Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA dropped 5% on privacy concerns: Verstößt Tesla systematisch gegen Datenschutzregeln?
Couldn't resist - bought the dip. Not advice.

That's a FUD report although I believe not intentionally.

When Elon arrived in Germany, Berlin at the CDU/CSU Fraction Meeting he was asked at the entrance by a journalist if the vehicle transfers pictures and videos to the USA, and Elon decline and said "No, thats not true"

The German media is claiming now the vehicles do transfer huge loads of data which is correct but they mix it with the expectation it to be videos from people driving and streets which is only the case if the owner explicitly agrees to comply with the EU regulations. On top of that, the journalist also seems not to know the EU data protection law which gives US companies the right to use data if owners agree to it and if they don't, the data can still be used if there is no connection between the data and people that are related. If no connection can be made data can of course be transferred and used.

IOW, some journalists wrote something without understanding the matter at all and now claim a violation of data protection rules. Normal citizen interpret something completely wrong into it as most don't know details too.

Even the so-called experts are with what they said put into a wrong context supporting a false narrative.

Nothing to worry but a good buy opportunity right before battery day.

upload_2020-9-17_20-8-53.png

Listen bro, I race. And I have experienced first hand that I cannot take even my P3D to the track and pound it hard all day.

The guys with Porsche's in our group go and drive for HOURS with no issues (STOCK cars, not modded for extra cooling).

This is simply a well-known fact. Tesla's are GREAT for occasionally hitting it from a stop light, some 1/4 mile runs, etc.

If you want to really pound the crap out of them, be prepared for limp mode in the Performance S and some power reduction in the performance 3.

Facts are facts.

If improving batteries in cost, durability and range is gonna lose Tesla a handful of racing customers, it's still a genius move.
Sorry but the mission is more important than races. Buy a Porsche.

If improving batteries in cost, durability and range

Improving batteries in cost,durability and range doesn't harm Tesla at the track.

In lieu of paid advertisements Tesla really needs Halo vehicles.

It may be that Tesla is unconcerned with providing a Best in Class performance vehicle in the sub $100k market and concentrate efforts on Plaid S X and beat all comers with Roadster 2.0 SpaceX Package.

Roadster with SpaceX package will definitely beat anything with an ICE and maybe even Rimac's $2M Concept 2 for an eighth of the price.

ACEA: "Over the first eight months of 2020, EU demand for passenger cars contracted by 32.0%. In total, 6,123,852 new cars were registered across the European Union from January to August, almost 2.9 million less than during the same period last year."

Passenger car registrations: -32.0% eight months into 2020; -5.7% in July and -18.9% in August | ACEA - European Automobile Manufacturers' Association

PDF with more details:
https://www.acea.be/uploads/press_releases_files/20200917_PRPC_2007-08_FINAL.pdf

As expected, it doesn't look good for the traditional (European)car manufacturer. The are selling a third(!) less cars in Europe.

Weird, the article says the following (Google translate):

Indeed, Tesla officially states that it intends to use the data to "increase the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns and the operation and expansion of our business".

I can't imagine that coming from Tesla directly.

*sigh*
They picked some general statements from the legal pages that refer to possible use of personal data and applied them to the video streams that get uploaded on demand for machine learning. And conveniently missed to mention that users can opt out (Privacy & Legal | Tesla). I asked Hanlon whether someone can be so dumb but haven't heard back yet.

On top of that, the journalist also seems not to know the EU data protection law which gives US companies the right to use data if owners agree to it and if they don't, the data can still be used if there is no connection between the data and people that are related.

according to GDPR (DSGVO), the video/photo of people (e.g., pedestrians) are definitely PII (personally identifiable information). Many lawyers would argue that license plates should also be considered PII as well.

If that data is to be used, the person to whom the PII relates would need to make the consent, not the owner of the vehicle which records them.

If Tesla blurs people & license plates with state of the art technology (e.g. a skeleton detector that anyone can download and use for free), this is a non-issue.

