Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A leading indicator of a rally is when money starts entering the growth side. Both Nasdaq and Russell 2000 are having solid days (so far) while the SP500 is lagging. So yeah, growth is getting some support.
After Arkk's performance yesterday, I was pretty convinced the bottom is in for speculators stocks which means recovery is happening. Look at Arkk go today!

My parents are pretty conservative... They're also putting up a 15kW solar array this summer. The prospect of never buying gas again and being totally energy self reliant is a rural conservatives dream. My favorite line in regard to solar & EVs is "It's just like having your own oil well and refinery in your backyard".
I need to look at rooftop solar more seriously now. I retired recently and made the move to TN, where we get enough sun to likely make it cost effective. I previously lived in N. Idaho for nearly 30 years, where our daylight hours in the winter, combined with snow cover, made it less practical. Thing is, I've hit up a few of the solar companies that advertise via FB-they come across as pretty clueless scammers. Need to look for more reputable sources. I don't think Tesla's solar roof is available in my state yet.

After Arkk's performance yesterday, I was pretty convinced the bottom is in for speculators stocks which means recovery is happening. Look at Arkk go today!
I'm down 65% with both ARKK and ARKG. Would like to sell and put it all in TSLA, but really don't want to lock in those losses! I'm hoping that once the recession ends, they bounce back as fast as they dumped.

I need to look at rooftop solar more seriously now. I retired recently and made the move to TN, where we get enough sun to likely make it cost effective. I previously lived in N. Idaho for nearly 30 years, where our daylight hours in the winter, combined with snow cover, made it less practical. Thing is, I've hit up a few of the solar companies that advertise via FB-they come across as pretty clueless scammers. Need to look for more reputable sources. I don't think Tesla's solar roof is available in my state yet.
Most "solar installers" on Facebook are purely marketing firms. They'll propose the job and sign the contract THEN go find an installer.

The entire marketplace is a hot mess. Tesla may very well do standard panel installs(not solar roof) in your area. Throw your address in in the Tesla site and it'll tell you what's up.

Snow and low winter production go hand-in-hand nicely. However, you need to bank summer over-production through net metering. Batteries aren't cost effective yet for seasonal shifting.

Why would anybody go for lower range and acceleration?
* As we know, 279 miles of EPA range ended up being perfectly acceptable... the original Model S had 265. Superchargers are a lot more dense than they were in 2012/13 🤣
* you get a car right now, and you can sell it very easily later if you want w/ very high resale value
* better handling
* better NVH
* shorter DC charging times - more time spent at 250kW (and can accept higher when beefier Supercharger 4.0 is introduced)
* less battery degradation - maintains range at higher odometer readings
* charge to 100% vs. 90% recommended (this is important considering 279 range)
* the car is slightly cheaper to buy!

* shorter charging times - more time spent at 250kW (or more later)
Has all this been confirmed with the new cells?

I know much of it is planned, but I didn’t think anyone had actually confirmed most of it and Tesla said many of the benefits of the new cell hadn’t been realized yet.

* As we know, 279 miles of EPA range ended up being perfectly acceptable... the original Model S had 265. Superchargers are a lot more dense than they were in 2012/13 🤣
* you get a car right now, and you can sell it very easily later if you want w/ very high resale value
* better handling
* better NVH
* shorter DC charging times - more time spent at 250kW (or more later)
Looks like you might have not experienced full winter driving with Tesla, but let me tell you, every mile of range counts. I know, kman dude had the S60 but it was 10 years ago.
Yes, right now matters.
How do we know it has a better handling? Because it is lighter, I'd rather see a comparison to make my decision.
100% charge, is this the LFP battery? The last 10%, going from 90-100 percent lasts forever. Is it different in this case?

Hurry up!

ITC going down after this year and phasing out. You want this credit!

