Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I don't recall having written a single post on the Topic-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named after said topic was prohibited (had written several posts before it), and still got the same sweeping delete-and-ban-threat.

There was one single mild complaint, after a long discussion, and the topic died down a lot after said single mild complaint. Let's not overreact. And it's not like it's not an important, widely disputed topic.

Lastly: do the shorts even know that the market is open today??? ;)
I posted Elon's tweet on the subject which kicked off this round of speculation. I am sorry. My social credit score has been lowered appropriately.

As a moderator: you are welcome for civilized discussion - which you say is your intent - but please show an open mind. If you cannot have an open mind, this is not the place for you.

Absolutely! I realize I'm a guest here. I'm definitely not here to push my viewpoint, mostly just to listen to another point of view.

I hope you realize that a short position via stock has unlimited liability (theoretically, your broker will force you out well before infinity). A bear position via puts is bounded though.

Yes, of course. Depending on the period I might be outright short (but with a position size that wouldn't blow me up even if Tesla were to have a 100% overnight gap up) or have a bearish position via options or option spreads. Thanks for the heads up though!

Are you short as in day trader or based on the fundamentals?

Most people here are bulls based on long term vision an will not help you with the short term trades.

If you truly believe that Tesla is doomed based on revenue fall compared to the Q3 18 when only top-optioned cars were sold and after the prices fell by over the phased out tax credit amount, you are not seeing the big picture, which is these price drops are what is reinforcing the fate of ICE. The more the prices drop, the sooner this fate will come.

I'm short based on fundamentals, but the basic premise is nothing you haven't already heard a hundred times. If I have anything interesting to offer I'll post an idea, but again I'm not here to push my (not very original) point of view. My question was about "trading" the earnings though, that's true. I like to adjust my position based on what's going on.

So you are from Italy. If in Italy it is still warm enough to wear short shorts you are OK, because while shorting Tesla you can lose your pants.

Fair enough :)

Revenue should be in the $6 - $6.5 billion range. Q3 Revenue will be lower year over year than 2018 because Q3 2018 in particular was exceptional -- they delivered an insane ratio of P3D cars. For the full year, though, 2019 revenue will still blow away 2018 revenue. This is a company that is growing steeply and steadily in sales and revenue, while its (ICE) competitors falter and erode.

I don't think anyone's expecting a profit, or revenue to exceed Q3 2018

Again, very interesting and not what I was expecting to hear. I might change my position.

Welcome to TMC. Playing TSLA based on upcoming quarterly reports is essentially just gambling no matter whether long or short.
I'd say that depends. If you have (or think you have) more information (or better information) compared to the rest of market about the contents of the report, you can try to anticipate the surprise. Of course you can be wrong, but it's about risk and reward. It seems like I did not have better information though. Looks like bulls and bears are on the same page about what revenues are going to look like.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates 469-399 BC
It's all been downhill since the hittites fell.

As far as I know, @RobStark isn't a troll. I don't think he's bearish on Tesla at all. Granted, I haven't read everything on this forum, but I don't think I've seen a single post from him revealing a bearish position on Tesla. He does seem quite bullish on Porsche, but that doesn't make him bearish on Tesla.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say he's more of the belief that there's plenty of room in the high-performance EV market for both Porsche and Tesla.
I wonder what do you think the post comparing Tesla's celebration of the first model S delivery at the end of a working production line, to Rivian's celebration of their first truck, in an completely empty hall?

I'd say that depends. If you have (or think you have) more information (or better information) compared to the rest of market about the contents of the report, you can try to anticipate the surprise. Of course you can be wrong, but it's about risk and reward. It seems like I did not have better information though. Looks like bulls and bears are on the same page about what revenues are going to look like.

Wait, didn't you just define the word gamble?

