Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the mod conspiracy theory is truly wacky, and in my opinion a non-starter.
the mod likely feels guilty, for in essence banishing talk of the the thing that has caused great economic disruption. to be frank, i do not even know what mod it was, and do not really care. the board completely lost its way, talking of a few scattered rain drops, while a metaphorical financial tsunami was approaching from behind. to some extent this is still true.

i never thought i would say this, but we need more than one thread.
short term TSLA-less than one month .
medium term TSLA-one -6 months
long term TSLA-greater than 6 months

we all make mistakes. hopefully we learn from them, and move on.

I've always taken this thread to be primarily about short term trading: trading

And here's the thread for the long-term ;): Super Bulls Only

But honestly a dedicated long-term thread would be a little sparse. What would it involve? Checking in with each other once per year and whenever someone new asks "Is this a good time to buy?" answering "Yes" in chorus?

Here is the CEO of Autonation calling Tesla unethical and fraudulent. Autonation just got caught taking at least $77 million from the PPP and is having to return all of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...illions-received-nearly-95-million-sba-funds/

Based on my personal experience with as many as 15 lenders and talks with other business owners, the wast majority of the $350bil went to corporations.
It is funny how the media can not catch up on this, all articles I read couldn't really put together 2 and 2 and call it a fraud, they mostly call it some kind of unethical and such and even praise corporations caught on this for giving money back.
In reality, if a large corporation gets multiplies of $10 million in PPP loans, it means that they artificially constructed one or several legal entities and each "employed" a max allowed 500 people and each of them got max allowed 100k annual to the total of $10m (2.5 months of payroll). How this could be done in a good faith, or a coincidence - idk
Combine this with the fact that banks had a limited shared stack of money and were willing to get as much in fees as possible before other lenders will deplete the funds. So it was only logical for banks to prioritize $10-90m loans to $10-$90k loans requiring the same amount of paperwork.
I wish I read an article in MSM one day that can make it clear for the reader and make a list of such corporations.

WAY OT

These videos of the FSD update indicate it's super-beta. Lots more work to do.

A small rant at no one here and way OT... but at least it's the weekend.

The only thing I find annoying about this update is all the people driving in the fast lane when they should be in the slow lane while the car makes stops at green lights and they let it so they can get cool video and make money off clicks at the expense of annoying everyone else behind them. Is it typical for people testing a product for the first time to drive in the wrong lane?

If Tesla is trying to get the car to learn from this, isn't telling the car to proceed during a red light like spanking a kid for doing the right thing? (said out of humor than seriousness)

I have not heard back from Tesla about my BOD application.
So I must conclude the communication problems continue.

Sad really because it was such a great company....and I would be such a great addition.

edit...... of course it is still just the weekend ...so maybe on Monday.

I think the reason they did not reply to you is that your signature says “Sell order in at 3999”. How can Elon take a potential BOD member seriously with that target? Now, if you were to change that to 99999, your chances are much higher to join the BOD.

I know, I know OT post - sorry it’s the weekend.

I am waiting to pick up some call options for the ER. So just checking in on the sentiment here - looking great!

There’s just as much melodrama about how awful the stock is doing or will do, how it’s going to be negatively affected by so and so leaving the company, by a tweet from the CEO, by the short sellers doing interviews, by the price of oil going up or going down, by analyst downgrades, by the release of an EV by some want to be competitor in 5 years, by cash burn, by a missed deadline, by a snow storm delaying year end deliveries, by demand issues, by currency exchange rates, by lawsuits, by Brexit, by the price of tea in China and certainly it’s been discussed at length how much the pandemic is going to negatively affect TSLA.

And you know what, people have lost money listening to that doom and gloom too. So I’m really not sure what you’re on about.

I’ve read this forum for 8 years. It cyclical like everything else in life. It goes through periods of manic depression and euphoria and everything in between because that’s how people behave in real life when they are emotionally invested in whatever. Add money to the mix and you can expect an even bigger emotional response. Very few people can entirely remove emotions from the money equation.

I’ve been holding TSLA stock since 2012 and don’t day trade or play options, nor do I encourage others to do the last two. I’ve added to those original shares the last couple of times people on here went all demand is an issue crazy, just like I ‘joked’ I would do. I’ve never advocated getting rich quick and I do in fact hold more than enough shares to buy an island; though admittedly not Australia or Hawaii.

I did almost buy a 3/4 acre island several years ago with a cute house on it. It wasn’t as much money as you might think. So joking, not joking. I’d totally walk into a bank with duffel bags to withdraw my money.

Interesting just for the sake of interest or do you want to try and extrapolate it into what’s going to happen in present day? Bad idea if it’s the latter and the reason why some just can’t get out of their own way, be happy, and financially comfortable.

@Krugerrand, I agree the FUD on all things Tesla is wrong, misdirected at best and malicious at worst. Reading this thread this weekend with multiple posters taking about getting "rich quick" (not you, and I do regret using your "island" reference in my last post), is the flip side and not much better IMHO. My point was simply to state with the recent 100% runup in TSLA over the last five weeks and general malais in the market, shooting further upwards directly after the Quarterly report this week is not guaranteed.

It was @PeterJA that said your island was a joke, not me. It wouldn't surprise me at all that some TMC members could affort their own personal island retreat, especially when accumulating TSLA in the double digits, and yes I understand that "island" is a metaphor for being independently wealthy and secure without need any outside interference.

As for Ford, in 1917 they produced 700k vehicles and they grew to >$10M vehicles per year, so the Spanish Influenza will show that it was a mere blip on their radar. Ford stock was a keeper until it reached its high in 1998. Still nothing wrong with extrapoloting past similar events to compare to the present (my interest was for OEM, not Tesla which has no competition and is supply constraint). I stated many times that my market timing sucks and my buy and hold strategy has always worked better.

