Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As noted by a few here already, it's almost as if people are just now realizing TSLA is an American manufacturer.

Not only are they an American manufacturer, they are filling up buildings abandoned by traditional manufacturers as they shrink their footprint. These are buildings that otherwise might go vacant. My Model 3 Performance is nearing the 2 year old mark and has never needed service. Last week I took it into the new Lynnwood, WA service center for the first time to get the new Ver. 3 computer installed (replacing the old Nvidia chip) at zero cost to me.

Here is the Google street view of what is now a thriving Tesla Delivery/Service center, the third one in the Seattle area. Last year it said "GMC" and was rather sleepy, now it says "Tesla" and is buzzing with new Teslas.

upload_2020-7-24_11-26-19.png

I don't even live in the US but I've been to Austin probably 20 times and been in every bar and music venue in town. Of which there are sooooo many. Don't think I've ever seen linedancing. C'mon folks, it's not freakin' Nashville.

I mean I'm sure it exists but it is so far from the type of music Austin is known for that linedancers would be very atypical.

Elon might be a genius but he has not ever made any comment that shows that he knows anything about music. Despite his girlfriend.
Grimes needs to take him to Sixth Street :p

I was one of the six. There was too much optimism on the board. Just look at the poll.

And yet I failed to capitalize on my prediction in my short term account. As I already stated, being correct and executing successfully are two different things in trading stocks. Maybe I need to reconsider my rules against buying TSLA puts.

Not complaining. Tesla is awesome and so is this forum.

There's been a lot of scoffing at this headline, but I think most have missed the essential psychology at work. This is Audi, so they aren't saying "Audi's production vehicles are two years behind Tesla's". That isn't how Audi thinks.

No, we should read this as "Audi's PowerPoint vehicles are two years behind Tesla's production vehicles".

And that's about right.

The insurance industry is quite powerful. I suspect anti-trust objections will be successfully raised which will force Tesla to release their driver data to other insurers. Of course, this won't matter because the entire point of going into insurance was to make the cost of insuring a Tesla competitive with other brands.

I believe Tesla could give away the data without too much of a disadvantage. I think Tesla‘s primary advantage will be in smart processing of the data in order to best predict who are the riskiest drivers. Another insurance company, might just base it on high acceleration events, when things like tailgating, aggressive driving, too many lane changes, slow reactions to events, clumsy cornering... are all far better predictors. There’s hardly anything dangerous at all in doing very quick accelerations on a deserted road.

‘Even better, Tesla knows what choices the drivers make that vary greatly with AP shadow mode decisions.

Another tool would be monitoring the driver’s eyes with opt-in, but who knows how that will play out with privacy...

Probably not that impactful, to be honest. The MAGA base is pretty pathetic in terms of overall population (and its shrinking), probably under 20% of the country (see this CNN article for a breakdown on that). They're much louder than they are numerous, and many of them likely aren't affluent enough to afford a Tesla anyways.

Not a market demographic that's going to be especially profitable. Plus, as the President has shown, doing what it takes to galvanize their support has the unfortunate side-effect of unifying rather a lot of opposition.

I'm most certainly going to put a MAGA decal on my Cybertruck based on this comment. I might even put one on my Model 3, right beside my DEPLORABLE decal. What am I going to purchase with my TSLA shares once I sell them? An off-grid farm powered by solar and powerwalls. With a big American flag flying loud and proud over the cornfields. Then when my other MAGA friends who come over for BBQ (who also own Tesla's and have Cybertrucks on order) they can park and charge off clean renewable energy from the sun, because why purchase fuel from foreign nations who act hostile to our country? But for now now I'll just keep working 55+ hour weeks at my business (which is powered by solar energy and is looking to purchase a Tesla Semi) so that I can afford to keep investing in TSLA.

You see, we all come from different places and have different views on life. You'd be surprised at who people really are when you view them without politically tainted glasses.

I think Tesla‘s primary advantage will be in smart processing of the data in order to best predict who are the riskiest drivers. Another insurance company, might just base it on high acceleration events, when things like tailgating, aggressive driving, too many lane changes, slow reactions to events, clumsy cornering... are all far better predictors. There’s hardly anything dangerous at all in doing very quick accelerations on a deserted road.

Another tool would be monitoring the driver’s eyes with opt-in, but who knows how that will play out with privacy...

Two thoughts.

First, given they've collected enough data on crash activity up to this point, they don't need to define unsafe driving. They can find historical incidents of major and minor accidents, and back-trace the driver's behavior a few weeks or a few months before the crash. Feed the prior behavior of drivers who eventually got into accidents into a neural network along with the behavior of drivers who have never, and you've got an automatic classifier of risky behavior.

Second, everyone was a little bit baffled about Tesla collecting cabin-camera data in the event of a crash with recent firmware updates. I don't think anyone has yet speculated that they're planning on using this cabin-camera data for insurance.

EDIT: P.S. thoughts: If Tesla does go down this black-box algorithm approach, they will need to be very careful about exactly what data is fed into the neural network. If you input GPS coordinates, all of a sudden you've got a system that mirrors the ZIP-code rating that traditional insurance providers use (which ends up heavily penalizing communities that live in ZIP codes with high percentages of people of color).

And here's the exact language on the Cabin Camera use: Car Safety and Security Features "This short video clip is intended to capture the few seconds before a safety event and does not include any footage from the safety event itself." Sounds like it would be perfect for identifying in-cabin risky behavior that leads to crashes.

Last edited: