Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened to my Model X roof glass yesterday must have been a sign for things to come today: TSLA going through the roof :rolleyes:

View attachment 577482

Btw. Mobile service on the way. Very early production Model X, out of warranty, but somehow I’m more than happy to pay Tesla Service for this repair :D
I love when you have to send a picture when requesting service. THAT is a doozie!

• Funny
Reactions: CyberDutchie
this-is-tesla-5988c5eb0c.jpg

Our friend Adam :p

What all these analysts don't get is what Cathie Wood of Arkinvest said when TSLA was stuck in a range for many years; "the longer it's stuck in the range the bigger the breakout."

Well, solar power, EVs and Batteries have been stuck in a range since the 1970s,
even before they took down the solar panels on the White House. The oil companies have been putting out the FUD for a long time and are well versed in misinformation, disinformation, and lies. The oil companies have stifled innovation that could have been put into EVs and solar, the same innovation that is an inherent fact of life.
People want EVs, and Tesla has proved a product that is more than viable, and will soon be at cost parity with ICE vehicles.

it does seem like Jonas gets what "Roadrunner" means. The ability for Tesla to provide their own unrestricted supply of batteries, and for each battery that is produced, it makes it more and more unfeasible to invest any $$ in oil and gas companies. So where u gonna invest that $$??

No more battery constraint for Tesla means they can take the lid off Semi production, and maybe one day they will be so unconstrained that they might even feel the need to advertise.

I put myself into an entirely avoidable but entertaining predicament last week where I was bored of the wait for battery day and down about my ER option play, so I sold a 18-Sep Call @ $1980 and still have one for 18-Sep @ $2000. There's a $20 window until 18-Sep where things get dicey for me.

It adds some spice to my normal Buy n' Hold strategy, but is a more expensive adventure than I'd hoped for. I find that every year or so, I need a hefty financial reminder as to why I needn't play with Options. Seems to be working pretty well.

The financial relationship / manager fellow that Fidelity assigned to my account, and my wife, spent time earlier this year talking about how risky Tesla was and how we should lock in those gains and deploy into something more diversified and less risky. I wanted to explain how everything else looked amazingly risky, and that Tesla was about the only safe place I could see putting our money at that time.

So we stayed put, as we have for ~8 years.

I don't bother trying to explain it to most people. And my wife drives our Model X and Roadster, so she's got the product side of my investment thesis well understood. Beyond that, she trusts me.

For the financial advisor, I listen to the other stuff and he just has to deal with the fact that I'm not diversified.

I expect we'll be having a detailed retirement conversation in the next few weeks, where I expect him to again make the class for more / better diversification. I might, but probably won't, try to explain how Tesla is the least risky place I see to have investments right now. Maybe even safer than US Treasuries (and maybe not).

I don't understand how others can not get it too.

Everytime they say "diversification," I hear "diworsification." A Peter Lynch term.

To be fair to them, it's drilled into their heads in school and at their companies. The idea is that spreading your money across all investments is a safe way to grow them because as a whole the country's/world's economies are growing. That's why Warren Buffett says most people should just buy the S&P 500 and sit tight. But, that means you're always buying stuff that will go down.

What I don't like about it is that when you find those companies that will continue to experience rapid growth, you need to jump on them. Wasting an Amazon or Tesla at 3% of your portfolio is criminal.

But, what's really bad about this is that people who want to be risk adverse are actually taking on more risk than they have tolerance for. Like buying stock in the one company that's been in the S&P since 1896 - GE. Or someone I chatted with whose Mom is living off of dividends from oil & gas stocks. Now the dividends are reduced or gone and the stock prices are down a lot, so moving into other investments is difficult.

There are some fund managers that break this diversity mold. Renaissance Technologies & ARK Invest are two that come to mind (both have lots of TSLA right now).