Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also refused to answer the question.

Also economics 101:

Company T can produce 100 widgets per time period
At price A, Company T has demand for 200 widgets per time period
Company T chooses to lower price of widget

Company T is also struggling to cut costs.

I doubt you and Kruggerand are missing the point I'm making. You're simply refusing to address it.

If demand at price A is greater than production ability AND the company is losing money per quarter then it is illogical to lower the price.

That’s only true if company T is lowering all prices of all variants of said widget. If they, instead, say, lower the price of one widget and raise the price of another, then it could be about shifting demand towards the former and away from the latter. Which could be, for example, because that gives a more optimal production mix and optimizes their costs to produce all widgets as a whole.

Basic economics (my own level of understanding) would suggest that this will lead to a gradual reduction in ride-sharing pricing due to competition. If the profit level is that high, then enough people will 'rent' out their Teslas so that it will no longer be quite as profitable, since there is not unlimited demand for ride-sharing services.

$1.00 / mile would be cheap enough that all Teslas combined can’t fulfill demand.

This does only apply as long as only Tesla has robo-taxis or until there are enough Teslas on the road to drive down the price.

The demand for an autonomous EV low cost robo-taxi will be insane.

All emails are leaked.
So the emails are public communications.

Let’s pretend, for a second, that it works that way. What you’re saying here, then, is that Elon cannot send any email on these topics to anyone, ever. That includes the counsel who would need to approve the statements, the people actually running the production, etc. He’s essentially not allowed to have anything to do with production at his own company. Oh, and not just Elon, the agreement applies to all officers of the company. So nobody is allowed to actually run Tesla. Does that sound reasonable to you?

FreqFlyer, do you believe the emails were intentionally leaked?

I am asking because I don't believe anyone here
a very sharp group...
nobody here believes these are leaks.
Doesn't have to be intentionally leaked. If in the past all the company wide emails have been leaked, EM knows this will be too.

Not just Tesla, almost all company wide emails by CEOs of high profile companies are leaked.

That’s only true if company T is lowering all prices of all variants of said widget. If they, instead, say, lower the price of one widget and raise the price of another, then it could be about shifting demand towards the former and away from the latter. Which could be, for example, because that gives a more optimal production mix and optimizes their costs to produce all widgets as a whole.

Very helpful response! And I think that's likely what happened. My first post on this was before the recent Model 3 price raises. My impression is that Tesla is facing a bit of a demand issue with S and X, but not so with Model 3.

Thanks!

Reactions: Dig deeper and kbM3
All emails are leaked.
So the emails are public communications.
This is beyond absurd.

It basically shows the absurd nature of SEC claims, too. The correct remedy should have been to just ask Musk not to tweet anything material without prior disclosure during market hours.

Any interviews he gives, conference calls (like the cap raise ones) always have some material information. SEC (and others) never cry about those - because it is the "norm" for the industry. But tweets being new, are somehow treated differently.

I think with the new info on demand and 900/week production effectively puts a floor on how low shirts can push the stock down at around $190. It will take a couple days for this bit of good news to sink in before reports of crazy deliveries, all hands on deck starts to come out.
I hope they don't do another delivery hell. They need to stop doing it - it really hurts customer service.

I can understand delivering may be 2x normal deliveries in 3rd month - but should not require all hands on deck etc.

elasalle, do you believe these are not intentional leaks?

All emails written to employees are intentional.

Emails getting leaked are a Fact.

To Use the fact to one's own advantage is genius ;) (kudos to the employee who leaked it)

I didn't hear any Longs complaining about the previous email (even though it bought the SP down like $30)?

All emails written to employees are intentional.

Emails getting leaked are a Fact.

To Use the fact to one's own advantage is genius ;) (kudos to the employee who leaked it)

I didn't hear any Longs complaining about the previous email (even though it bought the SP down like $30)?

To be fair, I complained about the verbiage in the last e-mail. The content was poorly framed, taken out of context or not.

CNBC doing its usual bashing. It is just non-stop. I believe they are about to have clickbait hungry Consumer Reports on to regurgitate its auto-pilot story from yesterday. Is this really a top, newsworthy story on a day when markets are crashing (especially as this is yesterday's news)?

Reactions: trentbridge