Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes Rob Maurer needs to reconsider his format to give equal talking time in the future like a real debate.

A proper bull vs bear debate needs a third party unbiased moderator who keeps the playing field level, e.g. allowing responses and not allowing cutting the other guy off with rude interruptions to pound the table.

Pfff, what a tease - have a buy order at $402...

Had an epiphany - thanks to GJ on the Rob show. It made me think that if there are folks out there that are that clueless - there's even money to be made than I originally thought.

I sold out of some non TSLA positions that had performed well, are nice names, but don't, IMHO, have the future that TSLA has.

Had another order in at 401 - but caved a few minutes ago and upped it it to 405 and got'em.

2 of my orders have hit today.

Wonder what tomorrow will look like.

Last edited:
The problem with bears is that they use factual information to draw the wrong conclusions(like cherry picking EU delivery numbers, or flat revenue growth from Q2 = growth has stalled). I don't know, maybe neurolink can help them out with deductive reasoning. There must be neurons not firing correctly. And the entire world has moved on (in this case SP is 2-2.5k) and the guy still put his foot down and is convinced that the entire world must be drawing the WRONG conclusions. So weird to watch.

I've wonder this re TMC members (assuming that's who you meant). My logic so far has been that the wealthy sharks at TMC are here to support a cleaner future, be it from guilt or good gesture, and they're informing friends and neighbors the same tune. Others are here to convince me to HODL (and they're doing a great job there) - whether it's for their own portfolio or goodness doesn't matter to me really. Either way, welcome sharks!

:D:D:D

Credit due me not
September Swoons
Mountain numbers range

Perspective.
noun
per·spec·tive
/pərˈspektiv/

a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.

This post is aimed at the longs. If you're looking to get in and out and make a quick buck, this won't apply to you.

No one knows "how high" Tesla will go. I personally have been struggling with just how high of a market cap can be justified and what timeline is appropriate for that market cap. Are we over heated, or just pausing? I'm sure many of you longs are wondering this. HODL forever? You have to get off this train eventually don't you?

Trying to figure out what I might be able to expect from my TSLA, I just overlayed TSLA on top of AAPL, since it's another high market cap tech stock that actually makes a product. I scaled them appropriately (same scale for both market cap and time). Then I slid TSLA to the left until it met the AAPL graph putting them at the same MC, only at different dates. I think the MC vertical axis might be logarithmic, but they are the same (I pulled the data from here). For my analysis, this was 1998 for AAPL and mid 2010 for TSLA when both were about at $1.5B MC. BTW, once shifted per below, the TSLA stops in 2008, but matches AAPL's Mc from 2012. But, since 2012, AAPL has split 7:1 (2014, MC @$557B) and 4:1 (2020, MC @ 2.2T). This graph helped me slow down and take a breath and be ok with these dips. Granted these are 2 different companies at 2 different times in their growth, but there just aren't very many comparisons to use for this high MC! Now, what MC does Tesla ultimately get to? Who knows. Personally I'm comfortable with their business model and product line diversity getting them to $1T before I'd re-evaluate how high it can go. That is ~3X beyond where we are today. So, things could slow down on the long journey I'm on. I don't think it's very likely that I'll personally be a Teslaonaire, but I'm excited about the incredible growth I've seen investing in this stock. I've got lots of confidence in Musk and how he changes the world with his companies, so I feel it's low risk and my patience is well placed.

TSLA vs AAPL market cap.png

Rob is the king of thoughtful Tesla analysts but this format doesn't play to his strengths.

I agree. One of Rob's best strengths is being respectful and not making his guests appear foolish even when they don't have all the relevant facts. Unfortunately, he failed to keep Gordo from looking like a fool. :(

Man, anybody having the troubles of the types I'm having with Fidelity? In what was supposed to be a simple clerical change to our brokerage account(multiply the shares by 5, divide the share price by 5) has turned into a nightmare! These brilliant people had managed to pull 2/3 of our shares in the brokerage account and redistribute them among our other IRA accounts, immediately triggering a margin call on a loan we had against the account! They also resurrected a dead 401k account and completely lost a cash account, with the associated cash, tied to the brokerage account.

I have to admit, it's been a very, very long time since I've used language like I did on the telephone! Now they've assured me they would have it all corrected by Friday(I spoke to them on Tuesday) but I still don't see any changes. I'm thinking I've aged about 5 yrs/day lately. :mad::oops:
My August balance statement from E*Trade was pure crap. Made it look like massive losses. What is wrong with these people?

Rob is not overly nice, it is who he is. Intelligent, thoughtful and courteous. I, on the other hand, would be gutting GJ like a trout.
Wait until we have Gordon's facts being sent - Rob will have a follow-up guaranteed.
A bit of a shame to give Gordon the air time to spew nonsense, but I think it was enough rope so to speak. (No disrespect there, just an expression).

Reactions: jpsgoneev
It's frustration caused by cognitive dissonance.
YEP!
If everyone would just go back to the very beginning of the video before anything gets started and just look at both their faces.
Mauer is round-eyed, relaxed, prepping. Gordon is already a wreck. He has so much "Cognitive dissonance" going on behind those glasses. He's trying to supress all the facts that do not support his statements (Note I am not calling them his believes because he does not believe what he has been paid to propose.) he's caught. He has the harder job. He has to present untruths as being truthful even though he knows they are not. That is difficult to do.
I think he put forth an admirable effort. A textbook professional attempt! Kudos Gordo! Your employer should be pleased.

The worst part about down days are that I don't have an excuse to not do my job. :(

Rob: Looking at the effects of the Pandemic. The best was BMW down 25%, Tesla down 5%. How can you say Tesla is losing market share?

Gordon: Because they are.
His argument that Tesla selling more EVs doesn't matter because other makers sold more too. He wants to set up EVs as some separate market (that isn't growing).

OK, I read most of the theories. I think S&P is a done deal before Battery Day, but going to be bumpy as usual.

Buying still... more tomorrow maybe. I've only ever held 2 options at one time, that's plenty for me. my supermajority is in Shares. I like that there's no expiration on actual shares - cool feature! Today was 25 more.

View attachment 583970
View attachment 583970
In for 15 more....can't seem to pass up a good sale.

I wonder when I get old and reclusive like @Krugerrand if I will be the type that buys random crap I see on daytime TV all day long....just because it is a good sale price:eek::rolleyes:

Have been buying in short term account on way down, but I admit, this hurts.

If we were at the exact same number after a relatively slow methodical grind up I would feel very differently. So much of the market is psychology. Perhaps it all is, except then you would completely ignore fundamentals which obviously is idiotic, so no not just psychology. Psychology is not what made TSLA explode this year, it was the undeniable truth of their budding dominance in multiple industries.

The S & P PR would blast the SP on a minimum five day consecutive ramp up. If it never comes life could be hard for the short term TSLA option players. Except of course, if you have puts.

How does one buy puts and then wait for 5:15pm every day LOL.

BTW, NO I do not believe my fellow TMCer's are sharks.

I love all of you!...except for few...like you over there...yeah you sharkey.

All the best!