Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article doesn't address the fact that Waymo/Cruise also has cameras and also has a NN used for object recognition.

Everyone uses them.

The fact is that deep neural networks thrive on consuming more and more data. They get more accurate.

Tesla absolutely has access to orders of magnitudes more data.

Tesla's computer vision algorithms will absolutely be better than the competition. How much better is hard to say at this time.

When will Tesla's vision algorithms surpass competitors vision+lidar?

If they ever do, and it's clear to the market, hold on to your seats.

This writer believes that "SpaceX falls under the Tesla umbrella". If only...
I believe Amazon is included for the sake of Bezos trying to bring online a starlink competitor, which may be sold under Amazon.
Until EM and core group moves to Austin, all prototypes will be done in Fremont. It was the case even for the Solar Roof.
Makes sense for tooling to make one prototype, but to have a pilot assembly line requires space Fremont does not have.

Everyone uses them.

The fact is that deep neural networks thrive on consuming more and more data. They get more accurate.

Tesla absolutely has access to orders of magnitudes more data.

Tesla's computer vision algorithms will absolutely be better than the competition. How much better is hard to say at this time.

When will Tesla's vision algorithms surpass competitors vision+lidar?

If they ever do, and it's clear to the market, hold on to your seats.
I don't think Tesla's NN will surpass vision+ lidar in reliability (except maybe in heavy weather?..jury is still out on how reliable cameras are when occluded). Vision + lidar from Waymo has cleared regulatory hurdles and are robotaxies, which is the goal for Tesla. Being more reliable than Waymo right now may not even be meaningful.

The intent was always scalability which drastically reduce the cost of getting to autonomy. This will cause Waymo/Cruise to ditch lidar as it's better for profitability, not better in reliability.

I really wouldn't fault you for your thought process over the past two weeks. If I was playing weekly call's, probably would have done the same strategy. While I thought there would be an effort to create a dip/sell off right before P/D numbers come out.....I thought for sure that dip would be from the mid 700's to maybe upper 600's in the day or two before the P/D numbers come out.......but MM's and Wall St have had absolutely no problem controlling the stock. Honestly, it's seemed way too easy for them to get the stock right back into the long term down trend since Jan after that 20% rally day.

Either investors really are that scared of a Q1 disaster and thus are unwilling to buy until the P/D report comes out or there's a lot of backroom talk between institutions and hedgies happening

Clearly there’s a lot of manipulation in the markets. But pretending the macros aren’t more powerful drivers verges on tin foil hatting. Between the margin calls hitting banks, inflation fears (which are unfounded IMO), ever given, etc there were plenty of reasons for a temporarily depressed market.

TL;DR it’s not always evil boiler room stuff. Sometimes it’s just “*sugar* happens”

I don't think Tesla's NN will surpass vision+ lidar in reliability (except maybe in heavy weather?..jury is still out on how reliable cameras are when occluded). Vision + lidar from Waymo has cleared regulatory hurdles and are robotaxies, which is the goal for Tesla. Being more reliable than Waymo right now may not even be meaningful.

The intent was always scalability which drastically reduce the cost of getting to autonomy. This will cause Waymo/Cruise to ditch lidar as it's better for profitability, not better in reliability.

Being more reliable than Waymo as an L2 assist maybe isn't meaningful.

Being more reliable than Waymo for robotaxi absolutely meaningful, because Waymo isn't reliable enough yet. Thus why they are operating in a very fixed confines.

Again this "regulatory hurdles" thing is a complete red herring.

Waymos RTs are operating in Arizona.

The only requirement is you send the state a letter certifying the car is self driving and can obey all relevant traffic laws.

That's it.

They don't even test it- they just take your word for it.

Anybody that has working RTs can turn them on today in a bunch of US states.

No "regulatory hurdles" stop them. Only a lack of a safe, working, RT system does.

Reactions: kbM3 and 2daMoon
Apparently Wall St and MM's are not worried about Tesla releasing P/D the morning of April 1st(which admittingly is a smart bet). Seems obvious to me they're anticipating some FOMO buying on Wed/Thurs so they're keeping the stock in check for max pain at 650 on Thursday. If Tesla does release P/D numbers on April 1st (again very low chance of this) and they're good, MM's gonna get blown up. Even then......kinda dangerous considering the Biden infrastructure plan is supposed to be release on Wed if I'm remembering correctly

That or Wall St is dead set on keeping TSLA in a long term downtrend (which they've successfully done since that 20% rally day).