Source: My company does video analytics and this is our daily bread.

edit: see @avoigt's and my additional post below. conclusion is the same but reason is different

Last edited:
according to GDPR (DSGVO), the video/photo of people (e.g., pedestrians) are definitely PII (personally identifiable information). Many lawyers would argue that license plates should also be considered PII as well.

If that data is to be used, the person to whom the PII relates would need to make the consent, not the owner of the vehicle which records them.

If Tesla blurs people & license plates with state of the art technology (e.g. a skeleton detector that anyone can download and use for free), this is a non-issue.

Source: My company does video analytics and this is our daily bread.

That's incorrect.

It does not matter if people can be identified in videos or pictures. What matters is what you do with that data. Please read the law! Lawyers and judges did decide on similar cases already a few times.

Tesla can use that data for its internal use as long as they don't share pictures where people can be identified with any 3rd party and deal with the data internally according to the law.

I had many sessions including training a.o. with lawyers having worked with big data for 15 years and there is no need to blur and data or license plate if Tesla act like I described. Only people not familiar with the law and cases would claim so.

That's incorrect.

It does not matter if people can be identified in videos or pictures. What matters is what you do with that data. Please read the law! Lawyers and judges did decide on similar cases already a few times.

Tesla can use that data for its internal use as long as they don't share pictures where people can be identified with any 3rd party and deal with the data internally according to the law.

I had many sessions including training a.o. with lawyers having worked with big data for 15 years and there is no need to blur and data or license plate if Tesla act like I described. Only people not familiar with the law and cases would claim so.

We were running a data collection Autonomous fleet for a German OEM in Berlin and the instructions to us were simple. The data can be handled with 3rd party ONLY and ONLY if the faces and License plates were blurred and that the cars carried marketing information on them that enabled people to look us up online.

I agree with Saniflesh. However, avoigt you might be right as well, since these laws are not so well thought out

That's incorrect.

Which article of the GDPR states that?

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – Official Legal Text

Edit: also, Answer to Question No P-000591/18

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the Roadrunner cells will go in the Y just as soon or sooner than Plaid S and X? If the point of the Roadrunner is cheaper, faster, better why would that not immediately go in the car you are planning on selling the most of? Plaid won’t sell the volume that is the reason for Roadrunner, and the semi and cyber are 6+ months away.

We were running a data collection Autonomous fleet for a German OEM in Berlin and the instructions to us were simple. The data can be handled with 3rd party ONLY and ONLY if the faces and License plates were blurred and that the cars carried marketing information on them that enabled people to look us up online.

I agree with Saniflesh. However, avoigt you might be right as well, since these laws are not so well thought out

Exactly what "Third Party" would Tesla be using here?

As far as I can tell, this is yet another example of how Tesla's vertical integration places if far, far ahead of others . . . .

For us long-term investors this feels like a potential FUD attack--which could lead to another opportunity to buy TSLA "On Sale!" today?

Only people not familiar with the law and cases would claim so.
ask 2 lawyers and you get 3 different opinions :rolleyes:

you are right @avoigt and I was wrong.

I just looked it up, Tesla is certified against US-EU Privacy shield so everything is fine: Privacy Shield. They can transfer PII between EU and US as long as the

processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller

Art. 6 GDPR - Lawfulness of processing - GDPR.eu

--> conclusion is the same, nothingburger

ask 2 lawyers and you get 3 different opinions :rolleyes:

you are right @avoigt and I was wrong.

I just looked it up, Tesla is certified against US-EU Privacy shield so everything is fine anyway Privacy Shield. They can transfer PII between EU and US as long as it's

Art. 6 GDPR - Lawfulness of processing - GDPR.eu

--> conclusion is the same, nothingburger

That is not enough https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2020-07/cp200091en.pdf

Edit:

The regulator chose to go to court instead, raising wider concerns about the legality of EU-US data transfer arrangements — which resulted in the CJEU concluding that the Commission should not have granted the US a so-called ‘adequacy agreement’, thus pulling the rug out from under Privacy Shield.

The decision means the US is now what’s considered a ‘third country’ in data protection terms, with no special arrangement to enable it to process EU users’ information.
via EU websites’ use of Google Analytics and Facebook Connect targeted by post-Schrems II privacy complaints – TechCrunch