Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Done, forwarded to friends and contributed.
Is this on Twitter anywhere with Dave Lee, Omar, etc. ?
Can someone get Elon to Like a tweet about this.
We're at 974 signatures . . . . if this gets on Twitter it can get to thousands.

Let's think this through: the US is, what, maybe a quarter of Tesla's future market? Say the NHTSA forces Tesla to disable some part of FSD. So foreign countries use full Full Self Driving and the stats start showing fewer deaths (all other factors being normalized). The US experiences more deaths than the NHTSA could help prevent.

How's that going to look for Ms. Cummings?

You can't stop progress completely.
You can't stop innovation.
You can't stop Tesla.
Would NHTSA be held liable for excessive morbidity and mortality in the US when FSD is shown to decrease both in other countries?

I doubt the arguments about who she follows and or interacts with on Twitter will impress a lot.

It's not about Missy Cummings interactions on twitter. Its about her use of the TSLAQ block list to prevent literally thousands of Tesla supporters from viewing her comments or interacting with her on that public forum.

But her tweeting overt threats of physical violence against Elon Musk don't help either (this is the one where she said "hold me back if I meet Elon" while including a video clip of a woman assaulting a man seated in a chair.

Really.

Here are the specific conflicts of interest which should disqualify Missy Cummings as an Advisor to the NHTSA: (2 screenshots from her CV)

View attachment 723545

View attachment 723546

Let's make the relevent text available for Search engines too:
  • Missy Cummings is a member of the Veoneer, Inc. Board of Directors
  • Veoneer is an American Sedish provider of automotive technology based in Stockholm and incorporated in Delaware
  • Veoneer's products include radars, lidars, thermal night vision cameras, vision systems and advanced driver assistance and autonomous driving software
  • Veoneer counts all major global automakers as its customers
It is obvious that Missy Cummins has deep business conflicts of interest plus a personal financial stake in Tesla's competitors. These conflicts of interest make her unsuitable to advice the NHTSA.

Don't be fooled by what happens next.

Regards,
Lodger
Lodger, I'm pasting this onto a webpage, but the blue type is not linked to anything... is it supposed to be???

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Nikola's big problem is, that the Nikola One (that resembled the patent) has made it only as far as a single non-working prototype (a "pusher" body), and then the company has completely abandoned that line, so it will never make it into production. The truck they are now trying to get into "production" is the Nikola Tre, which looks completely different:
nikola-tre.jpg

The fact is, the Nikola Tre looks very much like an Iveco truck*, and that is no coincidence as the chassis is bought from them and got rebadged by Nikola.
It is much harder to claim damages when they have no product to match that patent. Not to mention the legal troubles with the patent itself, which was filed naming the infamous Trevor Milton as the inventor, when in fact they actually bought the invention from a Croatian designer -- ooops.

EbDlMg3UMAEexSO.jpg
And I think the Transformers should consider a trademark infringement suit against Nikola for their grille design:

h2oQG3.jpg

It would be hard for me to imagine that similar shapes would be sufficient for a lawsuit. There's plenty of precedent for cars that borrow heavily from styling from other makes.

Not to mention shape for EVs is significantly influenced by aerodynamics, so there is gonna be some similarity for any design seeking to eek out efficiency...

Ms. Cummings is distinctly qualified for the proposed role.
There are very many technically qualified people . . .but you want candidates whom also show solid judgment. I believe Ms. Cummings has shown poor judgment and is thus the wrong person for the role.

How can you judge someone so publicly without truly knowing them. You can have an opinion about someone based on what you read and heard on interviews but to make a claim about someone publicly on Twitter shows poor judgment and in fact poor professionalism.

1634735708630.png

Refresh Model X getting set to add $1 Billion in revenue in Q4? ($100K * 10K deliveries) :D

Cheers!
A billion here, a billion there . . . Pretty soon you’re talking real money!

Done, forwarded to friends and contributed.
Is this on Twitter anywhere with Dave Lee, Omar, etc. ?
Can someone get Elon to Like a tweet about this.
We're at 974 signatures . . . . if this gets on Twitter it can get to thousands.

