Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the thing about that; does a person even care how smart or dumb they are at that stage of monetary enrichment?

Answer: Pretty sure that’s a big fat, NO - especially if you really are dumb. :D

I’m willing to accept the consequences of being stupid rich and having more money than brains. I’ll be the only one on my island, anyway. That is until my spouse insists on seeing the cat and @Unpilot starts his invasion.
I'm going to be so rich I will have a proxy army invade for me while I watch.

These EOQ dashes for "victory" are great for the occasional pop in share price. Not complaining. But it's hard to imagine that these end of qtr games don't take a toll. If the goal is the build-out of sustainable high-volume, high-quality manufacturing output with low defect rates, these seem disruptive: extra wear-and-tear on employees, and higher risk of defects.

Were it not for COVID, this quarter wouldn't have been a dash to the finish. It would have been a HUGELY profitable quarter without the need for an EOQ rush. Barring another force majeure event, this should be the last rush-to-the-finish for Tesla, I'd think.

So many ways to interpret this email. Is it break even with cars only? Have accounting already figured out all the recognizable revenue from EV credit/FSD already?

Zach: "Hey Elon, looks like we're in the green for this quarter by now."
Elon: "Great! Now let's push the guys and try to hit it out of the park, I'm really tired of this no profit if it weren't for the subsidies BS!!"

Were it not for COVID, this quarter wouldn't have been a dash to the finish. It would have been a HUGELY profitable quarter without the need for an EOQ rush. Barring another force majeure event, this should be the last rush-to-the-finish for Tesla, I'd think.

True, though they don't pull the foot off the gas pedal at Tesla. I'd think he's going to use all this cash from 2020 to build as many Giga/Tera-factories as his teams and governments can as quickly as possible. That means pipe-lining the factory development even more so than now...

Was this a last minute rally caused by the leaked letter? I just saw a huge rally for most of my stocks. So maybe this leaked letter has a minimal impact on sp.

A half hour before the close, TSLA popped upward to $1000+ with a spike in trading volume immediately after Electrek published the leak. It also participated in the jump in the macro market during the final 8 minutes of trading.

Last edited:
These EOQ dashes for "victory" are great for the occasional pop in share price. Not complaining. But it's hard to imagine that these end of qtr games don't take a toll. If the goal is the build-out of sustainable high-volume, high-quality manufacturing output with low defect rates, these seem disruptive: extra wear-and-tear on employees, and higher risk of defects.
You do realize the frenetic craziness during the last 4-5 days of each quarter is more about deliveries, not manufacturing, right?

I wonder if the analysts that cover Tesla ever get tired of being wrong.

True, though they don't pull the foot off the gas pedal at Tesla. I'd think he's going to use all this cash from 2020 to build as many Giga/Tera-factories as his teams and governments can as quickly as possible. That means pipe-lining the factory development even more so than now...
I also believe that national/state/local governments are going to be bending over backwards to get factories (and the accompanying jobs) built in their areas to shore up economic losses from COVID. Obviously this has been a horrible tragedy globally, but Tesla is poised to benefit.

Is this the first troop rallying email that has mentioned profits (or break-even *wink* *wink*) or were there others?
I'll answer my own question: I haven't read all of his email to employees, but out of all the ones that I read, this is the first time I've seen the bottom line mentioned as the goal.
I think there's a reason Elon is pushing it this time and that's because he doesn't want his employees to sell their stocks in anticipation of a bad quarter. Guess I'm still an Elon Musk fanboi.

Tesla-Heavy $4.6 Billion Actively Managed ETF Has Record Inflows

'Traders put almost $180 million into the Ark Innovation ETF (ARKK) in the five-day period ended Friday, the most since it began trading in 2014, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That was the actively managed fund’s 17th straight week of inflows.'

Inflows into ARKK means inflows into TSLA..

I'll answer my own question: I haven't read all of his email to employees, but out of all the ones that I read, this is the first time I've seen the bottom line mentioned as the goal.
I think there's a reason Elon is pushing it this time and that's because he doesn't want his employees to sell their stocks in anticipation of a bad quarter. I guess I'm still an Elon Musk fanboi.

You're right, since when did Elon ever cared about breaking even or not? They even guided for a loss during production ramps. Elon definitely have S&P 500 in mind.

Reactions: wipster

Just think of what the quarter would have been like without COVID and the shutdown.

I think there's a reason Elon is pushing it this time and that's because he doesn't want his employees to sell their stocks in anticipation of a bad quarter. Guess I'm still an Elon Musk fanboi.
If they can squeeze out a profit in this quarter that will shut down the profitability trolls forever. I agree with the sentiment that that is the goal above S&P inclusion which Elon probably doesn't care about.

Reactions: imherkimer
Was this a last minute rally caused by the leaked letter? I just saw a huge rally for most of my stocks. So maybe this leaked letter has a minimal impact on sp.
There was a 0.7% rise in the NASDAQ-100 while TSLA was up 2.4% over the same period just before the Close.

TSLA.chart.2020-06-29.png

Just wait until tomorrow when large Institutions (Pension Funds et.al) buy their 'window dressing' shares... :p

Cheers!

I wonder if the analysts that cover Tesla ever get tired of being wrong.

I also believe that national/state/local governments are going to be bending over backwards to get factories (and the accompanying jobs) built in their areas to shore up economic losses from COVID. Obviously this has been a horrible tragedy globally, but Tesla is poised to benefit.
You are never wrong if your sp target is lower, but no one takes you seriously if you are over by a dollar. Haven't you seen the Price is Right? Every wonder why so many people think "Tsla is worth a dollar"?