Dan

Every seasoned Tesla investor is just nervously waiting for that moment when volume dries up and manipulation takes over and the gains are cut in half...........I'd love to just be paranoid and proven wrong :p

Recognize that today is different than the past week:
* Today is day 6 in a row of gains for TSLA, which is very rare
* Volume is noticeably higher than normal
* Today will be the first day since the bid up to the Q2 ER that TSLA reclaims 250 at close
* Word is out now that shorts are covering. This covering leads to other covering by shorts, which continues the upward pressure
* Investors are awaiting word that GF3 has come online
* Percent of TSLA selling by shorts has dipped from above 60% to 52%, suggesting less willingness to use algos to manipulate

A bevy of talking heads have been pontificating that TSLA is locked in a 150-250 trading range now. Today's trading shows this theory is incorrect. The upper bollinger band stands at 255.38. Let's see how we do relative to the upper bb on close.

Edit: Well, you have to give the manipulators credit for trying. At 3:03pm we say 14K shares sold in one minute and at 3:07pm we say 16K sold. The stock price took a small dip and then recovered. No doubt they'll continue fishing for weakness, but they didn't find it on that attempt!

Last edited:
As far as I know, @RobStark isn't a troll. I don't think he's bearish on Tesla at all. Granted, I haven't read everything on this forum, but I don't think I've seen a single post from him revealing a bearish position on Tesla. He does seem quite bullish on Porsche, but that doesn't make him bearish on Tesla.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say he's more of the belief that there's plenty of room in the high-performance EV market for both Porsche and Tesla.

For real. I've been lurking since '13 and Rob is one of the OG's. I value the information he provides here and his point of view even when they differ from my own.

A lot of folks crowing about "the mission" and concern-trolling Porsche's contribution to that mission in the next sentence.

Wait, didn't you just define the word gamble?

Dan

More or less it does line up with the definition of gambling, yes. On the other hand, you can apply the same principle to something like long-horizon value investing where you hope that your interpretation of the financial statements of a company, its position in the market and its future cashflows is better than that other investors have (or are forced to have, as an example when they are forced to invest in companies above a certain market cap). It still is about risk and reward.

Even when you are purely a value investor in the original definition of the term, where you look at price to book, EV/income, FCF and so on, you still don't want to just buy a piece of a good company for a fair price, you want to buy companies for below their fair price, or at least buy companies for which the market price is inferior to what your guess of the company's fair value is; you want to have a margin of safety and a good risk/reward profile. I think conceptually that's similar to playing an earning release, just on very different time scales and with different kinds of information: a mismatch of fundamental factors and market valuation, compared to a mismatch of short term expectations and realized results.

Hi, I'm a "short" (a student with only peanuts I can afford to lose at stake, a very small fraction of the position size most of you likely have).

I come in peace! I'd like to have respectful conversations, ask questions about the current bull line of thinking, and provide answers about the current bear line of thinking if anyone would like to know. I hope that's OK.

More specifically, I had one question in mind about revenues. Since deliveries are up YoY, do bulls generally expect revenue also to be up? I've seen some chatter and modeling suggesting revenues to be around $6.5B, which would be below 2018 Q3. I have no idea if this is going to be correct or not; just offering what I'm reading on my feed. Any thoughs on whether this is possible, expected, or unlikely would be appreciated.

Hi MFranc. Thanks for the respectful intro, and welcome from the other side of the pond. :)

First off, I think you seem to have a misconception on hand: that the reaction to a quarterly report should be based on whether it's good or bad news. That's not how it works. The reaction to any news is (at least in theory) based on whether it's worse or better than what people already expect. Now, that's theory at least, and reality can differ. But, at least in theory, if bad news is expected, it should already be factored in. Your investment choices should be relative to how much better or worse you think it's going to be than what's expected.

The big money already expects a revenue drop YoY, and generally a lot more concerned with QoQ regardless. And they're always much more focused on profits than revenue. The focus on profit is IMHO is rather silly; its FCF that determines Tesla's ability to keep the lights on as it grows production, release new products and expands into new markets, which in the long-term outgrows the liabilities side of the profit equation). And it's cash on hand that determines their ability to weather adverse events. Tesla can at any point cut growth to boost profit, but investors prefer the opposite - drowning the liabilities side of the profit equation by growing future revenue. But I digress.