"ITC credit

The investment tax credit (ITC), also known as the federal solar tax credit, allows you to deduct 26 percent of the cost of installing a solar energy system from your federal taxes. The ITC applies to both residential and commercial systems, and there is no cap on its value.Jan 12, 2022"

Going down to 22% next year then phasing out. Don't worry about Tesla Roof. Get some nice SPWR panels or anything over 20% and you will rock!

Shaves years off of breakeven!

You're thinking LFP, 4680s are NMC or NCA

* shorter DC charging times - more time spent at 250kW (and can accept higher when beefier Supercharger 4.0 is introduced)
Smaller pack means lower peak charge rate, taper is often cell voltage limit, not pack thermal.

I'm in the Midwest with an average sunlight profile. I don't have Tesla panels but do have a power wall. The ROI for me (zero state incentives) is positive, but not huge. For me though it's about putting my money where my mouth is. Being able to tell the "ur EV runs on coal crowd" where to stick it is worth it on it's own. Plus now I have extra security for my family in case of major outages.

Hurry up!

ITC going down after this year and phasing out. You want this credit!

"ITC credit

The investment tax credit (ITC), also known as the federal solar tax credit, allows you to deduct 26 percent of the cost of installing a solar energy system from your federal taxes. The ITC applies to both residential and commercial systems, and there is no cap on its value.Jan 12, 2022"

Going down to 22% next year then phasing out. Don't worry about Tesla Roof. Get some nice SPWR panels or anything over 20% and you will rock!

Shaves years off of breakeven!
Actually, I'd have to see the economics without the taxpayer welfare. THAT will be telling regarding the true economic viability of these systems. I suspect the end of the tax credit will weed out a lot of the less reputable solar vendors and force more professionalism into the industry, eventually leading to lower prices and better products. I have some research to do, particularly with my location and orientation, as well as installers in my area.

* better handling
better NVH

You profile says you live in Austin, are you posting some inside information because just about everything on your list has NOT been confirmed anywhere. Or do you have links to where you have seen this confirmed?

Actually, I'd have to see the economics without the taxpayer welfare. THAT will be telling regarding the true economic viability of these systems. I suspect the end of the tax credit will weed out a lot of the less reputable solar vendors and force more professionalism into the industry, eventually leading to lower prices and better products.
The main thing needed is production.

I know a company trying to ramp these products, you might have heard of them.

Most "solar installers" on Facebook are purely marketing firms. They'll propose the job and sign the contract THEN go find an installer.

The entire marketplace is a hot mess. Tesla may very well do standard panel installs(not solar roof) in your area. Throw your address in in the Tesla site and it'll tell you what's up.

Tesla does NOT do panels in TN as far as I know. I've been checking the site frequently with my address and it always says

"We don't serve this area currently. You can reserve solar and Powerwall below."

edit: holy solar panels batman, the site now lets me choose from 4.8 KW all the way up to 24 KW (9 different system sizes). In the past the range was much more limited.

I'm not even sure if 24KW of panels would fit on my roof.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd have to see the economics without the taxpayer welfare. THAT will be telling regarding the true economic viability of these systems. I suspect the end of the tax credit will weed out a lot of the less reputable solar vendors and force more professionalism into the industry, eventually leading to lower prices and better products.
Sorry that you are having such a hard time vetting.

The solar panels should not have anything to do with the installers. They are a refined product with decades of proof in them, work great and have a standard warranty of 25 years at which point they still work just not at the same efficiency.

Even with low electricity rates I think you should be able to hit 8% returns with a breakeven of about 12 years without the ITC. Great investment by any measure, AFAIK.

In my ridiculous NYC locale I got a 3.5 year breakeven after all the tax breaks. Admittedly got the 30% at the time, plus some state and city backing.

The tax payer welfare would be you recouping your own paid federal taxes, and I personally have never seen that as welfare. Is it so terrible to have direct input on what your own personal tax dollars are spent on every now and then?

But whatever floats your boat. Or climbs your mountain, in this case.

All the best!