Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1319713084613652480

I found this video to be one of the most impressive. Complex intersection with cars on opposing side turning in front of the car while the car knows that no one is going straight so it proceeds to turn itself. Also lots of traffic on the streets and yet the car navigated it's way through.

That's not all. It let him set FSD speed to 54 mph on a 40 mph 8-lane urban street and the car proceeded to zip through yellow lights and speed by adjacent traffic.

Probably because I'm naive and have spend all my life in North America, I had never seen the different use of commas and periods until I joined this forum. Sigh, I wish the world could agree on standards for all, especially the use of metric ( which I learned at an early age because of repairing motorcycles).

One thing that still amazed me is how there are three different measuring method on tires:. Wheel size in inches, tire width in millimeters, and height in percentage (at least in NA). Bizzare...

I've always thought tyres are bizzare too, same in the UK and I think even in Europe, which is really odd as I don't think most Euro. countries ever used inches as we did!

Well, I'm ashamed to admit that I sold some TSLA today.

I needed the money to buy some TSLA LEAPs. ;) I mean come on. We just came off a near perfect quarter during a global pandemic, battery day shows the growth to complete dominance, and FSD looks as good as promised. On top of all that a blue wave that might really boost solar, EVs, and home efficiency looks likely.
Yes, I sold my highest cost basis stock and turned it into twice as much exposure in at-the-money Jan '22 LEAPS and Feb '21 $445 calls.

These FSD videos are mind blowing when you consider how far we have come in just 15 short years

darpa_cars.jpg

No, I did not say it was worse than an OEM nor did I say you said that. :rolleyes:

Sorry brevity did me in. The long version reads ‘I did not say that. You said that I said that (This sentence written by me as ‘you did.’)’

And yeah, you did imply that I said that with your response.

Humbling? Can not laugh any harder. Somebody made a mistake? Sure.
Does that person even still work for Tesla? Unknown.
Will it be fixed in future iterations of the car as soon as it’s identified and a solution discovered? Duh. I guarantee that’s a whole lot faster than OEMs.

If it is not humbling then one is engaging in behaviors that lead to hubris. How could a recall not be humbling? I am sure Musk would agree. He has been down that road before.

I would not advocate the dismissal of the people involved as a rule. Do not even know if anyone here is truly at fault.

Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that Tesla will deal and has already dealt with this in a superior fashion than the OEMs can.

Is it a big deal? Absolutely not in the scheme of things.
Does it make Tesla like every other OEM? (Which is exactly what you said) No.

Exactly what I said was: ‘But recalls based on cruddy manufacturing...well that makes Tesla like every other OEM. Not a good look.‘

Your truncated version reads that I dismiss Tesla overall as now another OEM. No.

And yet recalls based on cruddy manufacturing....this is an OEM thing to do. As long as Tesla owns it we can leave it behind.

The post I responded to originally made it sound like the recall was a good thing as they got to go bargain shopping. I disagree. Recalls, although predictable, are always unacceptable. I got to bargain shop as well, maybe because of the recall, but I HATE seeing this stuff. My expectations of Tesla do not allow for mediocrity. If they ever do, I hope I am smart enough to exit gracefully.

Let’s find some common ground shall we?

1) Tesla issued a recall.
2) It is not a big deal.

BTW, I love that you are picking a fight with me! It means you like me, you really like me!

• Funny
Reactions: mickificki
Is it wrong for people to say FSD should more closely mimic human driving?

I suppose Tesla could make it more human like if that's what people demand. There could even be economic benefits. Let's see, how about during easy sections of highway driving without much going on, Tesla could reduce the attention FSD applies to the task at hand and think about other things. It could use the extra compute operations to mine bitcoins when it feels full attention is not required. Think of the profit! This lack of attention would mimic distracted driving and bring the accident rate more in line with human drivers. The simulation would be complete!

Tesla could just feed some movies to the Dojo machine - Driving Miss Daisy, Thelma and Louise etc. Then you could just select your preferred driving style from a drop down.

I've always thought tyres are bizzare too, same in the UK and I think even in Europe, which is really odd as I don't think most Euro. countries ever used inches as we did!

In my country - Norway - we used inches and feet - or rather tommer and fot. But then we learned something new and better I guess. And were early adopters and not ICE laggards. :p

I mean, it's obvious that FSD is actually working but the software is very early still. But the only way to get good real world data is to drive in the real world. Depending on the pace of learning, FSD will be able to work without constant intervention a lot sooner than we think.

That's not all. It let him set FSD speed to 54 mph on a 40 mph 8-lane urban street and the car proceeded to zip through yellow lights and speed by adjacent traffic.
Everyone knows that green means go, yellow means go faster, red means stop. FSD is driving exactly like a human would.

Some Friday humor for y'all...have a great weekend and hope Rocket Mondays come back :)

View attachment 601739
This isn't a joke to me and it's not funny at all.

I know this isn't real because Teslas have never had headphone jacks, going all the way back to the original 2012 Model S. In fact Teslas only support AAC over Bluetooth, no AptX or LDAC, which means for the longest time you could only get get decent quality Bluetooth audio from a Tesla's sound system out of an iPhone.

Android didn't add native AAC support until Android 8.0, so anyone who used an Android and owned a Tesla in the early years had absolutely god f**king awful sound quality because they could only output to a Tesla using the sh**y quality SBC. I remember when I got my original Model S back in 2017, I was stuck listening to music over SBC until I upgraded my phone.

Even today it is still extremely dodgy on Android just how good the AAC output is. Some Androids still have relatively poor quality AAC output, whereas iPhones always output the best quality AAC. This link has more information about that if you actually care:
The ultimate guide to Bluetooth headphones: AAC only acceptable on Apple phones

I've seen the report this morning. It's 10 complains but I disagree with the most part.

They don't have to blur the faces and plates to comply with the law and I believe their justification is faulty.

As a fall-back position, Tesla could of course, and easily do that if needed.

To give an example. A driver was blocking me intentionally on an Autobahn and I gave the video to the police which was very happy to have them and even asked if I have a video with the face of the driver.

No doubt after the Autopilot naming issue and the NCAP rating that the German industry would happily support any case against AP and that in particular after the beta version is showing how superior AP is.

I guess its a super gray zone in the GDPR law then. While I was working for the Autonomous services for Daimler, we were advised by the lawyers to do this processing before we could collect data

Reactions: saniflash
In this video by TesLatino, you can see that FSD Beta is even slowing down for speed bumps! Driving starts at around the 1:55 mark...

I’m surprised that it works in the rain too. It doesn’t even seem to be bothered by it.

The % of TSLA in my portfolio is already too high but I bought a fee shares today. However, having seen more of these demo videos, I will certainly have to buy some more on Monday.

It doesn’t happen to everyone, but it does happen to many. If not now, eventually, it can. Just go over on the S and X forums, even Raven models are affected. If yours becomes affected, just hope that it happens while you are still under warranty or there is a recall. Otherwise, the fix is in the thousands of dollars. (Contrary to what a previous poster said about the Chinese recall only costing about $30M).

ETA: not trying to make the situation worse than it reads. Just want to point out that many owners in the US have been experiencing problems.

I have been on the S forum since I joined in January 2018 and have participated in many of the discussion threads there. In my experience, the same usual suspects have made it a point to spread negativity throughout - almost like a vendetta against Tesla because they were not happy about one thing or another.

IMHO, buy or don’t buy with eyes wide open and don’t blame anyone but yourself if the outcome is not to your liking. Too many people spend too much time blaming others for their own actions.

I’m surprised that it works in the rain too. It doesn’t even seem to be bothered by it.

The % of TSLA in my portfolio is already too high but I bought a fee shares today. However, having seen more of these demo videos, I will certainly have to buy some more on Monday.

I.... I bought shares.

How many?... Too much.

I've been reading the comments on non-ev or tesla sites today, to see what people think about the FSD rollout. It seems to be VERY common, that people are dismissive, because they assume its a 'neat party trick' because its 'in a limited, controlled environment'. I dont think people realize these are NOT tesla-made videos, that they are NOT done on HD-mapped routes, and that yes, it seems to work at night, in the rain, or during the day, on pretty much any road.

its going to be weeks before people realize whats going on here, and frankly I expect tesla to update the software to be even better before people actually even realize how good it is now.

Even if it does not persuade any investors to put new money into autonomy, its going to persuade a lot of people that the money they are betting on waymo, uber...everybody else should really be swapped for TSLA stock.

Autopilot has worked in the rain forever now. But any vision based system will steadily degrade the harder it rains, so there is a threshold where Autopilot will disengage once the rain is blinding the cameras enough. This will also be true for FSD, and it remains to be seen if there will ever be a self-driving system that can actually drive while mostly blinded. Humans are good at driving in extremely adverse conditions like blinding rain or blizzards, we have not yet been able to prove computers can successfully figure it out.