Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Entirely disagree. People react with shock and awe simply because they don’t think like him and they can’t conceive of the possibilities for the world’s future. It never occurs to them that everything could be looked at differently. That a person could appear to walk so audaciously through life.

I find him to be most pragmatic. It does not shock and awe me that he’d sell his homes and most possessions to put that capital to better use. Or that he’d fight for his company, his employees, and the whole country for that matter with spit and vinegar. He’s proud to be an American. Or that money is just a means to an end for him. Or that he took a puff from a blunt and declared, ‘Meh, doesn’t really do anything for me and certainly I don’t find it to be conducive to productivity.’ Or even that he sometimes has moments of overwhelming emotion.

I agree with your points. Sorry I wasn't more clear. In fact to deploy shock-and-awe effectively torto your opponent (maximize the pain) requires thorough calculation, not emotion driven.

That's the main principle behind "Blitzkrieg" used by Germany at WWII.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tim S
Did Scott actually say that? If so, do you have a link to it?

Elon Musk Lashes Out at Officials Keeping Tesla Plant Closed Over Virus

'Scott Haggerty, the county supervisor for the district in Alameda County where Tesla’s Fremont plant is located, said on Saturday that he had been confident that county health officials and Tesla executives were close to an agreement on reopening the plant on May 18. But, Mr. Haggerty said, that appeared to be unacceptable to Mr. Musk, who wanted to open the plant on May 8.

“We were working on a lot of policies and procedures to help operate that plant and quite frankly, I think Tesla did a pretty good job, and that’s why I had it to the point where on May 18, Tesla would have opened,” Mr. Haggerty said. “I know Elon knew that. But he wanted it this week.”

Mr. Haggerty said he was working to show Alameda County health officials how Tesla would handle things like screening for the virus among workers bused in from other counties. Tesla executives and health officials were also holding conference calls to discuss the details.

Things began to break down on Thursday, Mr. Haggerty said, when a Tesla executive called him and told him Mr. Musk was thinking about suing him.

“It was only a threat, and as an elected official I get threatened all the time,” Mr. Haggerty said. “It does at that point slow down conversations between my contact at the plant and myself.”

Still, it did not appear to be game over — until Mr. Musk started tweeting.

“He could have spent time enjoying his new baby and given me and my staff a couple more days and his plant would have been open on May 18,” Mr. Haggerty said. “Am I somewhat sympathetic with Tesla? Yes I am. Am I sympathetic to the way Musk is treating people? No.”

'Scott Haggerty, the county supervisor for the district in Alameda County where Tesla’s Fremont plant is located, said on Saturday that he had been confident that county health officials and Tesla executives were close to an agreement on reopening the plant on May 18. But, Mr. Haggerty said, that appeared to be unacceptable to Mr. Musk, who wanted to open the plant on May 8.

“We were working on a lot of policies and procedures to help operate that plant and quite frankly, I think Tesla did a pretty good job, and that’s why I had it to the point where on May 18, Tesla would have opened,” Mr. Haggerty said. “I know Elon knew that. But he wanted it this week.”

Mr. Haggerty said he was working to show Alameda County health officials how Tesla would handle things like screening for the virus among workers bused in from other counties. Tesla executives and health officials were also holding conference calls to discuss the details.

Things began to break down on Thursday, Mr. Haggerty said, when a Tesla executive called him and told him Mr. Musk was thinking about suing him.

“It was only a threat, and as an elected official I get threatened all the time,” Mr. Haggerty said. “It does at that point slow down conversations between my contact at the plant and myself.”

“He could have spent time enjoying his new baby and given me and my staff a couple more days and his plant would have been open on May 18,” Mr. Haggerty said. “Am I somewhat sympathetic with Tesla? Yes I am. Am I sympathetic to the way Musk is treating people? No.”

Well, that tells me everything I need to know about what was going on. Just another group of people dragging their feet, calling for committees to be put together to discuss what other committees need to be together and nobody ‘doing’.

Hope you’re enjoying your weekend, Mr. Haggerty. Nothing important going on in your county requiring you to put in any extra time or effort. :rolleyes:

Well Dr. Pan could give a date on Friday Q&A but she didn't. Then Alameda County's response were murky at best. I don't blame Elon to put more pressure on the county officials, since they move far slower than DMV.

Elon was ready to restart Fremont this week on May 4 but was told he didn't meet the criteria (from the same article):

That order allowed construction, landscaping, agricultural and other outdoor businesses to resume operations, but said that restaurants, bars or other indoor businesses “that do not permit physical distancing or have high-touch equipment” must remain closed.

“Tesla has been informed that they do not meet these criteria and must not reopen,” a spokeswoman for Alameda County, Neetu Balram, said in a statement.

When state and local orders differ, “everyone must follow the stricter restrictions,” the May 4 order said.

Looks like the issue the county had with Tesla is specific to "high-touch equipment", because physical distancing is not a problem for Tesla.

Given what Scott Haggerty said it seems like May 18 opening is the worst case scenario. That's very good news.

Huh?

Tesla isn’t waiting until the 18th or the 16th. They’re in the process of opening now. That’s the impression I’ve gotten. What makes you think they’re going to wait on Alameda County?

Mr. Haggerty sounds like a class 1 passive/aggressive jerk on a power trip. Kudos to Musk for holding his feet to the fire and letting him know he is a public servant, not royalty of his own fiefdom.

I predict that we're nearing the end of...

Pan%27s_Labyrinth.jpg

Fabulous film, highly recommended.

Perhaps local health officers would have more trust in Tesla’s ability to protect their staff and prevent further spread, if Musk hadn’t spent his time on Twitter and in employee communications making out that cv-19 was nothing to be worried about (less dangerous than driving to work), promoting a bizarre conspiracy theory that the overall societal mortality statistics were being faked, pumping fringe treatments and calling public officials “fascists”.

Elon was ready to restart Fremont this week on May 4 but was told he didn't meet the criteria (from the same article):

That order allowed construction, landscaping, agricultural and other outdoor businesses to resume operations, but said that restaurants, bars or other indoor businesses “that do not permit physical distancing or have high-touch equipment” must remain closed.

“Tesla has been informed that they do not meet these criteria and must not reopen,” a spokeswoman for Alameda County, Neetu Balram, said in a statement.

When state and local orders differ, “everyone must follow the stricter restrictions,” the May 4 order said.

Looks like the issue the county had with Tesla is specific to "high-touch equipment", because physical distancing is not a problem for Tesla.

What are you thinking is high touch equipment? I can’t think of anything except bathroom doors and what’s behind them.

Anything else I can see a work around and with extra disinfecting protocols - non-issue.

Huh?

Tesla isn’t waiting until the 18th or the 16th. They’re in the process of opening now. That’s the impression I’ve gotten. What makes you think they’re going to wait on Alameda County?

Sure, but if they don't get the court injunction and the police intervene then at least we know the date will be the 18th. I don't think that's going to happen but the market is going to be very happy to know there's a cap on how long this could drag out.

Perhaps local health officers would have more trust in Tesla’s ability to protect their staff and prevent further spread, if Musk hadn’t spent his time on Twitter and in employee communications making out that cv-19 was nothing to be worried about (less dangerous than driving to work), promoting a bizarre conspiracy theory that the overall societal mortality statistics were being faked, pumping fringe treatments and calling public officials “fascists”.

I strongly disagree with that. How would that have got them closer to their goal of having the desired amount of testing capacity? By taking this position you are saying you agree with my interpretation that the County was just dicking Tesla around out of spite. Public officials need thick skin and must remain neutral and professional. Trying to blame it on Elon is like saying you think public servants should be able to use their power to punish people they don't like.

Let's face it Californians, Fremont has really no more room to grow so future projects were going to have to go elsewhere. I don't see the plant closing up anytime soon and losing that production capability. Covid has been bad enough. Anyway someone mentioned about the stamping press being left over there from the NUMMI days. I thought when we did a tour hearing it had been brought in and took quite the effort to move and assemble it. Anyone know it's history?....

There was no press line left behind. They are worth far too much money to not sell. Indeed, they can be worth more than Tesla paid for the whole building.

The big, old press line was bought and brought in in pieces and reassembled, as were the additional new press lines.

Thanks, glad my memory wasn’t failing me!

Last edited:
Given what Tesla has said, it sounds like Monday the 11th is the worst-case scenario. ;)

9th-18th - safety training - dress rehearsals on making cars safely with all COVID-19 protocols in place, on going review of protocols.

19th onward - regular production with pre-validated protocols...

Smart decision to validate the protocols, you can't be too careful.:)

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger