Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was playing catchup on this thread just now (a day or two behind), and saw a bunch of people making seemingly giddy posts about TSLA hitting $350 in after-hours trading. i was VERY confused until i realized i had somehow jumped back to December! Just a reminder, not so long ago, $350 was cause for celebration. :)

forum has lost substantial value due to the absence of @KarenRei and @FactChecking so I just had to cancel my $120/yr membership

sadly, i did the same. i could always change my mind though.

AT.jpg

EV Sales: Austria February 2020

forum has lost substantial value due to the absence of @KarenRei and @FactChecking so I just had to cancel my $120/yr membership (ie. disable auto renew)

I did the same as a token of support for @KarenRei and @Fact Checking. I'll re-subscribe once they're back.

@Fact Checking is/was my favorite TMC poster.

I have a lot of sympathy for the mods, because it must be a hell of a job to moderate a forum with this high-volume.

However, for @KarenRei to have quit TMC, a community she's likely spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours contributing to, somebody must've been extremely rude to her.

Just like members should not be rude towards one another on the forum, moderators should not be rude and disrespectful to members either, no matter the offense. If somebody intentionally makes a serious forum rules violation, temp or perma ban the member, and let the punishment speak for itself. Being rude/threatening is never the answer.

Well said! I followed suit and canceled my subscription. I don't always agree with them and I don't like FC's frequent injection of strident politics into his posts, but they are indispensable members of this community for whom I have tremendous respect and frankly, stand in awe of the scope of their intellects.

I truly hope Lord Vetinari and his team of mods reconsider their decision and offer an olive branch to this esteemed pair. And if they do so, I hope FC and Karen will graciously accept and we can all chalk this up to the extraordinary and frightening crisis which has befallen the world.

Be safe everybody!

I did the same as a token of support for @KarenRei and @Fact Checking. I'll re-subscribe once they're back.

@Fact Checking is/was my favorite TMC poster.

I have a lot of sympathy for the mods, because it must be a hell of a job to moderate a forum with this high-volume.

However, for @KarenRei to have quit TMC, a community she's likely spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours contributing to, somebody must've been extremely rude to her.

Just like members should not be rude towards one another on the forum, moderators should not be rude and disrespectful to members either, no matter the offense. If somebody intentionally makes a serious forum rules violation, temp or perma ban the member, and let the punishment speak for itself. Being rude/threatening is never the answer.

Just cancelled my autorenew as well.

And, I'll quote @KarenRei's signature:

I've been informed by a mod that "25-30%" of what I post is unwelcome. Fine; I have no interest in being where I'm not welcome. Bye all - you've been great over these years. Love you guys :)

I can almost see 25-30% being in the wrong thread, but unwelcome altogether?

Seriously?

forum has lost substantial value due to the absence of @KarenRei and @FactChecking so I just had to cancel my $120/yr membership (ie. disable auto renew)

I've been gone for a short time due to the coronavirus shutdown shenanigans and these two informative people left the board? What crazy stuff did I miss? That's sad. :(

Well, I hope TSLA has nowhere but to go up at this point. My wife is not happy that we ran out of dry powder to buy some at this cheap price. Seems like the bottom for TSLA just might be in the rear view mirror now. Hopefully the upcoming quarter data will be decent news to save TSLA from free falling with the rest of the stocks.

This forum isn't about one or two member's contributions, there are many quality posters here - you know who you are.

However, something has gone very, very wrong with the moderation here, so wrong that I don't think Karen will be coming back.

And until this is resolved, I'm logging out too, and yeah, likely cancel my subscription as this and PapaFox's daily are the only two threads I tend to follow. Not that I add a lot anyway, other than some wise-cracks.

Cheers to you all and stay safe.

Maybe the mod who assailed Karen is a deep cover TeslaQ plant! I can't come up with a better explanation! Argghhh!

This forum isn't about one or two member's contributions, there are many quality posters here - you know who you are.

However, something has gone very, very wrong with the moderation here, so wrong that I don't think Karen will be coming back.

And until this is resolved, I'm logging out too, and yeah, likely cancel my subscription as this and PapaFox's daily are the only two threads I tend to follow. Not that I add a lot anyway, other than some wise-cracks.

Cheers to you all and stay safe.

Tl;Dr;
Off topic posts are off topic, 30% off topic/'unwelcome' means 70%, a super majority, on topic / 'welcome'.
Rather than quit due to 'threat' where the only possible action is removing ability to post, one can dial it back in the thread that is being addressed.

Long version:
It is said there are n sides to a story: what each person's experience was, and what really happened.
Here is mine (a non-mod)

Regarding the tweet
A specific mod. Sent me a threatening PM. Not the first time. The previous time it had been to "preemptively" threatening to punish me for something I hadn't done. In response to a post I wrote about, I kid you not, how deliveries were going in Iceland."

"There's no point in waiting or the next shoe to drop. If you're on a forum and a mod has it out for you, you're in a gunfight armed with a wiffle bat."