“Investing in clean energy and infrastructure is the best, fastest and most effective way to put people to work and address the climate crisis,” John Podesta, a member of the group's advisory board, writes in a memo outlining its plans.
from

I really wouldn't fault you for your thought process over the past two weeks. If I was playing weekly call's, probably would have done the same strategy. While I thought there would be an effort to create a dip/sell off right before P/D numbers come out.....I thought for sure that dip would be from the mid 700's to maybe upper 600's in the day or two before the P/D numbers come out.......but MM's and Wall St have had absolutely no problem controlling the stock. Honestly, it's seemed way too easy for them to get the stock right back into the long term down trend since Jan after that 20% rally day.

Either investors really are that scared of a Q1 disaster and thus are unwilling to buy until the P/D report comes out or there's a lot of backroom talk between institutions and hedgies happening
The volume hasn't been crazy high, but it's picked up a noticable amount on some of these larger down days. Now that could obviously be shorting and what's commonly referred to as manipulation, but I guess it could be regular old selling. Who tho?

We're facing a tsunami of stimulus, all right up Tesla's alley. Could a "rotation to value" be this strong and deep? Makes some sense if you're a Wall Street drone with no vision, but I'm surprised it's not being soaked up more aggressively this far from inclusion price.

I don't know. Makes no sense. I'm buying calls until a logical explanation is presented. None of my 4/9 orders executed, so I assume we open at $640 tomorrow and close at $649 Thursday. MM's will close the window on cheap 4/9 call buying. Bastards.

News from Mr. Wu Wa regarding Tesla's Model 2 factory land that is getting cleared/prepped right now:

"Just as I was about to post this video, the online media just broke the shocking news (19:25) that the land south of Tesla's Shanghai factory was out of bidding today (March 29). If the news is correct, it means that Tesla did not take the industrial land, we consulted the site personnel at noon today, they are very sure that the site is owned by Tesla, and construction has already started inside the site. It is possible that the bid was not negotiated on the price of the land, and perhaps after another negotiation, things will come to a successful conclusion. Well, we still know the situation of this piece of land."

Isn't that piece of land far too small for the sort of room needed for the model 2 factory that will be producing an order of magnitude more vehicles than the 3/Y factory?

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
The volume hasn't been crazy high, but it's picked up a noticable amount on some of these larger down days. Now that could obviously be shorting and what's commonly referred to as manipulation, but I guess it could be regular old selling. Who tho?

We're facing a tsunami of stimulus, all right up Tesla's alley. Could a "rotation to value" be this strong and deep? Makes some sense if you're a Wall Street drone with no vision, but I'm surprised it's not being soaked up more aggressively this far from inclusion price.

I don't know. Makes no sense. I'm buying calls until a logical explanation is presented. None of my 4/9 orders executed, so I assume we open at $640 tomorrow and close at $649 Thursday. MM's will close the window on cheap 4/9 call buying. Bastards.

If the stock is down tomorrow, especially in the morning, I will be buying some 715 April 9th Calls. The risk/reward is definitely there for me......with the caveat being I think 180k deliveries is likely

Being more reliable than Waymo as an L2 assist maybe isn't meaningful.

Being more reliable than Waymo for robotaxi absolutely meaningful, because Waymo isn't reliable enough yet. Thus why they are operating in a very fixed confines.
Waymo's reliability within those spaces is the reliability Tesla hopes to achieve for revenue generation. Tesla will also geo fence, and expand the geofence as more data proves they are reliable in other areas too. Why Waymo will ditch Lidar is because Tesla can expand the geofenced area an order of magnitude faster than Waymo at a fraction of the cost.

This is what I mean by scalability, not reliability.

FSD Reality

I guess we should give up on FSD after all. Elon is nuts and an outlier and this "billionaire" who sells lidar and has no bias at all has set us straight on using vision as opposed to lidar. TLDR vision will never work for FSD. Tesla should license this guys stuff. Really they should. I mean he's a billionaire at a much younger age than Elon was, right? So he must be brilliant. 🙃

Is ARK buying TSLA today ? given that ..

I don't know if I'm comfortable with this.

Is ARK buying TSLA today ? given that ..

Daring them to drop it lower...

• Funny
Reactions: FireMedic and ninpb