Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm out. It's been a great ride. Left a lot of money on the table the last few weeks by selling off most of my position too early. The govt. will be taking 1/3 of my gains too. It hurts to be selling.

The final blow for me was the recent trading in LCDX. The ticker looks like Lucid Motors but it isn't. My friend had a position in it knowing that they don't make cars but counting on enough people being confused to jack the price up higher (even after a 300% run). When people are buying because things are going up I get scared. When people don't even know the ticker symbol of what they're buying I get really scared. I never buy anything I wouldn't be happy to hold for ten years. Right now, at a price of 420B, I wouldn't be a buyer of TSLA.

I appreciate all the analysis provided on this board over the last year. Without it, the terrific gains I made would not have been possible. (People joke about buying islands, but I move into my Rocky Mountain paradise next Friday.) So thank you again for all the help understanding what I still believe is one of the best companies in the world. Given the right price, I'll be back.
Remember, the sustainable energy revolution is likely to be well underway upon your return, so you'll have to come back as 'captelectric'. :D

I personally tend to find barrel-aged a bit heavy going, but I'm not you, enjoy!
Well, somebody has to do the heavy lifting!

Speaking of which, waiting for more of you to take some profit. Sold off some mutual funds that were in the back corner of the closet, covered in cobwebs. It was their time to go.

I fully believe there are a lot of folks waiting for the split, and they just can't justify over $1K per, let alone of $2K (yes, I know, don't question their lack of judgment here.) The thing is, there are a lot of them, and it adds up. Hopefully by now, seeing where TSLA is today, they've done some homework and are just w.a.i.t.i.n.g to jump in. Fun times ahead. :)

Seems unlikely before the split, yeah?

It appears that the dividend shares (stock split) will be distributed after the close of trading today. The split shares are supposed to start trading on Monday.

Tesla Announces a Five-for-One Stock Split | Tesla, Inc.

Excerpt:

Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020. Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020.

Last edited:
Honestly even 2150 would not surprise me. It looks very weak, needs some buyers otherwise we will lose our next key support level around 2185.

Edit: Let me remind everyone that we are only down 1% from yesterday’s close.

Bounced off the 2185 support two times, now let’s see if anything crazy happens in the last hour. I think they pin this at 2200.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
My real question for options.... does all the volatility go away after today? This split is the big thing that I am guessing is driving the IV.... isn't it? What else could it be? Sure it might be SP inclusion but that is part of today too. If there is no announcement after hours then it seems to me the wait is longer than everyone was expecting. If one has sold options and IV drops Monday, that means easy money.

My real question for options.... does all the volatility go away after today?

giphy.gif

I see that the strike is deep ITM.
However, with several events before end of October (3 months before Jan 2021), and IV likely going up a bit further, you don't seem to value the leverage (move % as against stock) making the risk/reward worth it?

Would you hold if the strikes were ATM or a little OTM?

I would have held longer if the strike price wasn't an odd number after the split. But with the recent run up, I'm ok with reducing leverage on a portion of my Tesla portfolio. We're probably all measuring options profits as factors instead of percentages, so reducing leverage by 1/3 isn't a big concern.

Closing the entire position instead 1/3 and exercising 2/3 was the big mistake. Missed out on the opportunity to defer taxes on 2/3 of the amount and change taxes on the 2/3 from short term to long term.

I've known this was coming but the reality of it just hit me with your post. No AH today. No TL0 teaser late Sunday. No pre-market Monday monrning.

A complete, cold turkey blackout one hour from now until Monday's opening.

Sigh! :(
yes I was making that a subject to be questioned several times this week. And all I got was, "No. That's normal." I bought in premarket so for the day I am screwed. My hope hangs on the pop for Monday/Tuesday to get me back to even.
The worst three stock days of my life; the time out while the stock goes up 8% and the day I can buy back in it drops whatever it drops AFTER I bought back in slightly below $2300....
And then all the "FUD" coming from board members today.... You guys have not been very fun today?
MONDAY!!!!!