"It's a real shame. :( But it's the way it is.
Wiffle bat? Gunfight? It's a forum, with threads, that anyone can start.

But sounds bad, right? Premptively warnings? Well, she already told us about that warning:
Mar 15
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
Yes, I mentioned it in the Coronavirus thread, as I was preemptively warned by the mods not to discuss it in this one. :)

Was that a spontaneous warning? No, previous car centric posts:
Feb 24 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
Feb 30 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
5YJ3E7EB8LF562686 No comment. ;)
Mar 4: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Mar 5 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
Unrelated, and left with no comment and no need to reply: 11-03-20 14:00 ;) )

Each of which spawned replies.

Regardless of who's car it is, is a single delivery on topic for this thread?

Regarding the residual signature:
I've been informed by a mod that "25-30%" of what I post is unwelcome. Fine; I have no interest in being where I'm not welcome. Bye all - you've been great over these years. Love you guys :)

First off, we don't know what the actual wording was. Second, 25% to 30% unwelcome means 70% to 75% welcome.
Those who have been here longer than 2017 know the side tracks that have happened to this thread.
Is being told to keep things in this thread focused (and I say this thread since mods have limited domains) wrong?

Was this helpful or informative at all? Only one person voted yes.
Gee, if only I had stopped my volatility play yesterday and switched instead to buying back all of the now-cheap short legs of my call spreads (long play)

Oh wait, that's exactly what I did ;)

Still, I'm not interested yet in starting to convert any back. Maybe later today, we'll see.

There is this from Friday, which again spawned multiple responses (which of which were deleted, including her response that explains the joke):
No, with great power comes great I²R.
One person (the same one) rated it informative, the rest like, love, or funny.

Which was shortly followed by
MODERATOR ALL READ -

Any of you who do more than look at your own posts will have noticed that a LOT of posts are getting deleted, with "Wrong thread"-type notices.

What you might not realize is that repeat offenders also are showing up as being banned. Now, I really hate that term but it is what the TMC platform uses. The less draconian and more accurate term for this 'ban' is "posting privileges canceled for __X__ period". A real banishment is something quite different.

You ALL have had many, many posts and other notifications from Moderators over many, many months about respecting thread topics and other forms of posting responsibly. Moderators cannot be in all places at all times under even the most halcyon conditions, much less so now. So although we would like to be consistent, it never will be so. And that, dear members, is why when we do crack down, we mean it.

Prohibiting posters from posting hurts everyone, as members who fairly consistently provide a real service with high quality posts - not just lazy posters ("yes, that particular point or news item has been discussed already; your bringing it up again simply stuffs up the thread") and goof-offs, let alone trolls - will be subject to this, depriving others of their insights.

Note that KR is in the likes on that post.

Options:
  • Quit (KR was not banned)
  • Dial it back on this thread
  • Make a separate thread
N sides to a story

All change involves loss

Be safe out there

Tl;Dr;
Off topic posts are off topic, 30% off topic/'unwelcome' means 70%, a super majority, on topic / 'welcome'.
Rather than quit due to 'threat' where the only possible action is removing ability to post, one can dial it back in the thread that is being addressed.

Long version:
It is said there are n sides to a story: what each person's experience was, and what really happened.
Here is mine (a non-mod)

Regarding the tweet
Wiffle bat? Gunfight? It's a forum, with threads, that anyone can start.

But sounds bad, right? Premptively warnings? Well, she already told us about that warning:
Mar 15

Was that a spontaneous warning? No, previous car centric posts:
Feb 24 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
Feb 30 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Mar 4: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Mar 5 Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Each of which spawned replies.

Regardless of who's car it is, is a single delivery on topic for this thread?

Regarding the residual signature:

First off, we don't know what the actual wording was. Second, 25% to 30% unwelcome means 70% to 75% welcome.
Those who have been here longer than 2017 know the side tracks that have happened to this thread.
Is being told to keep things in this thread focused (and I say this thread since mods have limited domains) wrong?

Was this helpful or informative at all? Only one person voted yes.

There is this from Friday, which again spawned multiple responses (which of which were deleted, including her response that explains the joke):

One person (the same one) rated it informative, the rest like, love, or funny.

Which was shortly followed by

Note that KR is in the likes on that post.

Options:
  • Quit (KR was not banned)
  • Dial it back on this thread
  • Make a separate thread
N sides to a story

All change involves loss

Be safe out there
Regardless, damage is done. I will keep my own opinion to myself for now, but I do have one.

Reactions: humbaba
I created a Tesla Open Investors Discord community: Join the Tesla Open Investors Club Discord Server!
An invitation was sent to @KarenRei on twitter.
If @Fact Checking is still around, please join too.

The focus is freedom of speech with minimal moderation.

I want this to exist alongside TMC, not compete with it. The welcome post links to TMC, and I have no interest in monetizing or stealing anyone's userbase.

I am all-in TSLA and the only motivation is to keep @Fact Checking and @KarenRei 's insights going for the greater good of long investors, Tesla, Elon and a green future.

Thanks.