Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you specify share lots for selling cover calls? I like to keep my $30 vs $480s cost that I bought recently.

Yes... though how easily depends on your broker.

over at ML for example if I get assigned I have to physically call a human on the phone to do this like some kind of caveman.

(You can select specific tax lots online if initiating a sell of shares, but have to go the phone route when assigned on options)

I've heard rumors a few futuristic advanced brokerages allow picking tax lots online for assigned options though.

• Love
Reactions: ggr and EnzoXYZ
Just. Why?

You doing Black Friday shopping today? If not, I don’t get your logic even a teeny bit. You’re ‘hoping’ to get them back by EOD? Why not just keep them at SOD and then no ‘hope’ is required. Clearly it’s not ‘fine’ or you wouldn’t be ‘hoping’.
Got a serious case of FOMO, but fixed it + $1.
Never say Never.

upload_2020-11-27_10-39-40.png

Thanks for this suggestion. I cancelled the CC. Furthermore, I hope it wasn’t a mistake, but I just sold 200 sh at $522. I had the order set for 525, then changed it after the first pull back. Damn, it would have hit at 525.:( I’m still long, and this was a “hopefully” strategic sell to free up capital for buying a bunch of calls on Friday. Thanks to Oil4AsphaultOnly for suggesting that this technique is more bullish (instead of selling a OTM CC at 600 or 700 strike). I’m hoping for another pullback this Friday, where I will redeploy this cash into buying some calls. Suggestions for strikes and exp? The 12/24 545c that I bought last Friday are up 40% today. I might pile into some more of those or try the week before or later. Hmmmmmm.
Seems like everyone who’s posted their trades this week are on track to lose money:

1. soulpedl sold this morning hoping for a cheaper price this afternoon
2. Gabe sold $570 CCs expiring today
3. Reddyleaf sold earlier this week at $520 hoping for a lower price today.

Lesson of the day: HODL!
Well, I’m still here and doing ok. Thanks for asking. I was planning to update my post after close today, but I’m done trading so here’s my confession: Yes, I absolutely missed picking today’s trading. I hope nobody followed my trade. There were four disagrees to my post, so the wisdom of the crowd was definitely correct.

As I said, I was all in on TSLA stock, and wanted to free up some cash to buy calls. My mistake was not the actually selling of the stock, it was not buying options at the same time. I’m new to options and I thought that I had to wait 3 days for settlement before using the money. I’m straight now after re-reading the free riding warning that pops up on my trading platform and getting some advice in the newbie options trading thread.

Today I bought back in with shares (yes, about $70 higher) and various short and long term options. I also sold ITM Jan23 & Sep22 calls and then bought some similar, but OTM calls. I’ve learned my lesson about waiting 3 days. Unfortunately, I cannot roll forward in a single trade on my platform and can only put in limit orders, so they take some time to execute.

I definitely left some real money on the table this week, but it’s nothing compared to my decades long reluctance about buying individual stocks over mutual funds. I knew about TSLA in 2010 and refused to buy, even joking that “there was no way I would sit on top of 9000 laptop batteries.” In 2014 a friend bragged about paying for his European summer vacation by selling TSLA, and I still didn’t commit. Battery day was my catalyst and now I’m pretty much all in in my IRA’s. My unrealized gains are enough to buy a new roadster and a cybertruck, so I’m happy with the current situation, though looking forward to Teslanaire status. I’m planning to return much of those gains to Tesla in the future when I’m able to access my retirement accounts. Unfortunately, my 401(k) doesn’t allow trading unless I roll to an IRA. I’m using that as an excuse so I don’t blow everything on options. Worst case, I can live off of the 401(k) mutual funds.

if anyone has more insight or thoughts on this (Potential BRK position), I'd be appreciative. There was some chatter on this topic about a week ago, then things went mostly quiet.

It was noted in a quarterly filing (13-F), and I heard some speculation it would be revealed in the following one, which if true I assume means a couple months yet.

Right before the bottom of the hour, CNBC felt the need to mention the minor Tesla recall. For any other company, such a recall would be a non-event. I get that Tesla is high profile, but does seem odd to mention, especially when the timing of the mention by CNBC is taken into account. TSLA saw about a $6 decline right after the CNBC mention.
Did they compare to the recent GM recall of 6M vehicles for airbag explosion potential? Funny how that works...

if anyone has more insight or thoughts on this (Potential BRK position), I'd be appreciative. There was some chatter on this topic about a week ago, then things went mostly quiet.
Among several others, Rob discussed it in one of his videos and Gary Black addressed it in Twitter.

After much foam and lather when speculation first started, the strong consensus was BRK's mystery position is probably not in TSLA. I think we'll have to wait at least 2-3 months to find out.