Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would be relatively meaningless even if it happened - there are hardly any funds passively indexed to the Dow.

True, DIA is essentially that universe. Although it is something. Perhaps more meaningful is the prestige of being in the DJIA. That could influence active fund managers, stock analysts and bond rating services. Not to mention potential buyers of Tesla products.

True, DIA is essentially that universe. Although it is something. Perhaps more meaningful is the prestige of being in the DJIA. That could influence active fund managers, stock analysts and bond rating services. Not to mention potential buyers of Tesla products.
You mean... we have to learn all the rules and go through this... again?

Kevin is actually quite bullish on Tesla. He’s said it’s actually his largest holding. And he has a huge following. He has an interesting way of dispelling FUD, without alienating the “non-believers”; he’s quite conservative with his numbers, but that’s not a terrible thing me thinks. And he drives a model 3, and often talks about how great it is...in a not so condescending way.

ex-mod: We're all happy that we made lots of money. But we don't need to be talking about how much we made in this thread. Please stop. --ggr
Maybe discussing how we will use some of our profits to help underserved communities? Let’s not forget there are a LOT of people hurting right now.
Remember to pay it forward this holiday season!

TSLA is now listed in the VOO:

And here is how the holdings that make up 1-unit have changed: (Only the top 12 shown below)

View attachment 619110

According to my analysis (which could be completely wrong since I'm doing it on my phone and using my memory transferring numbers from yahoo finance to calculator app), VOO has bought somewhere between 90-91% of the shares they need of TSLA.

Edit: comparison to FB using yahoo finance market caps, which @Artful Dodger has determined does not account for the extra $5b issued, results in about 5.3% shares still need to be bought for VOO

Edit 2: adding in the $5b for issued stock, I'm getting 6.04% of shares that still need to be bought.

Last edited:
There used to be prestige associated with being in the Dow. Just like being the best ICE car used to have some prestige associated with that. Nowadays both are the sort of thing only your mom brags about.

I find it highly unlikely that the 60 million shares worth $41 Billion dollars that were traded in the after hours session was merely a ruse to trick retail investors, when there is a far far simpler and obvious reason for that level of trading (index funds buying what they need)

Does the Street try to spoof the market (and not just retail)? Hmm, you tell me.

Would it be easy for the Street to rack up big numbers of trades without actually expending much money? Yes, I expect so.

Is that what I think is happening here? Not perhaps so much. It was just a simple example.

Does it stretch credulity to think that 60 million unique and actual shares have been bought solely by index funds in the AH because that is the number of trades? Without a doubt.

Reactions: T@oo and FireMedic
TSLA is now listed in the VOO:

And here is how the holdings that make up 1-unit have changed: (Only the top 12 shown below)

View attachment 619110

I can't seem to find anything online myself, but this seems to imply VOO has all the TSLA it needs?

Did some quick math:

AAPL's weight in VOO yesterday was 6.44% yesterday according to etfdb.com.
That means it's updated weight should be ~6.30%: (6.44% * 4365 / 4455)

Taking the ratio of the $ value of the TSLA to the $ value of AAPL, multiplied by AAPL's new weight, should give us TSLAs weight?
(207 * $695) / (4365 * $126.65) * 6.30% ~= 1.64%

Which sounds right given the share price of TSLA.

It all depends on whether the huge AH volume - 56 mln shares so far - is index funds buying (will they do that after missing the closing cross?) or benchmark funds buying.

One thing is for sure, today the SEC pocketed a *sugar* tonne of fees:

"The Securities and Exchange Commission today announced that starting on April 16, 2019, the fee rates applicable to most securities transactions will be set at $20.70 per million dollars." - Mar 12, 2019"​

Yeah, so that's about $3.1M in SEC fees today.. "Thanks, Elon"

Cheers!

I can't seem to find anything online myself, but this seems to imply VOO has all the TSLA it needs?

Did some quick math:

AAPL's weight in VOO yesterday was 6.44% yesterday according to etfdb.com.
That means it's updated weight should be ~6.30%: (6.44% * 4365 / 4455)

Taking the ratio of the $ value of the TSLA to the $ value of AAPL, multiplied by AAPL's new weight, should give us TSLAs weight?
(207 * $695) / (4365 * $126.65) * 6.30% ~= 1.64%

Which sounds right given the share price of TSLA.

I did this comparison with FB using yahoo market caps as a baseline to compare to and concluded that about 5% of shares still need to be bought.

I did this comparison with FB using yahoo market caps as a baseline to compare to and concluded that about 5% of shares still need to be bought.

Just caught that, you posted while I was furiously calculating away. Either way, whether it's 95% or 100%, both are much more than one might have wanted to conclude based on the size of the ~CLOSING CROSS~.

It does make me wonder if maybe the likes of IVV, SPY and VOO did get in their full orders (or the vast majority, as you said) at the $695 price. And maybe the gap (70m vs 130m) can be explained by smaller, less rigidly-tracking-error-sensitive funds may have accumulated through the day, AH, or even throughout next week.