Copying @DaveT @KarenRei (in case she still checks in).

not bothered with him as a person?
People kare disagreeing with me about this. She is an advocate of new technology, provided it has been thoroughly tested and documented. Her views are influenced by the F-18, quite distinctly. She also seeks diverse viewpoints.

Thus her views on Elon are mixed. Her reservations are almost entirely about release testing and documentation. Otherwise she’s supportive.

For some reason many of us assume she’s against TSLA interests because of some of her followers, because she does not answer some emails and because she has interests with lidar.
Elon has lidar interests and uses them with SpaceX.

Please. Try to take a rational view. Just because Biden is a union advocate is not an automatic reason to view all his appointments in a negative light.

For goodness sake, please read her actual papers. Check their content and sourcing. Ignore random tweets and/or lists of following/followers. If you were able to check mine you’d find I follow a number of people whose views I largely detest. I have zero interest in seeing only things with which I agree. Editing out all disagreement yields myopia or worse.

Ms. Cummings is a human being, a thoughtful person and a technically qualified one. She knows more about complex systems, including neural networks, than do almost all of us.

I do not expect to agree with her every utterance. I do expect to listen. There are only a few people who’ve lived with the consequences of inadequate vehicle automation with overly simplistic neural network design. (the F18). She also understands both overconfidence and lack of knowledge in operating vehicles with advanced systems.

We owe it to ourselves to be willing to understand that FSD and autopilot are far from perfect. I cannot be the only one who has been forced to disconnect to avoid an accident!

Tesla is making great progress, but it is not perfect. Every one of us has seem a software update that was a step back in some respect. It does not harm us to seek improved process control and consistent regulatory climate.

Who knows, Supercruise might be forced to notify loudly when it disconnects on a highway. Remember the agency has asked data from almost every OEM. Tesla is first and most covered because Tesla has more than does anybody else. Is that not sppropriate?

I don't know if anyone is watching BTC and ETH hitting new highs. As Tesla has a nice stash of BTC the net worth is rocketing upwards along with SpaceX.
I believe Tesla may trade or hedge these vehicles and finding out what they are doing with it would be of interest to us shareholders.
I don't know what is going on with the politics since there is a lot of speculation. I am holding judgement but want answers from POTUS who has done some good with the EPA and other environmental issues but seems to be antagonist against Tesla?(not sure if this is true) This is confusing and may do great harm to the democratic party and slow progress limiting the Climate Crisis. Like Mark Twain said, It isn't what you don't know that gets you into trouble, its what you think you know for sure.

Let's think this through: the US is, what, maybe a quarter of Tesla's future market? Say the NHTSA forces Tesla to disable some part of FSD. So foreign countries use full Full Self Driving and the stats start showing fewer deaths (all other factors being normalized). The US experiences more deaths than the NHTSA could help prevent.

How's that going to look for Ms. Cummings?

You can't stop progress completely.
You can't stop innovation.
You can't stop Tesla.
Fat lot of good this does us in the short term.

There are very many technically qualified people . . .but you want candidates whom also show solid judgment. I believe Ms. Cummings has shown poor judgment and is thus the wrong person for the role.

How can you judge someone so publicly without truly knowing them. You can have an opinion about someone based on what you read and heard on interviews but to make a claim about someone publicly on Twitter shows poor judgment and in fact poor professionalism.

View attachment 723559
Zero question she makes Twitter mistakes. My own experience there made me quit Twitter. Still, I judge her by her research nit by her tweets. She has pro-Tesla tweets too, I’m told. I agree with you that her tweets raise issues. She ought to censor her thoughts before writing. For that matter I really wish Elon would stop Twitter F we judge him by that we might well think he’s a poor choice also.

To be sure I will not rush to defend anybody using such a ridiculous medium, organized as it is to encourage thoughtless random utterances.

PS Finally it has happened! I have finally had a point on which I can disagree with @The Accountant ! Hopefully there will not be many more of them.