Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except @winfield100's posts explicitly says that it covers acquisition and taxes for his 2012 comp plan. My question centers around whether or not he needs to sell 10% (or this is just Elon being Elon on Twitter) to exercise and pay taxes on those options.
Well he never said "when" he would sell the 10%, so thinking logically... with the exercise of the options he pays tax, to pay the tax he needs to sell shares, on which he pays more tax, so it's a double-whammy, goof to get that done while the rate it lower

For the remaining 5m shares to make it up to 10%, this would be left to next year as there's only tax to be paid on the sell

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part...

Looking forward to the day when they send solar + batteries instead of generators
With only a maximum of 9 hours a day at this time of year of light enough to read a book (let alone power a PV cell), I think sadly, some form of fossil fuel base electricity generation is probably the best scenario.

Some time in our future (well at least mine) there will be SOME alternative.. not sure if it’s small scale nuclear, or hydrogen electricity generation or simple a more nimble grid. but, it would also be nice to somehow REDUCE these types of events that seem to occur more and more frequently regardless.

I am still surprise Lutz recognize Elon achievements even though Lutz had given it before. Good to see many had changes their minds

I am still surprise Lutz recognize Elon achievements even though Lutz had given it before. Good to see many had changes their minds
OMG, I‘ve met Bob and frankly I didn’t really even know he was still alive.. (I’m not channeling the leader here either)

FTD data for 2nd 1/2 of November released, note the huge number at the 5:1 split and the S&P inclusion, the 3 days in June this year of around 800,000 shares but
OFFICIALLY the disclaimer
" ...Please note that fails-to-deliver can occur for a number of reasons on both long and short sales. Therefore, fails-to-deliver are not necessarily the result of short selling, and are not evidence of abusive short selling or “naked” short selling..."

3 consecutive days of 800,000 and 5 days of 600,000, and 9 days of around 100,000 FTD's, But nothing abusive or naked since June, 6.5 months, 17 days out of around 130 trading days, well over 10%
SEC hears us, just need to be noisier

1639605347087.png

1639605496790.png

1639606067287.png

Well he never said "when" he would sell the 10%, so thinking logically... with the exercise of the options he pays tax, to pay the tax he needs to sell shares, on which he pays more tax, so it's a double-whammy

No need for it to be.

If he sells the newly acquired from exercise shares there's $0.00 additional taxation... (because he's selling them for the price he's already BEEN taxed at)

It was the idea (and initial, but not in a while now, actual action) of selling OLD shares, where indeed he'd pay extra tax, that folks found odd. He seems to have stopped doing that though, with all recent sales only being exercising, and then selling nearly half the exercised shares for tax fund raising)

Reactions: Tslynk67
The federal government deployed 150 Cybertrucks and solar arrays to Kentucky….
Of course, not real but SOONER would be deploying 500 F-150 Lightning to that area for backup power capabilities. Frankly, I’ve thought that an app and ability to PRE deploy F-150 to areas for various purposes, including whole home (or what is left of it) power needs might be a business opportunity ala roboTaxis. not as predictable or disruptive, but there NTL

Of course, not real but SOONER would be deploying 500 F-150 Lightning to that area for backup power capabilities. Frankly, I’ve thought that an app and ability to PRE deploy F-150 to areas for various purposes, including whole home (or what is left of it) power needs might be a business opportunity ala roboTaxis. not as predictable or disruptive, but there NTL
The only way the F-150 is likely to be better than the Cybertruck for this kind of thing is if the home is built with the switching and special charger for it which won’t be the case. Most likely it’ll be powering a small tent-city. Don’t get me wrong, the F-150 home backup thing is neat, but for emergency power like this, not any more practical.

Plus the Cybertruck will have more charge remaining since it’s more efficient getting there. Also since we’re living in an imagined future, they could deploy the Cybertrucks without drivers simplifying logistics.

EDIT: NM… reread your message. Yeah the F-150 will prob be sooner.

I'll use two examples:

Company A has a market cap of $10,000. 100 shares at $100 each

Example 1:
Only 1 share is for sale but 5 people want that share. It gets bid up to $200 because of demand. Market cap just doubled to $20,000 because the share price is now valued at $200.

Example 2, Opposite case (Elon Selling):
Same company A but 20 shares are for sale, demand is the same, 5 people each want a single share. Sellers have to drop their price, let's say each share goes for $95, then $90, and the 20th share sells for $50 because there are now more buyers joining the market because the price is at a discount. The market cap is now at $5,000.

This is over simplified but you asked for it to be explained to a 5 year old. A share of stock is only worth what someone will pay for it. More supply makes prices go down.
So if a market cap is at 1T, there was not necessarily 1T of money invested to buy the stock?

After reading an article saying $1 invested could make a stock move $6 I once said that here that you could invest only 200B of money in a stock but the market cap could be 1T and someone said it wasn’t possible.

So if a market cap is at 1T, there was not necessarily 1T of money invested to buy the stock?

After reading an article saying $1 invested could make a stock move $6 I once said that here that you could invest only 200B of money in a stock but the market cap could be 1T and someone said it wasn’t possible.
Not at all. A huge chunk of the Market Cap is from people who only invested a few dollars per share or were vested. Musk is buying shares right now at less than $7/ share as he exercises options.

Correct:

Think of it like housing prices.

10 houses on 1 block, all identical.

5 years ago the houses were brand new and everyone bought those houses for $250k each. Total value of the block is $2.5 million

Today prices have doubled (actually pretty accurate). One of those houses sells for $500k. Every house on that block is now worth $500k. The whole block is now worth $5 million even though only one house changed hands for a $250k profit.

Another day where short sellers seem to push the stock down the first half of the day, and then have to buy it back by close. I expect the same tomorrow, especially if Elon sells more shares to add fuel to the fire. At least if it happens again, I won't blink this time and give up a lot of my gains on sold Put Spreads (by rolling to lower strikes prematurely).

The only way the F-150 is likely to be better than the Cybertruck for this kind of thing is if the home is built with the switching and special charger for it which won’t be the case. Most likely it’ll be powering a small tent-city. Don’t get me wrong, the F-150 home backup thing is neat, but for emergency power like this, not any more practical.

Plus the Cybertruck will have more charge remaining since it’s more efficient getting there. Also since we’re living in an imagined future, they could deploy the Cybertrucks without drivers simplifying logistics.

Nice thing about this solution is Mobility (logistic) + power source + water + food can be a single package solution.

I’m pretty sure that either F or someone else will create an intermediary device for this purpose.. but TWT

The federal government deployed 150 Cybertrucks and solar arrays to Kentucky….
Or...

As part of FEMA stockpile, 10 Tesla semis with Megapacks on the bed were routed along with supplemental solar arrays to keep them topped off. Megapacks will route to nearby areas for recharging when depleted, and will return to impacted areas on a rotating basis.

If we are going to dream, let's dream big. :)