Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if these parts of the dash LCD active? Seems like a perfect way to visualize blind spots...

Attachments

• MSdash.jpg
    MSdash.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 95
It doesn't. The Tesla's routing has a lot more complex things happening in the background including considering elevation, battery charge curves, remaining range and where to route to Superchargers, whether to have one longer charge or re-route a little out of the way to have two shorter charges.

Your Toyota is not doing that.
This isn't route optimization planning to determine the best order to travel multiple destinations... there are software packages that you can buy for such logistics needs.

This is adding waypoints in a specific order effectively segmenting the existing route, or adding additional segments, along the way to a final destination. And indeed my Toyota does that.... with much more modest hardware than even my Gen1 MCU has. Heck my Compaq iPaq hendheld with a CPU with fractions of a GHz of clock rate could do that 20 yrs ago.

While it's true that the route factors in elevation costs and considers battery range to include Superchargers, the system already does that... so for a destination 500 miles away, all that calculation has already occurred. There's no real additional heavy lifting the system is not capable of if I add 2 stops, effectively making it 3 individual routes to the same destination.

Now while there may be a valid reason Tesla hasn't gone to the trouble of adding waypoints, but it's hard to believe storage capacity or computational complexity are either of them.

Last edited:
That power curve is truly stunning. If you’re not aware, a motor’s ‘natural’ power curve is bell shaped, making 0kW at zero RPM, 0kW at max speed (where back EMF is about equal to the battery voltage) and max power at 50% of this speed. There are techniques to allow the speed to exceed the maximum (field weakening) which are useful.

Point is: fitting that power curve within the bell shape means there must be a staggering amount of excess capability that is being sacrificed in order to give the near perfectly drivable, yet with dragstrip performance, curve shown.

I find the drivability of my M3LR stunning, especially when it comes to using the tyres performance to the max (plus very flattering driver aid electronics: I’m not kidding myself): MS Plaid will clearly be a stellar road and track weapon.

That's a super interesting analysis, very enlightening.

Either Tesla had a breakthrough with the 18650's or the 2170's for the new S/X, or yes they might be using the 4680's afterall. Whatever the breakthrough was Tesla hasn't talked about the details of it openly yet, and THAT TOO is very interesting because it would be very positive news.
They have increased output by more than 30% without increasing the size of the battery pack. I always understood the limit on the power on the prior S was mostly the battery pack not the motors. So they either made some dramatic improvements to the 18650's or they are using the 4860's.

Tesla Raj ask Franz which battery was in the Plaid and he refused to answer. 4:32 on this video.

I find it odd no mention of the battery technology in the presentation. There are some serious improvements in the battery which were not discussed which makes this all very interesting.

Quick tangent from Plaid MS delivery event interpretations...

I’m often looking for completely different (aka independent) future valuation approaches. Sorry in advance if this has been discussed already, but this thread is a monster. Anyway, I was thinking just applying a $ value to KWh sold by Tesla might be intereating (albeit very simplistic). I took a WAG using aspirational numbers revealed from battery day. I set the $ earnings per kWh from 2020...I see that 2021 net income is already extrapolated as too low, nonetheless, please throw darts it....
Tesla GWh forecast.png

okay, back to you regular programming....

I find it odd no mention of the battery technology in the presentation. There are some serious improvements in the battery which were not discussed which makes this all very interesting
Tesla has clearly chosen to NOT discuss the particulars of pack composition, likely to avoid Osborning their product line(s). They HAD to discuss particulars on battery day when they revealed the future 4680s. Unfortunately, folks skipping Plaid for Plaid+ was a glimpse into the Osborne effect that likely killed the Plaid+. Knowing the intent is for Tesla to put the structural 4680s into the MY is really going to make discussion of all the details difficult for Tesla....probably only revealing details once the production is coming off the lines.

I’m often looking for completely different (aka independent) future valuation approaches. Sorry in advance if this has been discussed already, but this thread is a monster. Anyway, I was thinking just applying a $ value to KWh sold by Tesla might be intereating (albeit very simplistic). I took a WAG using aspirational numbers revealed from battery day. I set the $ earnings per kWh from 2020...I see that 2021 net income is already extrapolated as too low, nonetheless, please throw darts it....
View attachment 672637

Elon said the Insurance opportunity is probably ~30% of the entire car business. The Energy business is growing into a TAM thats 10x the Auto market. Then there's Robotaxi, with its 70% margin opportunity. Did I mention A.I.?

TL;dr I think you're gonna need a digger moat.

View attachment 672637

Warren Redlich used a similar line of thinking to guesstimate Tesla’s earnings and stock price in 2022. He came up with $2,000 per share. He’s an Uber-bull who doesn’t seem to dive much deeper than back of the envelope estimates. But it’s interesting to think about how things might turn out in the best of all possible worlds 🤔

Back home and finished skimming the past 50 or so pages. Bit surprised at the negative sentiment to the event...I had a blast but as others have mentioned it's a different experience in person. Didn't have any expectations of surprises or "one more thing" as it didn't seem like the proper venue for that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I was talking to the engineers that were by the exposed motor pieces. One engineer said the rotors are under considerable compression even at rest. Is looking forward to seeing how Sandy Munro will approach it, since as soon as you cut into that carbon sleeve things will want to start expanding quickly.

Then talked to the engineer by the stator. I asked about the copper windings noting how Sandy is more of a fan of the hairpin windings. He said they're actually using hairpin in China and will eventually bring that over.

The test ride was intense! Felt a bit funny walking afterwards.

And I got Franz to sign my key!
EBA44797-5CEA-4AA1-946E-C672BB216F41.jpeg

Telsa has been the worst performing auto stock this year. Down 16% YTD. Getting tired of hearing this and that are coming 'soon'. How bad would the stock have to get to be kicked out of the S&P, since it's been a horrible performer for that index.
TSLA is up %400 over the past 12 months.

What’s your investment horizon? Are you a trader or investor?

Is this your first day analyzing the stock market?

Telsa has been the worst performing auto stock this year. Down 16% YTD. Getting tired of hearing this and that are coming 'soon'. How bad would the stock have to get to be kicked out of the S&P, since it's been a horrible performer for that index.
I believe when it's down 20%, it'll get kicked out. So I would short as much as I can here. It's like laughing yourself to the bank. Trust me and it's advice.

That power curve is truly stunning. If you’re not aware, a motor’s ‘natural’ power curve is bell shaped, making 0kW at zero RPM, 0kW at max speed (where back EMF is about equal to the battery voltage) and max power at 50% of this speed. There are techniques to allow the speed to exceed the maximum (field weakening) which are useful.

Point is: fitting that power curve within the bell shape means there must be a staggering amount of excess capability that is being sacrificed in order to give the near perfectly drivable, yet with dragstrip performance, curve shown.

I find the drivability of my M3LR stunning, especially when it comes to using the tyres performance to the max (plus very flattering driver aid electronics: I’m not kidding myself): MS Plaid will clearly be a stellar road and track weapon.
Yeah its awesome compared to ICE (and previous Tesla motors). Electric motor power curves are trapezoidals that can be flat at the high end if the power source is large enough and its voltage is sufficiently higher than the back-EMF at peak RPM (versus 'peak' output).

To the new account holder...
The lowest market cap stock on the 500 is $5.72B, Tesla would need to drop below $5.93 to have a chance of being moved out due to stock price.