I think the reason they did not reply to you is that your signature says “Sell order in at 3999”. How can Elon take a potential BOD member seriously with that target? Now, if you were to change that to 99999, your chances are much higher to join the BOD.

I know, I know OT post - sorry it’s the weekend.

I am waiting to pick up some call options for the ER. So just checking in on the sentiment here - looking great!
And that is why I love this forum!

How silly of me to have misplaced the decimal point. Of course the Hubble had some issues back in the day due to a silly math error.

And that is why I love this forum!

How silly of me to have misplaced the decimal point. Of course the Hubble had some issues back in the day due to a silly math error.
So your sell order is for $39.99? WIth the decimal point of course.

...Reading this thread this weekend with multiple posters taking about getting "rich quick".... My point was simply to state with the recent 100% runup in TSLA over the last five weeks and general malais in the market, shooting further upwards directly after the Quarterly report this week is not guaranteed....

Got it. Thank you. However...

No one claimed a run-up after ER is guaranteed. No one claimed anything about TSLA is guaranteed, except continued volatility, at least until S&P inclusion.

No one talked about getting rich quick, unless you consider 1-2 years to be quick. Maybe you do. However, I didn't say it was guaranteed, just highly likely if Tesla launches robotaxis within 2 years as predicted by Elon and ARK Invest, and as recent software news makes more likely.

We have to invest based on likelihood, or else miss huge opportunities.

Again, with respect, if you have specific reasons to think TSLA will not be a 10-bagger in 5 years (contrary to ARK's expected value), I'd love to hear them. I bet everyone would. But "nothing is guaranteed" is obvious, not helpful.

Last edited:
I think Tesla might be getting a bit of push back on the early Fremont opening..

Elon Musk on Twitter
What early reopening? They've called some employees back. That's all we know. Reopening on May 4th no doubt requires some preparations, which will require calling some employees back before May 4th. Can we please leave the MUS to TSLAQ?

Here is the CEO of Autonation calling Tesla unethical and fraudulent. Autonation just got caught taking at least $77 million from the PPP and is having to return all of it.

Well, I don't like the guy either however the video you linked doesn't include him calling Tesla unethical and fraudulent. At least not quite. He says Autopilot is over-promising in an "almost unethical" manner and that he doesn't think there is another retailer in America that could get away with the "bait and switch" method with which Tesla sold the "$35,000 Model 3".

Whether Tesla is over-promising in an "almost unethical" way is debatable. Personally, I think it's pretty damn obvious that Autopilot is a work in progress and the milestones are estimated, not absolute.

Of course, he's full of crap on the "bait and switch" comment because the Model 3 was advertised as "starting at $35,000" and every other automaker doing business in America uses the same hard to find, bare-bones, low "starting at" price for a stripped-down model. And Tesla DID deliver on the $35,000 model for those reservationists who wanted to wait for the shortest range model. He would only have a point, and a tenuous one at that, if the deposit money was not fully refundable. But it was. So he's just another wacky Tesla FUDster.

Well, I don't like the guy either however the video you linked doesn't include him calling Tesla unethical and fraudulent. At least not quite. He says Autopilot is over-promising in an "almost unethical" manner and that he doesn't think there is another retailer in America that could get away with the "bait and switch" method with which Tesla sold the "$35,000 Model 3".

Whether Tesla is over-promising in an "almost unethical" way is debatable. Personally, I think it's pretty damn obvious that Autopilot is a work in progress and the milestones are estimated, not absolute.

Of course, he's full of crap on the "bait and switch" comment because the Model 3 was advertised as "starting at $35,000" and every other automaker doing business in America uses the same hard to find, bare-bones, low "starting at" price for a stripped-down model. And Tesla DID deliver on the $35,000 model for those reservationists who wanted to wait for the shortest range model. He would only have a point, and a tenuous one at that, if the deposit money was not fully refundable. But it was. So he's just another wacky Tesla FUDster.

Bait and switch is considered a fraudulent method of selling.

Reactions: UCF3
the mod conspiracy theory is truly wacky, and in my opinion a non-starter.
the mod likely feels guilty, for in essence banishing talk of the the thing that has caused great economic disruption.

Oh, please! The Mod did not go astray by making a separate thread for discussing the intricacies of COVID-19 - that was just plain common sense. The mistake was to treat some of our most valued contributors in a disrespectful manner.

i never thought i would say this, but we need more than one thread.

Huh? 1/2 year? You have a strange definition of what constitutes the beginning of "long-term".

The video you linked doesn't include him calling Tesla unethical and fraudulent. And I disagree that Tesla used "bait and switch" to market the Model 3. I hope that makes it more clear.

He said they sell by bait and switch, which is fraudulent. Any company which is selling the majority of their product by fraud is by definition unethical. Therefore there is nothing wrong with my claim that he called Tesla unethical and fraudulent.

Reactions: EinSV
In order to bring in money, there is always a rush amongst Youtubers to publish the first video. It's sad they don't want to allow enough time for an in-depth examination and review.

My opinion for TSLA this week is that it will climb due to the early re-opening. Expect incoming grenades from Kolodny that will fail to detonate. Re-opening on the same day as the earnings report will keep Tesla in the news all week!!!

This bodes well for tomorrow and for Q1 numbers. Tesla is positioning itself to be a bright spot in a dark and stormy sea that is the current economy. That ray of sunshine that peaks through and lifts people's spirits.

I strongly doubt that Tesla would call back employees early if the Q1 numbers aren't going to be impressive because it would make them look too desperate. This is an obvious projection of strength.