Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a big edge case that needs to be addressed. If the passenger just happens to tug the steering wheel, then the car goes back to normal manual mode and put the car into risk.
It isn't an edge case, its an implementation detail. It will be important when Tesla ride sharing actually exists. Even with Elon they have 12+ months.
The steering wheel input can be ignored by the car.
I'm not sure it can. Depends on how they implemented safety of override.

Green!!

upload_2019-4-22_23-4-18.png

True, but Elon said you can still take over the car if you tug the wheel.

I think much of the transition period will be confusing due to regulations and gradual changes. Probably in the beginning, you'll be able to pull the steering wheel and it will take over. Then there will be a period of older cars having useless steering wheels that do nothing.

Personally, I enjoy spirited driving. I want to keep a car that I can manually drive. I hope that's not fully outlawed. Or selfishly, not in my lifetime.

On another note, perhaps Tesla pick-up trucks will be added to the network that can be rented so people without trucks can use them for moving and such when needed.

Reactions: saniflash
Just a design comment on the subtle communication failures going on in real time during this event: note the constant fail of next audience member asking a question not waiting for the microphone, but Elon can hear from the stage, so he just answers. But often, Elon, blinded by the stage lights, can't see into the blackness of the audience so doesn't know where the question is coming from.

Fails:
  • Webcast audience doesn't hear the question.
  • Webcast audience trying to figure out what the question while Elon's already answering it.
  • Tesla staffer runs around the room handing the mic to the questioner halfway into question. Some repeat, some just keep talking.
  • Webcast audience gets signal loss.

Fixes:
  • Attach a bright LED to the Mic, that can be seen from the stage.
  • Teach the audience to wait until they have a mic before asking the question.
  • Add one or two more staffers with microphones with different color LEDs. Reduce time to mic reaching questioner.

Last edited:
I really hope Tesla ramps up production. If Elon is anywhere close to his self driving timeline then they won't bother selling to us until they have fulfilled all robo taxi capacity.

Addressing the issue of Uber just buying Teslas. Yes, others are asking the same questions as I had. I agree with the question for sure. Why would they sell me an SR when they could pocket it for Tesla Inc use?