Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hot off the presses at CNNbusiness...

Headline: Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X
" New York (CNN Business)Tesla has not built any of its two most expensive cars -- the Model S and Model X -- so far this year.

Tesla did not respond to any questions for the reason for the production decision.
Even so, the automaker still managed to produce a record number of cars in its most recent quarter, as it built 180,338 of the Model 3 sedan and Model Y SUV, both of which being less expensive models that made up nearly 90% of the company's overall sales in 2020. The total edged past Tesla's previous record set in the last three months of 2019 by nearly 600 cars."

I read this while they played a GM commercial for me. Some top-notch investigative journalism is going on there folks...
No links are provided by me and I will not respond to questions for the reasons I made this decision.
These charlatans never stop.

Last edited:

" New York (CNN Business)Tesla has not built any of its two most expensive cars -- the Model S and Model X -- so far this year.

Tesla did not respond to any questions for the reason for the production decision.
Even so, the automaker still managed to produce a record number of cars in its most recent quarter, as it built 180,338 of the Model 3 sedan and Model Y SUV, both of which being less expensive models that made up nearly 90% of the company's overall sales in 2020. The total edged past Tesla's previous record set in the last three months of 2019 by nearly 600 cars."

I read this while they played a GM commercial for me. Some top-notch investigative journalism is going on there folks...
No links are provided by me and I will not respond to questions for the reasons I made this decision.

Originally, it was Cable News Network but CNN has devolved into the Commercial News Network. I boycott CNN for the same reason I boycott Fox News. Don’t tell me how to think. Tell me the facts, I’ll make up my own mind.

I grew up with Walter Cronkite; it is near impossible to suffer through today’s news.

Originally, it was Cable News Network but CNN has devolved into the Commercial News Network. I boycott CNN for the same reason I boycott Fox News. Don’t tell me how to think. Tell me the facts, I’ll make up my own mind.

I grew up with Walter Cronkite; it is near impossible to suffer through today’s news.
I liked Frank Reynolds also...you could see he wanted to get the facts

Yep (as I predicted on Wed), right on schedule: :p

Actually, I think it will be S/X numbers (just like when Tesla introduced the 'Raven').

Yeah, the P&D worries me. There’s virtually no chance it’s over 180K, and anything less will be spun. The QoQ decline will be the bears’ mantra.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Let's not forget about the Tesla / Toyota rumor. Now that nobody has denied it (and Toyota even 'declined to comment'), it's looking much more likely that it's true. I'm thinking it will be a robotaxi partnership - Toyota provides the cars, Tesla provides the FSD and they split the profits. I think this is how it will have to be - countries with major OEMs like Japan and S.Korea aren't just going to let Tesla waltz in with their robotaxis and take over transportation without a local partner.

Let's not forget about the Tesla / Toyota rumor. Now that nobody has denied it (and Toyota even 'declined to comment'), it's looking much more likely that it's true. I'm thinking it will be a robotaxi partnership - Toyota provides the cars, Tesla provides the FSD and they split the profits. I think this is how it will have to be - countries with major OEMs like Japan and S.Korea aren't just going to let Tesla waltz in with their robotaxis and take over transportation without a local partner.

It will be interesting to see if this is a question in the earnings call, and how it is answered.

This afternoon, a friend (leased 2017 Nissan Leaf) I talked into investing in TSLA last year told me: "I stopped buying Tesla stock because I have too much stake init. Now I am going to diversify. So how about buy some CQQQ?"
I replied to him: "What diversify? It is its own basket of industries. Car manufacturer, energy storage, solar, robotaxi, AI, insurance, energy utility too."

This isn't the correct interpretation of what Dojo will be used for, as far as Elon and Karpathy has explained.

For now, Dojo is simply a NN-optimized training cluster with a custom CPU and cooling design. Dojo would allow Tesla to create larger NN models since the model size is limited by how long it takes their cluster to train / process the data. After Tesla transitions to video labeling (which will still be done manually by humans), they'll need a lot more training flops.

Operation Vacation refers to automated data curation from the fleet. Humans will still need to label the data, but the fleet will help collect some of it.
Yup... this confusion always seemed weird to me.

The reason you need human labelers is they're labeling objects the NNs can't yet ID well enough.

So you label examples, then use them to train the NN.

If the computer could already reliably ID the thing well enough to label it on its own, then it wouldn't need to be trained to recognize it.

The still to video transition benefit is you get a system that understands the thing labeled "Truck" in frame 1 of the video is the SAME object in frame 2....so you don't need to label every frame like you did before....and then another big gain is getting it to understand the object labeled "truck" in frame 27 on ONE camera is the same object in frame 39 from another camera.

Now you can label a ton more data in the same amount of time because you're not having to label the same thing over and over for a given set of data... and thus need a much more robust back end to train against the much larger data set.

That's what Dojo will do.

Operation Vacation is the engineering team setting up the infrastructure so new tasks can be created and trained without THEM being around. It still needs the data labelers and PMs who will use that infrastructure to pick a task type, gather and label the training data, then run the training cycles through the system.

Thanks for these two corrections. They seem to contradict each other, so I don't know which to believe, but I can't remember where I got the story I posted, so I guess I better research it more.

In any case, maybe we all agree that Dojo will accelerate the rate of FSD progress, if it hasn't already.

Reactions: capster
Thanks for these two corrections. They seem to contradict each other, so I don't know which to believe, but I can't remember where I got the story I posted, so I guess I better research it more.

In any case, maybe we all agree that Dojo will accelerate the rate of FSD progress, if it hasn't already.

I think the confusion stems from Autonomy Day where Elon alluded to self / unsupervised training with Dojo. People then heard about Operation Vacation and connected the dots themselves.

Reactions: FireMedic
Since it's not yet Monday, I feel the need to point out that while the crazy 80-stall Supercharger expansion in CA is getting all the attention, Clayton, NM went online today. This is a huge gap fill for an important route--CO to TX. This makes what was once a very difficult drive (specifically Trinidad, CO to Amarillo, TX and the reverse) a breeze.