Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is generally misleading and often incorrect. Fir inherited wealth, sure. Self made types very often have attorneys, accountants and some even are clients of Prime brokers. Few self made ones delegate their wealth management to outsiders. Of course the only ones I actually know about for sure are ones I have met professionally or otherwise. The majority of those are not US residents.
You have met foreign billionaires who read forums about companies they want to invest in ? Delegation is not the same as "black box" - they are actively involved, but ask their managers to do the research. I'm fairly sure Larry decided to invest after talking to his wealth managers and Musk - not by reading TMC.

ps : Even a lot of regular investors don't read TMC. I never read the market forums on TMC until the infamous going private tweet.

Reactions: Electroman
I don't agree with @neroden on the bankruptcy thing, but I do agree that Tesla's service experience is atrocious. Not everywhere, but in some locations.

In my personal experience, here in New Mexico (where by law Tesla is unable to open even one service center), especially in the past six months right up til present day, Tesla's service has collapsed into a pile of rubble. Communication is even more insane and atrocious than ever, maddeningly Kafkaesque, and that is during those few moments when there *is* communication; weeks pass in-between such periods, and no degree of emails/calls/texts to Tesla make much of a difference. I'm to the point that if anyone were to walk up to me in New Mexico and say, so, should I buy a Tesla? I would say, if you live in New Mexico, DON'T buy one, wait until there's a service center here, and that might be years from now.

(Like always, I will add the perpetual disclaimer that once you get a mobile service tech to your house, they are knowledgeable, friendly, courteous, conscientious, and do everything they can to resolve all issues. I have no beef with the mobile techs. My beef's with the people (where they still exist) back in the cubicles in undisclosed locations who demonstrate zero accountability nor any understanding of the importance of managing expectations, and the senior management who likewise show zero accountability or understanding of the importance of managing expectations, but also, I fear, are utterly unaware of these service communications failures because they, like most Tesla owners in TMC, rely on confirmation bias and assume glowing reviews from surveys means everything's hunky-dory. It isn't.)
Not in New Mexico, but 100 miles from a service center. I find the schedule service function in the app works. Also, when you make an appointment with it, Tesla diagnosis your car remotely. They fixed my last problem without a trip to the service center.

CYBRTRK interest will be huge. Thursday November 21st, 2019 will be a watershed moment for Tesla, and personal transportation. The 2016 Tesla M3 reveal event will pale in comparison.

The worldwide market for pick-up trucks far outpaces sedans by a factor of four to five.
Ford sold 909,330 F-series pick-up trucks. The three best selling vehicles are all pick-ups.
The best selling sedan is the Toyota Camry in 8th place at 343,439 with the Honda Civic in 9th place at 325,760.
20 Best-Selling Cars And Trucks Of 2018

I always thought that if @neroden bailed I would as well. However, my car needed body work which was done at a Tesla service center this year. While it could have gone a little better, overall it went at least as well as I would expect from anywhere else. But I was not able to talk to anyone ahead of time. Luckily for me, service center is an hour, so I made appointment on app and drove there. If I didn’t have a service center so close it could have been disastrous. I think if you don’t live near a service center, Tesla’s service can be disastrous. But that is something that is very fixable and I believe it will be fixed long before it generates a sales disaster.
People often confuse Tesla service with Bodyshop.

Service is the unit that responds to warranty claims and defects.
Bodyshop is where you fix collisions and damages.

I don’t have any experience with service because our Model3 didn’t need any service during the first year.

And their body shops are getting better, they use to have huge back logs and shortage of parts, but seems to getting better every day, also, you could chose a 3rd party one if you can’t wait.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
There are 2 types of billionaires. Very active ones - who are super into their own companies etc. I Doubt they have the time to surf TMC.

The lazy ones are more into their own billionaire leisure activities.

The most likely way some billionaire would have visited TMC if they follow Musk on Twitter and if he ever linked to something on TMC (I don't think he has). We know Larry is obviously very interested in Tesla - but do you think he visits TMC ? SV billionaires probably know enough people who can tell them what's happening with Tesla over lunch & dinner.

Bottomline : Its just my opinion vs yours. Lets agree to disagree.

Outing oneself online as a bilionaire is equivalent to asking ppl to scam you.

