Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how it’s going to work, we’re all eventually getting exposed or a vaccine of some level of efficiency will become available after a chunk of the population has already been exposed....

There's another possibility, however remote. Big Pharma and their captive media and government agencies could lose their power to suppress the following facts:

1) Common viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, are no match for a healthy immune system.

2) Unhealthy immune systems can be rescued in emergencies by megadoses of vitamin C and D, which stop the "cytokine storm" that destroys lung tissue in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. New drugs and vaccines to fight COVID-19 are unnecessary.
Orthomolecular News

3) Unhealthy immune systems can be healed in non-emergencies by losing excess weight (obesity is a major risk for severe COVID-19) and by getting off the drugs commonly prescribed for diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. These drugs increase ACE2 receptors in the lungs that provide entry for coronavirus, and are generally unnecessary because all common degenerative diseases can be prevented or cured by healthy diet and lifestyle.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-obesity-risk-factor
ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers may increase the risk of severe COVID-19, paper suggests
NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

4) Animal agriculture, currently dominated by factory farms that require huge amounts of drugs, is the major source of pandemic viruses and drug-resistant bacteria, and a larger contributor to climate change than all of transportation. This double threat can be eliminated by transitioning to healthy whole-food plant-based diets.
Pandemics: History & Prevention | NutritionFacts.org
Livestock's Long Shadow - Wikipedia

5) In short, the science exists today to allow societies to reopen and live without fear of pandemics, without waiting for new drugs or vaccines. We just need to implement the science.

Will this hopeful news get out and stop the downward spiral of human health and the planet? It seems unlikely, given the immense power of certain industries (pharmaceutical, animal agriculture, processed food) and the reluctance of mainstream medicine to change.

On the other hand, the tobacco industry finally lost its great power over media, government, and the medical profession.
https://www.history.com/news/cigarette-ads-doctors-smoking-endorsement
And the oil industry finally lost its power to suppress climate science.
How the oil industry has spent billions to control the climate change conversation
And of course we know the powerful auto industry can be disrupted.

You can help disrupt the other industries that are killing people and the planet, by educating yourself and sharing the good news with the few people who will listen. Fundamental change often requires a 2-by-4 to the head, and coronavirus has delivered that. The Shanghai government now recommends Vitamin C for COVID-19, and clinical trials are currently underway in China to verify previous successful trials for other viruses. Maybe China will become a leader in both BEVs and non-drug medicine. That news might be hard to suppress.
Shanghai Government Officially Recommends Vitamin C for COVID-19
Vitamin C Evidence for Treating Complications of COVID-19 and other Viral Infections

That's the silver lining I hope for, so all the tragic deaths and suffering from coronavirus will not have been in vain.

Ford's results just hit my phone. Either Robinhood has the expectations wrong, or they missed by 92%.
$5 Ford longs?

Subway-5-Footlong-Ad.jpg

Ford's results just hit my phone. Either Robinhood has the expectations wrong, or they missed by 92%.

Here's their statement: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/04/28/1q-ford-financial.pdf

-$0.50 GAAP EPS, when the concensus was around -$0.10

"Reports net loss of $2.0 billion; adjusted earnings before interest and taxes was negative $632 million, including estimated negative effect of at least $2 billion from coronavirus"

Bleak outlook:

"In March, the company withdrew guidance for 2020 financial performance it had given in early February. That outlook excluded possible implications of the coronavirus, which at the time had not yet reached pandemic stage. According to Stone, today’s economic environment remains too ambiguous to provide full-year 2020 financial guidance. He said the company expects second-quarter adjusted EBIT to be a loss of more than $5 billion, as year-over-year industry volumes decline significantly in every region. "

Elon Musk to personally insure Tesla board, citing 'high premiums' — Business Insider

Tesla's chief executive and largest shareholder, Elon Musk, will be personally insuring its board of directors' liability because of high premiums quoted by insurance companies.

The move is possible thanks to a pledge by Musk to use 54% of his 24 million shares as collateral to provide the insurance coverage, according to the filing. That's up from 40% at the end of 2018, according to an analysis by Bloomberg News.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Seems like it could save the company some money, but is it really enough to make a difference? Or is this just a show of disdain for insurance companies?

I wonder if one unexpected consequence of this will be to embolden anti-Tesla forces (big oil, dealers, other OEMs, hedge funds short TSLA, etc) to look for any excuse to sue the officers and directors just to mess with Elon and his stock...

Does anyone here believe Ford has a legit shot to survive long term without a merger? Not me.

I think they need to merge with a European automaker. Further on down the line, probably GM does too.

These combined entities will become Tesla's long term EV competitors. The journey will be ugly and it will take a very long time, but this is where things are headed.

IMO, none of the EV startups (outside China) will ever be able to achieve large scale production unless they are absorbed by one of the above.

Call me a newbie, but why does the board have to be insured? Like, insured against what? And there are actual insurance companies to insure this? I'd think that large corporations would be self-backed to save on the premiums.
It's called "Directors and Officers Liability Insurance". It's too easy, particularly in the US, for people to sue the board of directors as individuals for things that the company may or may not have done wrong.

I don't think we will reach a GAPP of 4.20 no matter how much hot air is in the room.
Haha but analyst have Tesla posting a loss, but we’ve moved up to 769 going into this tomorrow. Theoretically, analyst being bearish short term but investors being bullish long term makes the earnings irrelevant. However we know we are moving 15% in one direction in less than 24 hours. So tomorrow either opens up a buying opportunity, or Tesla makes a statement with a good beat and an ATH

• Love
Reactions: Skryll
Here's how Tesla and SpaceX worked with and paid each other in the past year

Nothing particularly crazy, but it is an interesting article. I'd love to see what type of vehicle SpaceX is building out of Tesla parts. They should sell it and take advantage of the EV tax credit. ;)
Have expectations ever been so low and yet so high for an earnings report before?
This is Tesla so I'd say the answer is "every time". ;)

My dad was a die-hard Ford man. I myself am a die-hard Tesla man.

Times change...I’m thinking they change tomorrow.
I grew up a GM guy, then dabbled with BMW, now I'm definitely all in on the delicious electric kool-aide.

Well... I always thought ford was screwed, and made a few dollars shorting them in the past, but even I'm surprised just how bad their Q1 is. Q2 will be way worse, and then it becomes a self fulilling prophecy. Ford may *actually* go bankrupt, so...who will buy a new ford with that hanging over them?
FWIW I visited the F150 michigan plant a few years ago. It seemed extremely low tech to me, and felt like I was going back in time. Especially noticeable as they only let visitors see a certain bit of the line, presumably the impressive bit :D

Does anyone here believe Ford has a legit shot to survive long term without a merger? Not me.

I think they need to merge with a European automaker. Further on down the line, probably GM does too.

These combined entities will become Tesla's long term EV competitors. The journey will be ugly and it will take a very long time, but this is where things are headed.

IMO, none of the EV startups (outside China) will ever be able to achieve large scale production unless they are absorbed by one of the above.
Normally I'd say that they would get a bailout, but the US public is not going to be amenable to that given the recent controversies.
Well... I always thought ford was screwed, and made a few dollars shorting them in the past, but even I'm surprised just how bad their Q1 is. Q2 will be way worse, and then it becomes a self fulilling prophecy. Ford may *actually* go bankrupt, so...who will buy a new ford with that hanging over them?
FWIW I visited the F150 michigan plant a few years ago. It seemed extremely low tech to me, and felt like I was going back in time. Especially noticeable as they only let visitors see a certain bit of the line, presumably the impressive bit :D
Perhaps a buyout and spinning off the truck unit as a separate company. Similar to AMC and Jeep.