the poor optics of the CEO selling shares.