Unles some of us here is actually one or knows one in real life and saw him browse tmc, there's no way to know. Even then screaming out you know one will probably bring the ire from that "friend".

I personally suspect only one of us might be in that category, but there is no way to prove it.

Reactions: SpaceCash
CYBRTRK interest will be huge. Thursday November 21st, 2019 will be a watershed moment for Tesla, and personal transportation. The 2016 Tesla M3 reveal event will pale in comparison.

The worldwide market for pick-up trucks far outpaces sedans by a factor of four to five.
Ford sold 909,330 F-series pick-up trucks. The three best selling vehicles are all pick-ups.
The best selling sedan is the Toyota Camry in 8th place at 343,439 with the Honda Civic in 9th place at 325,760.
Agreed. I am long TSLA but wish I had the money (and balls) to short FCA as well because this is gonna put a major hurt on car makers without an electric future.

Is the f-series really homogeneous enough between all the cab/bed/engine variants for that to be a fair comparison to a single sedan model? (And FYI your numbers are US only which tilts towards trucks)

Without knowing the configuration or configuration options for the cybertruck it's hard to calculate the portion of the truck market that will be its addressable market.

• Helpful
Reactions: Unpilot
Gali @ Hyperchange has a new video out speculating Tesla could become a trillion dollar company within five years by licensing the electric skateboard and FSD to Volkswagen, Toyota, etc.
His numbers seem pretty arbitrary and there are lots of complications, but I could imagine this happening in a limited way in a few years. It would be consistent with Tesla’s mission, after all...

I’m excited for the reveal, but I don’t think the statement you made about pick up trucks being 4-5x larger market than the sedan market is at all realistic.

Reactions: Tim S
Not in New Mexico, but 100 miles from a service center. I find the schedule service function in the app works. Also, when you make an appointment with it, Tesla diagnosis your car remotely. They fixed my last problem without a trip to the service center.

That's good to hear. Still, I'm always surprised when people say their Tesla needed service. I've had mine over a year and my wife's is closer to 2 years and neither one has needed a lick of service after 30K+ miles. They are definitely NOT garage queens! I just rotate the tires when I switch from summer to winter and that's it besides occasional washing/waxing/vacuuming/window polishing. They both still look and drive like new. If I'm going to invest my money in a company that manufactures finished products for consumer use (like cars), it's only going to be with a company that puts out a superior product like the Model 3.

I do have a few scuffs and scratches in the cargo area because I hate using the gas truck. If it won't fit in the cargo area of the 3 I lash it onto the roof rack. If it's too heavy for the roof rack I ask myself if it really needs moving because I really hate to drive the truck unless I'm on a firewood hunting expedition. I scavenge the trees that have fallen down the previous winter before they start to rot. They are going to release their carbon back into the atmosphere whether I leave them to rot on the forest floor or take them home and split and dry them so I can heat my house. My wife said she gassed the F-150 up this week for the first time in months and it took $98 worth of regular! Now it needs an oil/filter change! We have a good relationship with the Ford dealer but we have to drive 45 minutes (past two dealers we have had not such great experiences with).

With the Teslas, It's kind of hard to build a relationship with your service advisor when your cars never need service! We will take my wife's 3 in for the first time next year at around the 2 year mark but I don't think it will need anything besides replacing the brake fluid and rotating the tires since we will be there anyway. Or can the mobile tech do a 2-year service? That would be awesome! :)

Quintillions.

Because, as all know, the laws of supply and demand do not apply in extraterrestrial economies......:confused:
SpaceX will be happy to sell you water and fuel for your return trip to Earth for “a fair market price” after they set up shop on Mars. I expect them to be more than one step ahead of our wildest dreams in terms of technology development plans and marketing.

A stainless steel reusable rocket bigger than the Saturn V

Providing global broadband coverage with 42000 satellites

Landing TWO first stage rockets simultaneously

Did not see these developments coming...

But I think their income is unlikely to be more than, say half of global GDP (90 trillion bucks) in the near future.

I’m excited for the reveal, but I don’t think the statement you made about pick up trucks being 4-5x larger market than the sedan market is at all realistic.

I don't think it will translate into 4-5 times more Cybertruck sales than the very popular Model 3 but it *does* mean they only need to woo a small fraction of the pickup market to sell all they can produce!