Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of disagree: In the limit, if Tesla were able to produce the new cells for something ridiculous, like 1$ per kWh, it would be financially insane to not switch to the new cells as fast as possible, if only to increase margins drastically. Now, if their cost per kWh on the new cells only goes down like 10%, then the write off of retiring their existing cell lines are of course much more significant, in which case I agree with you.

Why would you even entertain battery prices that ridiculous? That's below the cost of the raw materials, even if they could reduce the raw material requirements by a whopping 50%.

They could slowly put the current battery production towards Tesla energy storage. Storage doesn’t have to be more dense because it’s not moving.
No point in doing that slowly. Logistics doesn't work that way. Tesla's bty business is only profitable a scale. By extention, look for any newer production arrangment to exceed the scale of the existing product, or it doesn't make sense to switch, Panasonic has been incrementally adding more of the same at GF1 for several years.

You also can't market the car that way. During a slow tranistion, nobody buys the old product. You always end up Osborning your old line. The best way is to leap frog: that's why the S/X has soldiered on with the 18650 cells these past 3 years, while everyone's frantically asking when the 3/Y getting the 2170?!

Answer? Elon has more up his sleeve. Or rather, more cats in the bag.

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: Rammstein
Why would you even entertain battery prices that ridiculous? That's below the cost of the raw materials, even if they could reduce the raw material requirements by a whopping 50%.
I know, that's why I said "in the limit", and called the price ridiculous. It was meant to illustrate my point, not to be a serious estimate. I guess I wasn't clear enough...:(

Might be for the best (if true). Jan Oehmicke, who the article claims is departing, is ex-BMW with a history in BMW financial services. His replacement is reportedly Sascha Zahnd, a logistics guy via Swatch and Ikea. Given the challenges facing Tesla in Europe, putting logistics front and center sounds promising to me.
Apologies for reading an elektrek article, but slight correction

"Last year, we reported on Tesla’s head of Europe, Jan Oehmicke, leaving the company."
"Now Germany’s Manager Magazin reports that Zahnd is leaving less than a year in the role"

"The publication cites “disputes” with CEO Elon Musk.
Zahnd was in charge of Tesla’s overall operations in Europe, including sales and service.
The executive had been with Tesla since 2016 and reportedly always worked closely with Musk – primarily overseeing the global supply chain.
Zahnd was also reportedly involved in the development of Gigafactory Berlin."

It was Oehmicke last year, It is now Zahnd that is departing.

Apologies for reading an elektrek article, but slight correction

"Last year, we reported on Tesla’s head of Europe, Jan Oehmicke, leaving the company."
"Now Germany’s Manager Magazin reports that Zahnd is leaving less than a year in the role"

"The publication cites “disputes” with CEO Elon Musk.
Zahnd was in charge of Tesla’s overall operations in Europe, including sales and service.
The executive had been with Tesla since 2016 and reportedly always worked closely with Musk – primarily overseeing the global supply chain.
Zahnd was also reportedly involved in the development of Gigafactory Berlin."

It was Oehmicke last year, current person of interest is Zahnd

Thanks for the correction — I've deleted my post, since it's misleading.

I'm still not sure I believe the report, since both of their linkedin profiles still say Tesla. Seems like a long time for Oehmicke not to update.

Theoretically, a sodium-sulphur battery that provides integrated storage on individual solar panels could be less than $1/ kwh

There's no extra anode to buy; you just add another layer to the back of the existing solar cell. Those cells already have coatings; make them from an electrolyte membrane, reuse the existing current collector wiring, and you're golden.

So that's a both a self-charging battery, and a solar cell that works at night, starting at a buck a watt. Think you can market that? ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Answer? Elon has more up his sleeve. Or rather, more cats in the bag.

It's going to be a really fun couple of years!

giphy.webp