Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notably, they had 10,600 cars in transit that were, presumably, delivered shortly after EOQ. Assume, say, $60k ASP and that’s $636 million.
They always have cars in transit. They hopefully have a lot more than 10,600 in transit right now.

If they really get rid of the wave and ship to all regions steadily they will average around 20k cars in transit. With the wave approach they approached 40k in early March. So far this month's ship loading pattern looks a lot like January, so in transit has been growing. We should see a change in pattern within a few weeks.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: bdy0627 and neroden
This seems crappy for Elon.

He can't discuss any new business lines? That's dumb. So he can't tweet about considering a leaf blower anymore?

The list is terrible, but better to move on, there are far more important things to do. If I were Elon, just write an interface, all the tweets go through a check in real time before being published, so I don't have to constantly worry about that huge bullet list. I hope in the future we get a documentary movie on this.

so... Q1 results bloodbath out of the way..... the bond repayment out of the way.... $35k model achieved, Model Y announced, SEC argument over... Time to start looking on the upside?
FSD computer installed in all new cars, S/X refresh done with substantial performance increase and reduced production cost, Insurance product coming. Now if only he would release advanced summon so we could get some FSD perks to show those who have not been in the car!

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It is revealing to pay attention to how AutoLine views the EV marketplace. This link from yesterday.

Listen particularly at minute 1:48 where the EV marketplace is discussed. They are calling for an EV disaster for Detroit.

AD #2581 – Whole EV Segment Drops, Could Satellite Images Make 3D Maps? Challenger Sales Pull Away From Camaro

I think part of what we are seeing in this recurring discussion of demand is that the marketplace is lukewarm to EVs. Opposition marketing has been effective. There is a fear that there is some end to early adopters and that demand may slide one day. Do we really know the answer to this or does it remain a bit of a question. There is no way to know.

I think it is the same with FSD. Do people really want it? Surely many do but how deep is the interest. Andy Grove of Intel used to say that inflection points are revealed when a product is 10x better. I think EVs meet that criteria but the larger world may not be there yet for FSD.

I think Jobs had success with smartphones by linking to an existing passion - music. Music was the known passion that could pull an unwitting public out of a rut into a new realm. Maybe FSD should be linked to something as passion-filled as music. Or something else...

Or we are looking at it incorrectly. This is what happens when 50% of all cars delivered during the last ten days of the quarter. Comes April 1st, Tesla deliveres are most likely still in crazy hell mode.

So he said if we count Tesla in(which really failed at delivering their max potential), the entire EV market dropped 5% but if Tesla is NOT counted, then the market dropped 24%. This tells me that a bunch of people bought the model 3s and couldn't get it delivered prior to quarter end. And these people who are twiddling their thumb DIDN"T buy the other brand, hence the massive drop off. So we can't really conclude anything from what they said because Tesla had a big ass bottleneck which muddled the real numbers.

So Elon won his argument.

• production numbers or sales or delivery numbers (whether actual, forecasted, or projected) that have not been previously published via pre-approved written communications issued by the Company (“Official Company Guidance”) or deviate from previously published Official Company Guidance;
This must really chap the SEC and baloon Elon’s head.
I don't think he won exactly. Elon's argument was that his numbers were covered in a conference call which isn't exactly a written communication.

Doesn't really matter who won. At least there is zero ambiguity now and both parties can move on.

42B34D73-F7F0-4354-B7C8-591642AC2C3A.png

I guess we will see more retweeting and replies in future. If Musk were to tweet “China GF smashes construction record”, the SEC might get antsy, but this says the same in a safe manner.

Thanks.

FYI: I bought my first TSLA shares in mid 2015 and accumulated throughout early 2019 (bought those dips). Sold my position with minimal loss in March. I've originally planned to hold a long position for at least 10 years but again, as things stand right now, I'm not seeing it. No offense to anyone.
Good on you. Please do PM me when you feel compelled to get back in.
I used to a permalong in a totally different type of investment. It cost me everything years ago and yet I still feel it would have paid off before my retirement age. Markets just just not designed to make retail investors get into something random and make a life fo themselves. Even the best long horizon asset is cyclical. If the horse can ride across an ocean floor, it doesn't mean you need to be on it for it.

I don't think he won exactly. Elon's argument was that his numbers were covered in a conference call which isn't exactly a written communication.

Doesn't really matter who won. At least there is zero ambiguity now and both parties can move on.
It does matter, Elon was facing some sort of punishment . He received none. Elon won.

Musk's hype fell flat which caused many to jump the gun with this stock, me included. Now it's a show me stock, which is fine. Puts more pressure on him to execute better and cause an artificial low before what he promises(including profitability from now on statement).

So he needs to hit his guide and release FSD by year end(even if it's not perfect), and have GF3 completed by year end. He lost all credibility right now even though I feel he is actually more realistic today than before...saying how he'll be at 10k/week of Model 3s when they couldn't even get 1/10th of that out.

Even if he execute in a bumpy fashion, as long his aspirations are executed..that's all it matters. Currently they are pricing in him talking out of his ass for everything. That's misguided because he rarely doesn't execute..he just execute too late and perhaps a little bit different than what's promised. Just really sucks he likes to give out exact time lines for pipe dream scenarios over and over again. No one believes a thing he says anymore. His first goal is to hit 90k deliveries for Q2. If he does then that will get a lot of confidence back in the stock.
Yep, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Musk clearly needs to come through on his guidance of a minimum of 90k cars delivered for Q2. He has to hit that. That actually seems pretty high to me, well above my estimates, but it is what Musk has told the market to expect as a minimum.

With Elon indicating that April is showing a record number of deliveries for the first month of any quarter, that means it would beat October 2018, which had 20,325 total deliveries, according to the InsideEVs scorecard. There were 10,600 cars in transit from Q1 plus about 16k in total car inventory as we exited Q1. Beating 20,325 for April looks very doable actually. I could see the 3 months looking something like this: 25k, 30k, 35k. They actually did 25,250 model 3 alone in December 2018. However, it seems to me it will be difficult to hit 90k for Q2 while at the same time shifting to continuous global sales. If they do that then we would not expect the big surge near the end of the quarter, so they would need to have relatively higher numbers for the first couple of months.
Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard

View attachment 401032

I guess we will see more retweeting and replies in future. If Musk were to tweet “China GF smashes construction record”, the SEC might get antsy, but this says the same in a safe manner.
It's kind of another Elonism of course, just this time not really stock price sensitive. Most floor and roof space added to a single unified building over the course of a given time period? I'd believe that. Say, they manage to build roof floor and walls to withstand typical Shanghai weather, covering 0.2 km² over say 12 months from placing the order, that's up there already probably. Although surely some smaller projects were done quicker.

Reactions: neroden