Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I predicted here on Jan 29, Tesla Models S/X produced over the last few months use the same updated bty cell chemisty as GF1 2170s (Sep 2019 Rev. C bty pack).

@elonmusk

"All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update."

9:48 PM · Feb 14, 2020·​

@Cherry Wine yes your brand new Model X (and every other recently built S/X) will have increased rge.

Further, since Tesla is releasing this OTA range increase for free rather than a paid upgrade, I take this as another sign that Tesla's 2020Q1 results are well in hand.

EDIT:

Not all Raven LRs but the ones made over the last few month with the new bty cell chemisty. See Elon's tweet and my comment above.

EDIT2:

Not just 'interesting' anymore; this is now Tesla's M.O.

Cheers!

P.S. Thx for the free range, Elon! Also, thx to the 3 TMC'ers who marked my Jan 29 comment 'Informative' or 'Helpful'. @riverFox @ABCTG @Lessmog ;)
As there is no hint for range upgrade for Model 3-s produced around that time shall we assume that with the updated chemistry they reduced the number of cells in the cars?

Pure speculation. I think Tesla will eventually spin off the "energy" related divisions, including solar and energy storage, into a separate company ...
Because gigafactories.

Can’t scale batteries at max level being separate. The energy side fuels battery investment, which benefits the auto side and vice versa, it’s a positive cycle from both sides on each other.

Solar+storage will soon be married at the hip going forward with battery costs go down which lifts solar value proposition with it. More solar innovation and production. Another virtuous cycle of increasing battery investment.

The marriage of tech can’t scale or develop efficiently separate, especially when your stated mission is about accelerating things. This is another reason they pulled in Solarcity, since there were many regulatory road blocks to working together separately as public companies.

If both solar/energy and auto growth depend on battery production scaling, and Tesla is at the forefront of both energy and auto transition with its solar and auto tech, there is no advantage to spinning off which would become a headwind for the virtuous cycle which is a significant competitive advantage as well as accelerant in the transition.

Der IKEA-Wald is disappearing quickly.

Emil Senkel on Twitter

EQ0u9l_WAAIqQmD

EQ0u9mRWoAA9o8P

Daniel Kumm on Twitter

EQ0a7YBXsAANiP2

Giga Berlin / Gigafactory 4 on Twitter

EQ1FKz-WAAMCrkL

EQ1FK1GWAAAhgRo

EQ1FK2mXkAEz_dR

EQ1FK34W4AMMTuL

Power is en route (unlikely the primary connection at this point):

Emil Senkel on Twitter

EQ0EuX1WkAAfglV

EQ0EuX2XsAEAyxf

EQ0EuY8XkAA_J63

Conduits snake throughout the plantation.

EQ1FM0nXkAIAiII

EQ1FM2KW4AEdUL-

EQ1FM3VWsAIFYsF

Branches are going into a chipper. They seem to be hauling the chips off. They'll probably either be burned for power, or - preferably - used to produce particle board and the like.

EQ1FIGoXkAItbYG

EQ1FIGmX0AEv9oj

EQ1FIHvW4AY8M72

From Giant sequoias in California
rooseveltmuir.jpg

These are Trees, the tree farm being excavated is a monoculture going to be harvested anyway. That Tesla is planting new areas is very responsible. Bringing the manufacturing of sustainable vehicles is a proven way now to help reduce fossil fuel burning.
sequoia1.jpg

We hug our Trees. Walking through this area is incredible with the silence, peace and awe not seen in developed areas.
I hope we can defend these trees for the future.

on another topic:
Thank you Karen for the amount of information and contributions. I have done options for decades and have made shameful amounts of money in my retirement accounts and changed my tax bracket so I need to explore new methods such as more Roth accounts to limit taxes. I use LEAPS mostly and attempt to time sales for LTCGs or exercise options. I admit I have been doing a few short term call option buying and was lucky to quadruple my money.
Currently I am bullish and like your idea of spreads and may start dabbling in it in a Roth. If you have any suggestions for this let me know.
I am not a frequent poster but want you to know I am very grateful to you for your information.
Mike

Model X and Model S ranges updated on Tesla website! 390 mile MS and 351 mile MX!

