Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And...........
It's happening

There is indeed a price cut, and the numbers above are mostly right.
View attachment 430105
View attachment 430106
View attachment 430107

The default color is now white (multi-coat)

Interesting

---

Oh

US SR+ is also getting a $910 price cut.
AWD $1,910 cut
Performance is getting a $4,910 cut.

White Multi-coat also default color

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.28.33.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.29.31.png

Well that's probably the end of the rally until earnings is out lol. Bears are going to be screaming to the heavens that demand dried up.

I view this as they've really started hitting their margins goals and efficiencies in production are driving the price cuts.

Btw......can someone check on BMW? They've gotta be on life support at this point.

AWD $1,910 cut
Canadian price doesn't seem to have moved for the SR+ (probably because the current Canadian Federal C$5000 incentive that caps our at C$55K price point either keeps it competitive at just under the limit, or possibly it was already squeezed down a bit to qualify) - but the other two models are significantly cheaper now up here too...

Last edited:
The default color is now white (multi-coat)

Interesting

---

Oh

AWD $1,910 cut

View attachment 430115
View attachment 430116
SR+/AWD cuts are in the range of the tax credit loss. But that’s a BIG cut on the Performance. I wonder what’s up with that?

SR+/AWD cuts are in the range of the tax credit loss. But that’s a BIG cut on the Performance. I wonder what’s up with that?
Likely their marginal cost on the higher models is significantly smaller than the premium they are charging, so it's an optimization problem of lowering the price on the higher model may shift orders enough to the more expensive product to recover the lost revenue, my guess is they are adjusting that pricing optimization perhaps?

You all just seem to like it a little too much. Maybe start a poll on who you hate the most:

Well, "hate" is a strong word but I cannot tell a lie:

I don't like Russian oligarch climate deniers who smell like kerosene and have an affinity for little girls.

They just don't sit right with me. :p

Last edited:
Likely their marginal cost on the higher models is significantly smaller than the premium they are charging, so it's an optimization problem of lowering the price on the higher model may shift orders enough to the more expensive product to recover the lost revenue, my guess is they are adjusting that pricing optimization perhaps?
Although, you know what? When I compare what I paid for my Performance back in December (-$7500 tax credit) with this new price (-$1875 tax credit) they are pretty close. I think Tesla is just trying to maintain customer net cost.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
You are defending someone who is fabulously wealthy - got so by selling toxins spewing vehicles - with this BS ?

ICE executives are no better than tobacco executives. In fact, worse.

ps : I'm fairly sure all his friends are fabulously wealthy too.
The innovators dilemma is real and it’s not an issue of evil as much as inertia. The inertia of mental/intellectual capital, infrastructure and just a way of doing things. It’s incredibly difficult to reinvent a company. Bill Gates wrote a come to Jesus get real with the I termed in 1995 and Microsoft didn’t make the transition for almost 20 years with a new CEO. That’s with a company with strong leadership and hugely deep pockets and we’re a company that had just disrupted the computing industry. Try replacing 100+ years of tradition and knowledge versus 10 or 20 years in a technology company. VW’s effort now is really impressive, but it will take them years to hit stride.
From a TSLA perspective knowing how hard this change will be is very bullish. The fact that most manufacturers have not yet made any significant investment in a scalable product shows not a lack of commitment, but a sign of how very hard the change is and the total commitment required.

Wow. That’s nuts.
There must be an error about pearl white multi-coat being free. That's 3 layers of paint I believe that take extra time. I think something is going to change about this. Either the free color replaced and multi-coat obsoleted or 2 white colors with multi-coat staying $2k.

I have white Y on order with $2k paint embedded in price. And it prob. needs corresponding price cut as 3. Hmmmm.

That’s almost certainly supposed to be the basic white, not multi-coat. Elon recently said as much although I can’t recall if it was during an interview or part of a Tweet.

Thought:

Tesla calculated that switching to base white saves $910, so all trims have a $910 discount. (AWD and P have additional savings).

I believe this money is saved in not having to do extra prep or surface repair before delivery, since white is a color that is far less sensitive to scratching and other surface defects. It is probably a little easier to get looking good coming out of the paint shop, so slightly less time is needed to paint it.

Although, you know what? When I compare what I paid for my Performance back in December (-$7500 tax credit) with this new price (-$1875 tax credit) they are pretty close. I think Tesla is just trying to maintain customer net cost.

Yes, but since mine is a Pearl White Performance it's a bit less expensive now. But I'm not like those entitled people who went around moaning and groaning that Tesla has "devalued" their "investment". I welcome seeing more Pearl White Model 3's in the wild because I think it's the finest looking one of them all. I think it's foolish to look at the purchase of a new car like an investment and yet that is very common if I can take what I read on the Internet at face value.

Interestingly, Tesla now says 18" Aero wheels are an optional substitute for the 20" wheels if you order a Performance Model 3. This will increase the sales ratio of the higher margin Performance vs. AWD model, particularly when combined with the Performance price cut. Before this option, if I totaled my Performance Model 3 I would have replaced it with the lower margin AWD, simply because I didn't want to take delivery of a car with 20" wheels/tires that I would then want to immediately sell (I hate selling things). Now I could simply replace my P3D with another P3D and request 18" Aero wheels.

This is a good change that I recommended recently on the forum. Maybe Tesla is listening?

i'm amazed a pearl multi-coat is now a base color versus a plain white. Wonder how the math worked on that to make that happen.

The extra cost is worth it to have the best looking cars possible on the road - this is how they sell more cars. And people associate white with Apple - they want people to know Tesla is the Apple of automobiles.

Now that I think about it - maybe Apple is buying a stake in Tesla and wanted white to be the main color?

That’s almost certainly supposed to be the basic white, not multi-coat. Elon recently said as much although I can’t recall if it was during an interview or part of a Tweet.

No, it's Pearl White Multi-coat! I just checked the Tesla website. White is harder to mess up. I think Tesla looked at the cost of re-working the paint after the sale and figured out the white ones needed the least amount of repainting. Being the smart, nimble company they are, they said: "white costs us the least, we should make it the default option"!