Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Automakers - today:

–6.95% NKLA
–3.93% FCAU
–2.67% GM
–2.60% F
–0.78% TSLA
@Curt Renz, I luv ya, but enough of NKLA. When Nikola Motors start manufacturing cars include them for comparison, but not before. Putting Nikola in the same context as Tesla, and even other OEM, is a disservice to all.

Last edited:
Not all cars have them to the same degree.

As Tesla goes from 1.4% market share to 5% market share and up Quality Ratings become more and more important.

Early adopters that truly care about the mission don't care very much about fit and finish.

Mainstream car buyers that care more about their purchase and environmental benefits are a nice extra will care more and more about what CR and JDP have to say.

"We suck less hard than Maserati"

is not going to sell 20M cars per year.

If in 2030 Tesla vehicles have above average initial quality but have a widespread reputation for shitty quality that will be a problem.

Even if 99% of posters on this thread insist otherwise.
I guess you missed the part where I said they will fix the issues.

If you don't believe they will...please tell me why?

If EVs are to succeed we need these other EV manufacturers to focus on the ecosystem. They should swallow their pride and partner with Tesla to grow the EV market.
No, they really shouldn't. The max safe L3 charge rate is 1C for an EV without extensive battery cooling equipment. A 1st Zoe had a 22 KWh bty pack, now 52 KWh (both are air cooled). You really want to sit in your Tesla waiting for Zoe that's supercharging at 22 KW? Peak rate, with rapid taper due to overheating?

That's a L2 charge rate in Europe. Let Renault go bust if they can't sort out something as simple as charging.

Although Rob admits he is not a professional auto reviewer there are some glaring mistakes in the comparison to Model 3. Polestar 2 used in the review seems to have the performance package which has the 20 inch wheels and upgraded suspension and brakes. Whereas the Model 3 AWD he has, if I recall correctly has the default 18 inch wheels. I think this is the main reason that makes him say he is able to take a specific corner during his test drive much faster in the Polestar, than he could with his Model 3. Also when comparing the Model 3 AWD range (280 stated vs 322 actual) and 0-60 times (4.6 stated vs 4.4 actual) Model 3 specs seem to have been lowered to make it seem like it is a much closer comparison to the Polestar 2 than it is in reality. There is no way he would not have known that his Model 3 has a range greater than 300 miles. Also he did not mention the headroom in the second row and the hump in the floor for the Polestar 2 which make the second row not very comfortable for tall adults. Overall it seemed like a feel good review more than any thing else.
Ah thanks, I probably should have done a comparison between the specs of each vehicle independently rather than rely on Rob's statements as it does sound like there is more clear air between the two than stated in the video - a little disappointing he chose to narrow the gap that way as he's one of the OG EV supporters.

Could this have any relation to the raising for a&p

Nope. Every major OEM has a similar bond program which is just a pure lease financing transaction.

When the OEM's offer leases to their customers they have to pay cash for the parts to build the car but only receive cash from their customer at each lease payment. These bond transactions just turn the future lease payments into an up-front cash payment for Tesla (with a bunch of caveats) making it more like a regular sale for Tesla from a cash perspective.

Tesla could finance the mismatch in cash paid for parts vs cash received on the lease any way they want, however as you can see these lease backed bonds are super cheap (as most are rated AAA) so it's a good source of cheap money.

In the latest Now You Know video they make some interesting comments about the Tesla / Rivian Lawsuit.

If the claims Tesla are apparently making are in anyway true, this may end badly for Rivian.

Personally I have zero sympathy for anyone engaged in IP theft, so I am 100% happy for Tesla to extract the maximum penalty... assuming the claims are substantiated... In some ways this is Tesla taking Amazon money which will appeal to Elon.

I haven't got time now, but it seems that this is a substantial issue, that perhaps deserves its own thread.

What are the possible implications for Rivian? Is there a substantial monetary gain to Tesla?

Damn! I suffered a terrible bout of range anxiety reading your account. And I’m just sitting on my couch catching up with this thread! :eek:

Update while we watch the strong magnetic forces @ $1500. Not suspicious at all...

Yesterday another trip in the Zoe. And I had to charge! Had to connect/disconnect the cable twice before I got it charging the 3rd time. Took a while - around one hour. But then I got back home with 25% charge. Unfortunately I cannot charge where I sleep but since today's errand wasn't until 2 PM I had pleny of time.

I thought...because today I experienced the flipside of not owning a Tesla. Used the charge app to find a close one. Not a problem - plenty of chargers since I am in Oslo, Norway where EVs rule. And I could go and put the charger on, then have some lunch.

Problem was when I connected the car everything looked OK but after 30 sec or so the dash started blinking red with the message "Charging Impossible". Well - I have experienced bad Tesla chargers too so I moved to another stall. Only I kept getting the "Charging Impossible". No reset or retry options.

Google told me this is a common Zoe problem and I should try another charger. The app told me about one 5 minutes away. How nice! Only this charger did not work either.

OK let me try a charger from a different provider. A new app search found one 10 minutes away. And pang! Then it hit me. Charging anxiety! I had 5% juice and wanted to drive and be somewhere in 45 minutes and the car would not charge! Whoa! I had to laugh because I never experienced this while driving my Tesla.

The fourth try. Connect cables. Swipe RFID. But no. Google suggested disconnecting the car, close it and wait 5 minutes. I did. Connected and swiped. Still "Charging Impossible".

There was a phone number. I called and a friendly lady said she'd force the charger to be on. It looked like it charged for a minute or so and then "Charging Impossible".

OK. I decided one more try and then I call a cab and the rental agency. Disconnected. Reconnected. Swiped. And it charged. Nerves high while waiting for the error. But after 2 minutes it was still OK. Skipped lunch because no app so I had to stay in the car to monitor the charging process.

But finally success! Got just enough charge to make my appointment.

Phew!

The car: Fun to drive, slow to charge. OK for a local runaround where you charge at home.

The charging network: Incredibly bad! I've heard stories and occasionally fumbled a bit charging my Tesla on a Chademo. But never anything like this! Tesla is so far ahead on this that it's mindboggling!

Its gonna close anywhere between $1494.79 and $1499.77 :)
Some technicals converging around ~1540 by Tuesday:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-07-30.20-00.TA.png

S&P announcement sure to affect this convergence if the Committee announces TSLA inclusion by then.

Cheers!