Most people aren't dumb enough to not understand why revenues are down YoY. A year ago Tesla was almost exclusively burning off years of accumulated reservations; today it's almost entirely new reservations. A year ago Tesla had a $7500 tax credit in its largest market; today it's $1875. Price cuts were obviously essential - and indeed, the very goal (I find it amusing to see the same shorts criticize Tesla for cutting prices, who previously were condemning them for not having released the $35k Model 3). Additionally, a year ago Tesla didn't have Model 3 competing with S&X in most of the world; now it self-competes almost everywhere.

The key figure to watch is COGS. Because the simple fact is that COGS has been declining rapidly every quarter, which is how margins are almost as high today - despite the price cuts - as they were in Q3, with its much higher prices. The COGS reductions are virtually inherent with Tesla expanding its production. Do you see any new buildings at GF1? There've been no new cell lines for quite a while. At Fremont, there's no new stamping lines. No new body lines. No new paint shops. No new GA lines. Only minimal hiring. Yet they're making far more vehicles now, with a given amount of infrastructure. This means an inherent reduction in COGS.

Now even if production ceases scaling at Fremont (news flash: it won't, and the trend and permit filings should make that clear), Tesla now has a brand new Gigafactory coming online. It contributed zero in Q3 - just a money sink. How much it contributes in Q4 is up in the air. But soon it's going to be producing 3k vehicles per week. What do you think that's going to do to revenue, FCF and profits? And if you think that the markets are blind to this fact, think again; they simply time-discount it relative to their assessments of timing and risk. The more progress they see, the more they adjust their revenue estimates up, and the higher they value the company.

Thus we invariably circle back to demand. Tesla shorts always predict "demand peaks", and they've done it every single quarter of Tesla's history. Which - spoiler alert - not only hasn't happened, but the opposite keeps happening. They'll obsess over any given market, without looking at the bigger picture, which is that "good market changes" are just as likely as "bad market changes", the overall global EV market grows dramatically every year, and even still, despite expanding into new markets each quarter, Tesla still hasn't moved into a number of the world's largest auto markets (Russia, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, India, etc etc). Until you hear something like "Tesla expanded into Rwanda this quarter", the expansion is still continuing unabated. FYI, you're talking to a person who's still sitting on a years-old reservation waiting for Tesla to expand into my market.

Markets go through phases.

1) Backlog builds
2) Tesla starts delivering, and there's a flood of deliveries
3) Tesla fills the backlog, and the market becomes weak
4) New demand starts to build, and deliveries increase again - not up to flood levels, but to sustained levels (which A) will still show seasonal variations, will B) on average grow YoY alongside the overall global EV market, but C) respond highly positively or negatively to government policies - which again, may be more pro-EV or more anti-EV than previous policies).

On that last point, let me remark that some of the largest potential EV markets - US, Germany, I'm looking at you - have rather weak incentives for Tesla at present, so there's a lot of potential upside from future policy changes.

The various markets that Tesla operates in are in various phases. For example, the US is in stage #4 - backlog built, got filled, fell weak, then recovered - and now will fluctuate seasonally and follow the overall EV growth trend. Some markets like the UK and Australia went into #2 last quarter (still in #2, but should be filled by the end of this quarter). Some new large EV markets, like South Korea, are going into #2 this quarter, and will probably continue suchly into Q1. Norway could be argued to be in #3; we'll have to see how it evolves next quarter. And so on. But it's never a story of an individual market - it's the overall global picture that matters.

Do realize that the overall picture for Tesla is inherently noisy. Tesla does not maintain significant amounts of inventory (vs. traditional automakers which have months of inventory). Tesla has to forecast every single quarter how much demand will show up in that quarter, for each model and each configuration, because of how long shipping takes. It has to then decide on which markets to expand into that quarter and what pricing to set on each market (a complex optimization problem, balancing out the one-time and ongoing costs of expansion vs. potential reduced revenue from lower pricing in existing markets). If any part of Tesla's forecasting is wrong, it can totally mess over the company's numbers for that quarter (Q1 is a great example of this). Tesla's sensitivity to forecast accuracy will decline significantly once it has a Gigafactory in each market, as shipping times will be greatly reduced. We'll be seeing one level of this soon with the opening of GF3.

Note that we're only talking about the basic aspects of the company and discounting the potential value of FSD, grid-scale storage, solar roofs, etc - each one of which, if it were to become widespread, could justify a market cap of hundreds of billions to trillions of dollars on their own. Also keep in mind exactly how expansive Tesla's scale goals are for vehicle production: they're working toward the production of 2TWh/yr. Try running some numbers on how many vehicles that works out to. And remember that Tesla is, unlike most automakers, highly vertically integrated (and becoming moreso) - e.g. it keeps much more of the profit from a sale for itself.

Tesla is a growth company. These inherently mean high long-term revenue projections, but high discounting for risk. Their valuation thus changes dramatically and rapidly as the risk picture changes. When you take a long or short position, remember this fact. Even mostly "bad news" can actually increase the value of the company simply by retiring downside risk - for example, 97k deliveries this quarter was below "average" market projections, and there was a short-term selloff, but it also eliminated the fear of demand weakness. And now look at the stock price vs. before the deliveries report.

One final thing. And I know you'll be tempted to discount this, but beware of the "TSLAQ Bubble". They love blocklists (their Twitter blocklist blocks out almost all bull accounts) and insulating themselves from contrary information in general. Always look out contrary information that questions your views (I always try to), and look for your own blind spots.

Happy shorting. We'll be here on the other side of the pond. :)

Last edited:
It's all been downhill since the hittites fell.

But at least we have the contents of their royal archives to peruse, including the peace treaty of Kadesh.

So many great libraries have been wilfully destroyed over time, yet this one miraculously endured, has been discovered and deciphered - and almost noone knows about it.

To stumble over such electrifying references in this place.

I wonder what do you think the post comparing Tesla's celebration of the first model S delivery at the end of a working production line, to Rivian's celebration of their first truck, in an completely empty hall?

From my POV, that post of his exactly supports his thesis that there's plenty of room in the EV market for multiple players, not just Tesla.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Also it is quite clear I reject the feeling here that metaphor is not a good way to make arguments. My reasoning that language itself, our best organ of perception, is a metaphor for reality.

While it's true that language is but a metaphor for reality (out of necessity), when language is used to describe a metaphor, then you have a metaphor within a metaphor. So it is illogical to reason that since language is but a metaphor, that justifies using a metaphor within a metaphor to make an argument.

To use a metaphor to argue this point I could say "Since ditch-digging is inherently dirty work, it's OK to dump the discarded dirt on the boots of your co-workers as you excavate the ditch." ;)

Seriously though, metaphors can be useful to get a difficult to understand concept across, but it's very difficult to use a metaphor to argue a point in a compelling way.

Hi, I'm a "short" (a student with only peanuts I can afford to lose at stake, a very small fraction of the position size most of you likely have).

I come in peace! I'd like to have respectful conversations, ask questions about the current bull line of thinking, and provide answers about the current bear line of thinking if anyone would like to know. I hope that's OK.

More specifically, I had one question in mind about revenues. Since deliveries are up YoY, do bulls generally expect revenue also to be up? I've seen some chatter and modeling suggesting revenues to be around $6.5B, which would be below 2018 Q3. I have no idea if this is going to be correct or not; just offering what I'm reading on my feed. Any thoughs on whether this is possible, expected, or unlikely would be appreciated.

Everything KarenRei said about is why we believe the long thesis. That being said, it's perfectly fine to buy puts or short prior to ER. There will always be auto pilot crashes, battery fires, and negative headlines about ER going around that makes TSLA cycle like clockwork. It's kind of a gamble, but you do have the media on your side. CNBC will no doubt blow everything you said out of proportion.

Currently SP is spiking due to people pricing in that bankruptcy will be unlikely for the foreseeable future (remember this is the month Tesla is suppose to go bankrupt per Elon if cash burn was at Q1 levels). Long term shorts don't want their money to be held up in Tesla forever.