That 400 barrier keeps on getting closer and closer.

Design Your Model S | Tesla

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this since I haven't been able to read every page the last couple days, but Tesla is also "giving" this newfound range to current Raven owners.

As a Tesla vehicle owner and fan, I respect this immensely. It's awesome. I love the OTA updates that often bring new features.

As an investor, I'd rather see these costly technology advancements monetized. Why not increase the price of the S and X by $1000, and allow current owners to purchase the range increase for that Amount? Maybe after 6 months, have a price reduction on the S and X by $1000 to restore the old prices (if warranted, because it may no be since the increased range should increase demand).

How many S and X Ravens have been sold? 60,000 maybe? So even if only half purchase the upgrade, that's $30 million.

I don't want to see Tesla charge for every software update or feature add via software update, but a major upgrade such as this is huge. 28 extra miles of range on the X, as any X owner will tell you, is extremely nice. They purchased 328, why give them 28 more for no charge?

"The writing is on the wall and the next logical step for Tesla is to either take over an existing utility or launch a similarly comprehensive suite of grid management solutions for utilities."​

PG&E is ripe for a take-over. And I bet Tesla doesn't let its transmission assets fall into disrepair and vulnerable to sparking wild fires.

Word.

On the other hand, you’ll have the crazy TSLAQ types going out into the woods on dry days to cut down transmission lines in hopes of triggering multi-billion dollar lawsuits against Tesla.

Not sure - the Swedes have a SEK sense of humour!
NOK, NOK
Who's there?
Norway.
Norway who?
Norway wants their money back.
Ok, just a SEK.
Damn you, this Norway, not Sweden.
I don't care who you are, Denmark. Get off my DKK. Go back to Britain before I pound you.
Are you Finnish?
No. Euro only saying that to piss me off.
NOK, NOK.

Pure speculation. I think Tesla will eventually spin off the "energy" related divisions, including solar and energy storage, into a separate company ...

There's too much synergy.

Tesla hopes to have a large EV fleet.
A large EV fleet would be a large part of demand and a large amount of storage.
A large fraction of EV charging allows for flexible scheduling.

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this since I haven't been able to read every page the last couple days, but Tesla is also "giving" this newfound range to current Raven owners.

As a Tesla vehicle owner and fan, I respect this immensely. It's awesome. I love the OTA updates that often bring new features.

As an investor, I'd rather see these costly technology advancements monetized. Why not increase the price of the S and X by $1000, and allow current owners to purchase the range increase for that Amount? Maybe after 6 months, have a price reduction on the S and X by $1000 to restore the old prices (if warranted, because it may no be since the increased range should increase demand).

How many S and X Ravens have been sold? 60,000 maybe? So even if only half purchase the upgrade, that's $30 million.

I don't want to see Tesla charge for every software update or feature add via software update, but a major upgrade such as this is huge. 28 extra miles of range on the X, as any X owner will tell you, is extremely nice. They purchased 328, why give them 28 more for no charge?
Tesla should consider making a lower range 280 mile S for livery use. By saving batteries they can make more, max out the line. The livery S would be about $5000 less or more. It would sell overseas well and with the efficiency gains might be able to be done with a 60 kWh battery. It’s all about maximizing profit as well as spreading sustainable transportation.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Der IKEA-Wald is disappearing quickly.

Emil Senkel on Twitter

EQ0u9l_WAAIqQmD

EQ0u9mRWoAA9o8P

Daniel Kumm on Twitter

EQ0a7YBXsAANiP2

EQ1FKz-WAAMCrkL

EQ1FK1GWAAAhgRo

EQ1FK2mXkAEz_dR

EQ1FK34W4AMMTuL

Power is en route (unlikely the primary connection at this point):

Emil Senkel on Twitter

EQ0EuX1WkAAfglV

EQ0EuX2XsAEAyxf

EQ0EuY8XkAA_J63

Conduits snake throughout the plantation.

EQ1FM0nXkAIAiII

EQ1FM2KW4AEdUL-

EQ1FM3VWsAIFYsF

Branches are going into a chipper. They seem to be hauling the chips off. They'll probably either be burned for power, or - preferably - used to produce particle board and the like.

EQ1FIGoXkAItbYG

EQ1FIGmX0AEv9oj

EQ1FIHvW4AY8M72
Sure, but what they really need is more cowbell.

Works at GF4 are preliminary stopped from the OVG Court in Berlin Brandenburg after an objection about the Friday decision.

A normal process that an objection can be made but I have my doubts that they have any reasonable argument that validates that objection. The OVG stopped the works because works did progress very fast.

I hope that this will be decided very quickly to avoid unnecessary delays.

The most critical phase is to get the trees down in time as in March the bird breeding phase begins and trees are not allowed to be cut any more which would delay the project 6-9 months.

Therefore I am not surprised about the objection but about the OVG stopping the works as I don't see a justification for them.

Last edited:
As there is no hint for range upgrade for Model 3-s produced around that time shall we assume that with the updated chemistry they reduced the number of cells in the cars?
We already know that the Model 3s with the Rev. C bty pack have a lower curb weight than previous versions. This was also discussed here on TMC some time ago. I don't think anyone has published a teardown with a cell count but that's unnecessary since Tesla has already said +6% energy density.

I also think an App like 'Teslafi' that could display pack voltage at 100% SOC would tell you if a certain pack was software-limited. For this to work, you do need to know the number of cells in series.

Cheers!

Anecdotal data point: Tesla insurance

Tossed another coin to my witcher last night and purchased a Tesla insurance policy for our Model X. The price was $20/mo less than the quote I received from my existing insurance agent, despite the latter quote pricing in loyalty, multi-car, and multi-line discounts. I'll lose out on the savings by losing the multi-car discount on our other vehicle, but I'd much rather kick the policy premium to Tesla than State Farm.

Since I haven't seen any quotes for Model X coverage elsewhere I thought people may be interested to know the premium cost (without going into too many details): ~$120/mo.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot to add that the comp/collision deductibles for the Tesla policy are $100/$100 as opposed to $500/$500 as quoted from State Farm. So even better than a straight apples-to-apples comparison.
What are your average Wh/mi?

Reactions: Eugene Ash
What happened to the cardboard option? I thought that the trees were planted for a cardboard factory.

Could also be for paper or cardboard. In these sort of scots pine plantations in Germany, low-diameter trees (aka, these) are usually used for pulp wood and chips; older, higher diameter trees (>= ~1/2m at breast height) are used for structural timber. Lots of different things you can make from pulp and chips. But I don't have the background to know how they'll decide which feedstocks will get allocated to what; there's probably people here with a more appropriate background.

A lot of waste wood products are also just outright burned (biomass power makes up about 4% of the German grid).

fig1-installed-net-power-generation-capacity-germany-2002-2019.png

Wood burning for power isn't by any stretch "clean", but at least it's renewable, and low net carbon.

(I've also noticed in some of the above pictures that the trees appear to have been previously tapped for resin... but I'm not positive that those shots are actually on the property)

ED: This post led me to do some more reading on scots pine management in Germany.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rief_review_of_the_history_and_current_trends

The interesting thing is that this plantation appears to be based on the "old thinking" about scots pine management. Nowadays, coplanting with beech is preferred (even for industrial purposes), as it yields a healthier, more productive "forest". Less prone to pests (more biodiversity), better soil, higher yield, etc. In the below picture, left is the old school of thought (like at GF4), while on the right is the new school of thought:

upload_2020-2-15_18-57-3.png

Last edited: