Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in two minds about the idea. While batteries are the limiting factor for growth then giving away the tech to increase supply is not a bad idea, and it is in line with the mission to accelerate sustainable energy. However it also reduces Tesla's moat in what is the very core of their business.

Elon is relying on the pace of innovation.

I'm in two minds about the idea. While batteries are the limiting factor for growth then giving away the tech to increase supply is not a bad idea, and it is in line with the mission to accelerate sustainable energy. However it also reduces Tesla's moat in what is the very core of their business.

He always has and he always will. If Tesla locks up the battery supply from any technology they share for the next five to ten years it is moot anyway. Other companies will make battery advances in this time, even if they never approach the quality or quantity of Tesla's. The important thing to is to ramp and to ramp first.

Allowing for a renewable world trumps any concerns I have as a long time shareholder. Furthermore, I think this move would vault Tesla even farther ahead of the competition as they dither about and search for companies to buy outsourced batteries from, cause you know, how is that a core technology for a BEV company anyway?

People are interpreting this tweet as Tesla selling BTC

Personally I think that's incorrect, this would be material information and very risky, I think rather that Elon is referring to his relationship with the BTC community

EM credited Master of Coin with the Diamond Hands, so maybe he wanted it sold even earlier ;)

If sold, how soon would Tesla have to notify investors via an 8K etc?

Depending on licensing, Tesla may have a lock on the use of the new tech they are providing (or fees for sales to other OEMs). Tesla may also be the equipment supplier, thus controlling production (or gaining revenue from equipment sales).

Either way "moats are lame"

Selling shovels during a gold rush... while owning a gold mine...

Felt a little down today ...so in case anyone else needs a laugh I present the following:

"Best EV's (that have marketing budgets) in 2021"

Moto Mengy, I have a motorcycle vlog channel, nothing related to Tesla.

Although when I do buy my Model Y either later this year or early 2022 I am going to have a go at a Tesla oriented YT channel of some kind. I won't do a Tesla news channel because we have lots of those already. Maybe I should do an anti-Tesla FUD channnel? Because if Tesla won't fight the FUD then maybe we need to do it ourselves in a public manner? :cool:
Not entirely unrelated to Tesla. I watched your video pontificating about electric motorcycles (along with a few others). I agree with your thoughts of Tesla battery technology making it to motorbikes, it’s just a matter of time. Reading through the comments it’s clear that motorcyclists as a group tend to have a higher proportion of gearheads than car drivers do so adoption might be slower. That’s okay as it gives time for the battery tech and charging infrastructure to improve. That’s needed as there’s not a lot of space to put the batteries in a bike and certainly don’t want the bike getting too heavy.

Excellent discourse with your commenters too. Setting the e-mobility record straight, one rider at a time!

tesla related: more clean air zones encouraging vans, HGVs & cars (especially company cars) to go EV. Best EV company cars in UK are Tesla due to charging network.

Mail deliveries in Bristol, UK going EV due to pollution restrictions. I expect these zones to become widespread.

Tesla's lead is nearly sufficient to get to the tail end of the EV transition arc. As in.....by the time 50-60% of new global passenger vehicles are EV, Tesla could be standing still from today and still have the best offering.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants the "secret sauce" for battery tech is welcome to it. Tesla will be on to the next thing(Energy) long before they scale production. And the next thing makes the automotive/FSD market look like a grain of sand.

The more of this FUD I see, the less I think it's big oil.
I think it's actually big money funds (hedge funds, MMs, etc) who pay the journalists to put out BS and lower the share price (at the expense of weak longs) so they can get in at a low level before running it up. Remember last time this happened? Tesla was at $100-something pre-split, then within 2 years it had increased 10x.
Not sure of the magnitude of the pending runup, but this feels the same.
It's always darkest before the light, just as I always find my Model S FOB in the last place I looked for it.
This is only because you'd have to be an idiot to keep looking AFTER you've found it.

And they are cranking out the Plaid as we speak from Fremont and delivering it this month. When Elon introduced it at battery day he was talking about the Plaid+ then for availability late 2021, Tesla pivoted and offered the Plaid before mid-2021 and although it is peanuts to their other vehicles, people are talking about it. There are car enthusiasts on other forums who have seriously considered Taycans, Lucid, etc. who saw the Plaid specs and cancelled their orders last year.

The halo effect from the Model S, although caters more towards affluent buyers for now, is more important than ever. So a presentation solely on the updated Model S is a smart move. I believe Tesla has plans to sell 200k+ per year Model S and Model X combined.

Plaid is now, get one get (P)laid.

Well, I’m really glad that Tesla sold its bitcoin for multiple reasons. But once I saw this cult leader I have decided to liquidate my coin wallet. It was insignificant compared to my TSLA investment; but I simply cannot condone this behavior.

WARNING: adult (edit: childish) language.

Ok. I admit I drew a likely inaccurate conclusion.

I love this family as we often point out each others deficiencies of thought.

I jumped to a conclusion. It is quite possible (highly likely) that ZK hasn’t sold all of, or any, of it’s BTC.

I do feel (hope) the love affair/obsession for crypto has passed and we can move on to the pressing issues that Tesla is addressing; transitioning to clean energy.

I have small children; I hope they live in a world with abundant clean energy. The toxic nature of the crypto culture is also something I really hope they won’t experience.